Need Help Checking Whats Damaged on a B20/Vtec

Well was thinking of learning something and why not learn on a motor i have no clue on what to do lol.

This would be my first true rebuild…
Well what i have is this
B20B4 Block
B16 Head
It developed a horrible ticking noise…so i decided to break it down and see whats wrong.
The noise was all across the rpm band. right as soon as you start it up it had the noise

After examining the head and block. i noticed that there were some metal shavings mixed with the oil
another thing noticed is there were damage to the pistons. it looks like the valves were hitting the piston causing a indentation into the pistons itself.

Could this be the cause of the noise? might be a bent valve?

I plan i rebuilding the whole motor. but have no clue on what parts is damaged if i look at it lol.

What kind of damage should i look for on the block?
the cylinder walls looks perfect. no scoring or anything the cross hone are still visible.

how do i check the bearing clearance and conrod clearance where do i find the clearance? etc. if there is a write up on how to rebuild the bottom end of b20 that would be excellent too lol.

I know its alot of question but bear with me lol. im a newbie at this.

I would just buy another b20, I’m pretty sure those are insanely cheap. Learn to build it that way.

i already have the b20 and b16 head…im just rebuilding it but want to find out what was wrong with it to begin with.

if you go to hondahookup.com and sign up, you can download the entire integra, civic, and other model Helm’s manuals.

All the tolerances, clearnaces, etc are in the Helm’s.

ticking noises can be so many things…

Sounds like either the cam timing was off, or the head was shaved down a LOT cuz theres no way w/ stock pistons it should be making piston-valve contact…or the valve lashes weren’t adjusted.

also check the lost motion assemblies, there are 8 of them, under the vtec lobes…they sometimes go bad and cause a ticking noise.

Thanks toda for the insight. I will check the lost motion tonight what should I check for? Play? Clearance? Movement?

And for the valve strikin the piston would that cause the ticking noise?

It looks like the indentation were fresh and the ticking noise being recent. I thought they were related to each other. Head was never shaved and ill try to get pictures of the indent on the piston head to show you. Where it was strikin.

Could a bad bearing cause the ticking noise through the rpm bad?

b20 vtecs have a reputation for stretching rods also. I would compare the rod lengths to specs while you have it apart

I dled the integra service manual and MAN did that help during my turbo build!

DO IT!