Need Advice on Buying Talon Tsi

Hey, i was recently thinking of buying a talon Tsi, but i was wondering if i should be driving that thing around the winter time? Because i was hoping to get a “quicker” car, but along the same note im just wondering if it’s good enough as a winter vehicle.

also, does anybody have a ballpark price around how much a new clutch and an E-brake cable would be for a '90 Tsi?

Thanks in advance, plz don’t flame too bad…seeing as how it’s a talon…lol.

www.nacdsm.org . You won’t find much love for DSMs on this board… or any other board thats NOT for DSMs, haha. If you want something fast, yet reliable, pick up a turbo nissan or honda.

I hear they are super reliable and super fast…Thats what their owners tell me.

I think a 1G DSM would make a great winter beater. As long as you have cash to deal with the DSM “curse”.

Oh, and would you like a leash for that crank?

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72966

uhh, i dunno what you guys are talking about but the 1st gen talons never really got the whole crank walk thing, it was mainly the 2nd gens…

yea, i was looking into getting a first gen talon, '90, guy is selling for cheap, but it needs a new clutch and ebrake cable, other than that, it’s sapposedly a “good” car.

Looking into either that rx7 on this site, sunfire gt, or a cheap civic, whichever seems like the best deal in the end. Or a light pick up.

Look into transmission reliability too. I know little about these cars, but I know a guy who had to replace a gearbox or at least some parts. He seemed to think he should have known about it if he’d done his homework.

i’ve known 4 people with a talon and 3/4 had the same 2nd gear problem, grinds ALOT

Its not the transmission thats the problem per say, its the transfer case , they are pron to drips and if you don’t keep an eye on it it will leak all the fluid out and then BOOM.

its just a mechanics car …they are good if you have the time to baby them …

1g are good for cheap …but if you dont like working on a car in thw winter then get a sunfire or something

my budy has had a talon for the last 4 years and has never had a problem with anything, all he does the main routine maintanence, nothing special

DO NOT get a sunfire, ive been daily driving one and its nothing but problems, random clunks, HORRIBLE gas meilage when youre under half tank of gass… i have no idea why? makes another weired noise while eccellerating, dont goto sunfires for reliable, i thought that too, its a newer car it should be good,nope…go for the civic if youre going for reliability.

i used to be a dsm guy, i had 2 talons. my 5 speed tsi was a lot quicker than a stock 180 or silvia. but it had 3" turbo back exhaust and a few other things.

they make great winter cars if they are under 200,000km and you’re willing to fix a few things, and willing for many rusty bolts to break followed by swearing and throwing tools. but for the most part i didn’t have any major troubles with either of my talons.

my end opinion of DSMs:

a) the condition of your car will depend on the previous owners… it can be enjoyable or hell to own one. in my case one talon was lady driven from the start, and the other was babied and never winter driven.

b) while modding or repairing, you WILL break bolts and swear… use tons and tons of liquid wrench for days before attempting to remove and bolts attached to the head.

c) the 4g63t motor makes some nice power with simple un-restricting mods like exhaust/intake.

will i buy one again? maybe as a project car but not a daily driver.

^^ exactly

Hahahah, gas mileage doesn’t change as the needle drops. LOL It’s the calibration of the guage. Ever notice how most cars when filled up, sit at full for 100kms? Then slowly goes down, and drops like a stone after half? That’s the way manufacturers calibrate the guage to work. Car and Driver had an article a few years back where people were complaining about a certain GM car and it having shitty mileage. They changed the fuel guage calibration and complaints went away. The cars still used the same amount of gas, but people are so dumb they think it gets better mileage this way.

snicker snicker :E

Lol, thanks for all your help guys, what about that rx7 on this site then…think that’s a better buy than talon that need a new clutch/e-brake cable, both of these cars will be driven in the winter also.

Whats with you wanting the worst reliable cars? lol. Get a 240 for $1500 and throw a 2 grand SR20 into it. Bada-bing bada-boom