Need help making a reverse gear for a small project.

Whelp,

I’m going to be embarking on a small,fun, street legal project. Something to do in the midst of working on the Datsun.

I have a motorcyle engine that is shaft driven. Has 5 gears, none of which are reverse. Before I start building, I want to have a fully functional reverse system in place.

So, I need to make a simple, effective reverse gear box. Something I can easily engage and disengage. It would have to happen AFTER the driveshaft- no modification to the engine’s internal tranny.

Basically, if you’re working with a spinning drive shaft, I want to install a gear box that will allow me which to choose the direction of the output . I understand that adding an extra gear will cause a direction change, but I’m clueless on design and layout. This needs to be as small as possible and cable operated ( drive gears will be controlled via paddle or electronic button shifters, the reverse gear wil probably be floor mounted, click forward to go forward, pull back on the handle to (engage) and go backwards).

I’m thinkin something like this might be available for go carts or something, but I searched to no avail.

I can use anyone’s thoughts/ideas or if someone knows a little more about gearing, chime in!

Bumpage, thread was moved :tup:

why do you need reverse?

this isn’t really a simple task…

i’m with dan, why does this have to reverse?

http://www.autotech.com/quaife/index2.htm

Click on “For Motorcycle powered cars”…bottom of the page.

Coinicidentally, we are Quiafe dealers.

[quote=“ecoshardcore,post:5,topic:29016"”]

http://www.autotech.com/quaife/index2.htm

Click on “For Motorcycle powered cars”…bottom of the page.

Coinicidentally, we are Quiafe dealers.

[/quote]

Sweet deal, that’s exactly what I’m looking for, though completley out of my price range for this toy. I’ll still keep you guys handy should I intended to invest a little more in to this, but for now it’s a small toy that will run me less than $600, including the donor bike it self.

To answer “why” do I need one, it’s so I can go in reverse :smiley: Depending how much fun I want to have with this thing, I may make it road legal. Ever hear of a t-rex? I’m not going to push this thing backwards every time I need to get out of a parking spot. Thus, need for reverse

[quote=“Schema,post:6,topic:29016"”]

To answer “why” do I need one, it’s so I can go in reverse :smiley: Depending how much fun I want to have with this thing, I may make it road legal. Ever hear of a t-rex? I’m not going to push this thing backwards every time I need to get out of a parking spot. Thus, need for reverse

[/quote]

what about using a high torque starter motor driving one of the wheels for the few times you do need reverse.

[quote=“newman,post:7,topic:29016"”]

what about using a high torque starter motor driving one of the wheels for the few times you do need reverse.

[/quote]

That’s a good idea. Good thing I thought of it :snky: :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll definetley keep that as an option. I’d have to see how much torqe those little buggers have vs how much power I’d need. I can even gear it so it has even more torque. Damn I’m a genius.

you could use a old golf kart drive train.