Need help with my moms Subie

hahahahahah , pull a plug out and feed some rope into the cylinder head threw the plug hole "obv not all of it " so it jams up the piston once it sets try loosesng the crank bolt

a huuugeeee breaker bar

Hmm John…that sounds like a good idea.

As for breaker bar, we’ve tried that.

We’ve tried a chain wrapped around the pulley a few times, the breaker bar, sticking a long thick piece of metal into the little holes in the pully and trying to ‘lodge’ it against the ground (with a 4x4, etc.) so the pulley wouldn’t spin when trying to break the nut, etc.

We’ll try the rope tomorrow. But after it ‘sets’, how do we get it out? Spin the crank the other way I’m assuming? lol.

Thanks John.

yeah spin the crank the other way and pull rope out

wtf rope

yeah ,its soft wont bend or gouge the metal and can easily be taken out

or since it’s an auto, you could just pull the inspection cover off the tranny and hold the flexplate with a prybar while your dad breaks the nut free.

Just torch the nut off, works 10% all the time.

lol

“50% of the time, it works all the time.”

God I love that quote.

years ago I was changing a broken timing belt in my mother-in-law’s ford contour. I was doing all the work in her yard with hand-tools only. The harmonic balancer nut would not budge. I used the rope trick to hold the engine from spining, put a breaker bar on the nut, tied a strap to the breaker bar and hooked the other end to the bumper of my truck. I pulled forward a few feet and it broke the nut free.

I swear to god this worked that one time… backyard mechanics at its best… when you don’t have the right tool for the job, make one. It probably would have come loose with a length of pipe on the bar, but I was doing this job in her yard on ramps so there was no room for pipe under the car…

She still has the car and it still runs.

We’ll try the rope and if not, the transmission inspection cover or whatever. I was also told I could remove the starter and lodge something preventing the flywheel from spinning. Is that the same thing?

yes that is exactly the same as what i posted. the inspection cover is going to be your easiest and best route.

Just be careful not to damage the teeth on the flywheel or bend it.

So, we decided not to do the flywheel method due to risk of f’in up the teeth, etc.

We also didn’t do the rope method because 1) we don’t have a rope big enough to lodge the shaft and 2)

We’ve managed to finally stop the crank pulley from spinning while trying to loosen it (while having a chain, etc. wrapped around it very tight), however…this has already snapped 1 belt (used on our riding lawn mower - pretty thick) and 1 decently thick rope.

This crank pulley is on for life I think.

Does anyone have a chain wrench that would fit on this pulley? Probably like 18inch or so? The book specifically states chain wrench, so there must be something to this things.

go buy 3 dollar rope ,or pull rad and all other bolt ons off front of car and use a real impact gun on it .

you’re not gonna hurt the flywheel. i’ve done a billion this way.

so have i ,ever think about takin it to someone that knows what they are doin ? not knockin ya but at this rate you will never know what is up or if its safe

Negative. My dad is old school European. Car will be down for a month but he will be the one fixing it. I could suggest it all I want lol. He ain’t payin anyone to do anything. Shoot, we built a $70,000 garage with just him and my 2 brothers. Not a single contractor was involved. Steel beams welded, cement mixed/poured, electrical, etc.

I think I’ll just talk him into removing the radiator, etc. That’s probably the easiest/safest way.

ahhhhhhh got it