New RX8 owner

Hey all. My name is Rob, I’m 23, and I live a stones throw away from South Park. I am the owner of a new 2004 Velocity Red Mazda RX-8. Check it out here . It’s nicely equipped with the GT package (power heated leather seats and HID lights) and NAV.

I have a bad habit of not keeping cars for a long time, but I think the 8 will stick around. It’s got enough oomph for me, but is an extremely good daily driver. My second worst bad habit is modding cars constantly so I don’t foresee the car looking like it does for very long…HI!

Welcome.

welcome to the site

hello, and welcome, im stones away from south park you could say too, nice 8, i seen a badass one that looks gunmetal at rita’s the other night… friend of yours too?

welcomw

welcome:beer:

Hi,i,m from the fucking town of bethel too…

Nah, I’ve seen a couple 8s around, but haven’t had the chance to stop and talk shop with anyone yet. I did a quick search on the board here and didn’t see any other RX-8 owners from around here.

I used to own a 2002 Mustang GT and I was a little afraid that the decrease in torque would suck immensely, but it quickly proved me wrong. Anyone ever drive a rotary?

GTP,
Give a honk if ya pass…

Welcome to the site. I like the RX8, it just needs a turbo tossed on it. The one I drove was great, really smoothe, just no power.

never drove one, but rode in a built 93 RX7 TT like 4 years ago… and was holding on for deal life, i feel safe in bigger built cars like the cobra and SS but in such a tiny car like the rx it felt kinda weird

The1SloShelby,
I totally agree with you. I’m from a family that owns primary SUVs and pickup trucks so getting a smaller car was definitely a new one for me. My last car was a 2003 Nissan Murano, so this was a big change.

I fell for the 8 because of the connected feeling I have with the car. My Mustang GT felt agressive and I never really felt like I was part of the car. I had the same feeling in the Z car I test drove. As soon as I hopped in the 8 I felt at home. It has all the luxuries my MO had (NAV was a factory must) and it’s much cheaper. The thing handles extremely well and is happy in rush hour traffic – I commute into work in downtown, PGH everyday. I’ve also never been in a car that goes around every turn without even squealing the tires.

I know people without oomph usually say that its all in how the thing handles the turns and thats kind of what I was looking for. Plus I like the fact that the rotary is a mechanical marvel of sorts…600 less moving parts compared to a regular engine? 238 hp? pretty cool.

BTW…thanks for the warm welcome!

welcome! cool car

I drove an RX-8… very weak down below, but once you get it up past 7000rpm or so, it takes off decent. Kind of reminds me of an S2000 power wise.

past 7000rpms!!! :eek2: whats the redline on that rotary???

btw NVMYGT, 1 car i fell in love with was the 2004 Lincoln LS… by far the most comfortable car i’ve ever rode in… not the fastest V6, but i think you can get them in an 8

ya Lincoln LS is available in a 3.9L V8.

I believe the RX8, revs to about 9200 rpms

but makes little to no power below 7000

welcome

welcome to pittspeed

welcome! my friend down here has a blue 04. Pretty quick car.

welcome to the board

I think you’d be surprised by how fast the car is. Granted, it’s no 390 HP cobra, but it has an amazing way of going faster than you think you are going. Last weekend I went from downtown to Washington and in my little cruise on the highway I hit 100 effortlessly. Cruise control quickly came on, because I don’t trust myself with this car. A couple days ago I quickly ran through the first 4 gears (its a 6 spd) and when I looked down I was going 135. I don’t condone this nor will I ever do it again :wink: In a Mustang, you feel like you are going this fast…in the 8 you feel like you are driving miss Daisy. I wish there was a place I could test its top speed…150 has to be fun.

By the way, does anyone else get annoyed when someone talks about a car they just bought and part of the bragging rights is that their speedometer goes up to 1xx? That’s another reason I love this car: Digital Speedo, and with the way that it is positioned it is perfectly hidden from unsuspecting passengers.