question regarding talon/eclipse/laser: are they worth it?

Hey guys.

I have a question regarding the talon/eclipse/laser. How do they compare to 240sx’s in terms of speed, handling and modability? They seem to be much faster than 240s stock, and quite cheap to make them go faster.

From what i have researched, they do not seem to be as reliable as 240s, but then again, what i read on the net should be taken with a grain of salt. I am looking at my neighbour’s 94 tsi awd thats for sale. Looks to be in good condition, with low kilometers.

A common issue seems to be crankwalk. But after researching some more, it seems that only the g2 generation seems to suffer from them…and even amongst them, its not as common as i previously thought.

Your opinions?

Brian

stay with a 240sx more reliable

haha yeah, reliability seems to be their downfall.

Anything/Anyone else?

take one of those to a tranny shop and ask them to do your clutch.

if they say yes… :ky: get ready…

they will most likely say no. like avery said stick with a 240

If you want a daily driver, 240SX without even a second thought. But for a drag car… DSMs are pretty potent.

Is there any particular reason why they should say no? Just wondering…

Other than that, the reason why im considering a talon is mainly because how easy it is to make it go fast.

If i buy it, it would be a weekend-only car. I have my s13 for a daily driver.

Plus, it seems that those cars are getting rarer by the day. They either run 12’s or are 16 second rust buckets. Dont find unmodded ones anymore

Hey guys.

I have a question regarding the talon/eclipse/laser. How do they compare to 240sx’s in terms of speed, handling and modability? They seem to be much faster than 240s stock, and quite cheap to make them go faster.

From what i have researched, they do not seem to be as reliable as 240s, but then again, what i read on the net should be taken with a grain of salt. I am looking at my neighbour’s 94 tsi awd thats for sale. Looks to be in good condition, with low kilometers.

A common issue seems to be crankwalk. But after researching some more, it seems that only the g2 generation seems to suffer from them…and even amongst them, its not as common as i previously thought.

Your opinions?

Brian

stay with a 240sx more reliable

haha yeah, reliability seems to be their downfall.

Anything/Anyone else?

take one of those to a tranny shop and ask them to do your clutch.

if they say yes… :ky: get ready…

they will most likely say no. like avery said stick with a 240

If you want a daily driver, 240SX without even a second thought. But for a drag car… DSMs are pretty potent.

Is there any particular reason why they should say no? Just wondering…

Other than that, the reason why im considering a talon is mainly because how easy it is to make it go fast.

If i buy it, it would be a weekend-only car. I have my s13 for a daily driver.

Plus, it seems that those cars are getting rarer by the day. They either run 12’s or are 16 second rust buckets. Dont find unmodded ones anymore

240s are 17 second rust buckets :smiley:

:lol: The battle of the rustbuckets

talons are sweet but the tranny’s are shit and they have crank issues when you rip them too much. 240’s on the other hand dont break down too often but they are slow, rusty, and slow. did i mention how slow they were?
you could buy a TSi talon and turn the boost up a bit and have the same sort of power that you’d get if you spent $5,000 or so on getting a 240 up to the same sort of powerband, plus you could drive it in the winter.
240’s are uber mainstream and pimp tho.
good luck.

240s are mainstream for sure! But its just that i expect more heat from the popo in the coming months, especially after “the movie” comes out. I dont drive like an idiot, and my car dosnt look like an airplane, but cops keep hassling you and what not, doing their “routine stops”. :o

Plus I want a LITTLE more speed :lol: Does anyone know how much it costs to swap a tranny in a dsm?

I used to own a talon. There is a huge misconception with the transmissions. If modify the hell out of it and go do 5K launches at the track then yes you will be replacing them quite frequently. Think about it 400whp and AWD, of course you will have tranny issues.

But if you mod it for 300whp and drive it normally then it will be fine.

The 2Gs to suffer from crankwalk, its a hit or miss thing, like some JDM motors are worn and other arent. 96-97 were the worst years for it. If it happens you replace the motor with a 1G and you are set.

DSMs are SUPER mod friendly. A boost controller and a fuel pump will net you close to 300hp and 13sec time slips. Slap a turbo and injectors into the mix and you have a solid 12 sec car. The problem is that they are approaching the 10 year marker and AWD systems arent cheap to maintain. So you do end up paying more in the long run for maintanence. Again, its how you make it, you can buy them dirt cheap but dont expect it to not have problems.

I went to a 240 because I wanted RWD and great handling. The AWDs are heavy and take alot to make them into good track cars. For the dragstrip they cannot be beat buck for buck.

crank walk…

i used to wana get one…

Oh and rwd yay x2 hence my 240sx now…

They are the best bang for the buck for 1/4 racers… but hey… maintenance etc… are issues…

Usually ppl swap in the 6bolt 1Gs

I’ve owned 3 DSMs, a galant, talon, and a colt (my current driver)

it’s only the 7 bolt 4g63t’s that suffer crankwalk, the 6 bolts (1st gen) are fine.

the only problem I have personally is that the 6 bolt motors are old, but then again, so are S13 sr’s (in fact, they are the same age)

most with a 2g go with a 1g motor (much like s14 guys get s13 sr’s)

like mentioned, the motors are potent, the slighest mod and they’ll rip.

as far as reliability, yeah, they have issues, sh… breaks all the time, but then again, same goes with all cars.

as long as you take care of it you shouldn’t have anymore problems with it then any other car.

if you get it though, make sure you change the timing belt… those factory mitsu ones have a tendancy to snap :wink:

hater!