New gears = Messed up Speedometer

i bought 4:10s and t lock for my car a while ago, and i want to put the damn things in. I dont want to until i find out how to fix my speedometer for obvious reasons, anyone have any idea where or how i can fix this. Thanks

whats wrong with the speedo?

I’m pretty sure you’re speedometer is electronically controlled on the 2004. You’re going to need to retune to fix the speedo. I know my 2004 Mach 1, I had to reprogram it only when I switched to 4.30s

Purchase a pocket programmer, or goto a place that offers dyno tuning.

I know the older style SN95’s (94-98) could correct this issue with a proper speedo tooth gear size. May want to double check and see if you can just do this instead. I think they cost about $80

oops, wasn’t sure what he meant adn now i do, what about laurel mountian stangs? couldnt they reprogram it?

Handheld tuner.

I dont think they have an open license for tuning Mustangs, since they dont really have a garage or diagnostic equipment. Rodeheaver could probably do it though.

and I checked, speedo tooth gear wont work on 99-04 stangs, have to go through the ecu to retune it.

what kind’ve power are you looking to put down with the v6? I know a lot of guys who have supercharged and turbocharged the V6, and made about 350hp or so, and snapped that stock 7.5" rear like a twig. I would’ve prob bought an 8.8 out of a GT and swapped it on, for the cost of opening up the diff, and installing everything, probably would’ve been a bit more, but cheaper in the long run.

Y would u need a license? same thing as power tuner or HP isn’t it?

those things can only put a tune on 1 vehicle at a time… changing the speedo calibration is considered a written tune

Written as in software right?

once you save a change to the pcm/ecu with one of those things, it VIN locks itself to that vehicle. Until you unwrite what you did… i.e. restore the defaults

Ahh i see, i thought it was as simple as a tune or software rewrite programm

if you have an open dealer/tuner license for the programs ya then it works like that, but those usually cost a few $$

but usually a retailer like Laural Mountain, wouldn’t have a need for a license like that, since they do not do service work at their facility, just retail.

well that sucks for him then

I picked up a hypertech programmer for about 150 on eBay for my truck.
(Maybe 170?) You can only use it on 1 vehicle at a time.

You just type in what gears you have and tire size and it calibrates the speedometer for you.

yup, exactly what I was explaining. Unless you have the actual software thats usually used from a laptop or desktop computer and a tuner license, the handhelds are worthless unless you actually purchase one for just yourself

Good info. I didn’t know this…

im not looking anything like that really, just the 4:10’s maybe a cam over the summer and all the bolt ons, 350 is outta my reach. But an 8.8 has definiatly crossed my mind once or twice, but right now i think its unneccesary. thanks everyone for the imput rmpoutlet.com sells a programmer plus underdrive pullies for like 400 and the programmer will fix the gear and speedo problem