post your thoughts on the RX8

i know its under powered. im looking for major flaws or common problems that i might not have heard of with these cars. post away oh nit-picky automotive enthousiasts of NYspeed.

the only thing i know is that they are underpowered like u said

and its rotary, thats bagging for problems

i’ve heard they had to replace a ton of motors around the 60K mark.

they had a problem with cars overheating down in the warmer climates down south… haven’t heard of that problem up north tho, fwiw

:tdown:

Ditching the Z for and RX-8?

I like them, honsetly, but I don’t think I’d ever get one.

The problems came mostly with the 4 port autos. They only had one oil cooler and didn’t revv as high so they had heat and carbon buildup issues. If you buy one defiantly buy used. I got mine with 7k miles on it for 21k sticker was 36k. The resale is shit on them. Also, if gas mileage is an issue def don’t get this car. I get about 14 to 15mpg in the city and 21 to 22 highway. The straight line speed isn’t there but the car isn’t about that.

Also, cobb is coming out with an accessport for this car late this summer which should make tuning FI setups much easier. I guess some FI kits are scheduled to come out around when cobb releases the accessport. Basically I look at it as a more practical s2k…slower and not as raw.

That being said… I like mine a lot and plan on keeping it for awhile. I am sure a lot of people will hate on it but I say drive one and decide for yourself.

hell no, im not ditching the z.

we have an auto rx8 at work. ive always liked the way they look, so i took it home for the weekend. i loved the way it handled and all the interior novelties. the back seats are surprisingly comfy and theres plenty of room up front. i just wanted to know if there are any major setbacks to the car. ive heard of a ‘flooding’ issue, but i havent been able to find a clear definition of what happens.

First off…

:tup:

secondly…

i’ve always been a fan of the looks/styling of the RX8, but i’d never own one…for the money i’d much rather have an evo or an sti or a 350Z…

i dont know much about the problems with the car, other than the problem that exists in the cost to performance ratio…

for that kinda money i want an all around performing car, not something that shines in handling, and not really anywhere else…

When I test drove an RX-8 I found it to have a MASSIVE blind spot with the C-pillar. It handled well, though. Engine had nice range, but never seemed to have enough grunt. My WRX pulls like a freight train compared to it. Just my thoughts.

I liked it woodrow, but for the money you’d spend, id rather you pick up a 2008 lancer.

Edited, but I feel about the same.

I’ve heard some real bad things about oil consumption. Check out the long term test at Car and Driver. Long term tests are a great way to see how the vehicle is going to “wear”. That article, along with other supporting stories I found online, was why I crossed the RX8 off my list.

“The perforated sun visors,” he wrote in a moment of aggravated eloquence, “are as clever as a perforated boat.”

All rotaries supply oil to the rotor/housing to lubricate the apex seals, checking your oil religiously is somthing you just do when you own a rotary powered car.

The RX8, according to Mazda, is supposed to use 1 quart every 10k miles. Many people are reporting 1 quart every 3k miles or less, which is what C&D observed in their long term test car.

i feel there’s better ways to spend the money woody. and why didn’t you call me and let me abuse this borrowed car?

i drove one for about 15miles or so. i thoguht it was a lot of fun…handles great…really smooth, sounds cool for stock.comfortable…as long as you have a high powered Z or whatever else i guess for “fun” its not a bad car by anymeans i’d say…but like everyone said there might be better options for the $

I have been in one of my friends in Toronto. It was fun. You can bang gears at 9k. I say buy it.

the 08 lancer was my original car of choice for a dd, but its not going to be nearly as fun as the 8 was. actually i really wanted a new legacy gt, but im not spending that much money on a dd. if i have to spend 3 bucks every month to keep up on the oil…damn, thats rough.

for less than 20k, i might be able to find a well abused sti or evo, or a lightly abused wrx… the problem with finding those cars is that 95% of the time, they were owned by kids and they had the shit kicked out of them for 40k miles. im not looking to buy a beat car. the 8’s ive seen all have low mileage and the owners seem to take good care of them.

im open to any other suggestions for fun dd’s around or under 20k, new or used. im looking for something with 4 seats, comfy, good handling, and good styling. if it has more than enough power, im going to try to get more out of it…so thats a no no. power mods go into 1 car, not 2.