NHL Draft **now the official NHL OFFSEASON thread**

agreed.

add in there, that while detroit is a bigger market than buffalo, they are having significantly deeper economic problems. they weren’t selling out games into the playoffs! so they are operating in a similar environment.

I never said I didn’t respect their ability to win or run a successful hockey club. Im just sick of seeing them win and hear everyone on their team say oh this is my 5th,6th, 7th cup blah blah.Im lack of a better way of putting it im jealous :slight_smile: of what their hockey team is and buffalo is far from.

well rafalski and lidstrom are defense but they are just stacked all around… If anything id say that osgood is their weak point and he isnt as good as hes made out to be… I only enjoyed watching detroit because of hasek but they are going to rape this year…

I Know their defense, but look at lidstrom. He had 70 pts in the regular season, which obviously contributed alot to their offensive skill. I was just saying with hossa, datsyuk, zetterberg, holstrom,filppula, and franzen. The amount of talent on that team right now is ridiculous

1:22PM Dallas Stars sign UFA Forward Sean Avery to a four-year, $15.5 million contract.

wow didnt see him going there, oh well now we wont have to deal with his faggot ass as much.

Yep, the key difference is management smarts. Detroit would have locked up a guy like Campbell even before he got to the 5 years 25 million range. No way Detroit would have lost Drury & Briere in the same year or let things go so bad that you grossly overpay Vanek just to stop the ship from sinking.

Being consistantly good is about seeing the future and other than the one time when the future just happened to align with Buffalo’s management style (post lockout) they haven’t been very good at reading the crystal ball.

Maybe buffalo dosent have the cap.
Ofcourse they have the cap room, but maybe they dont have 44 million sitting around.

i dont quite know that i will ever get over what has transpired with the sabres over the last year. clearly, i have only baseline hockey fan knowledge… however, i was able to identify as soon as briere received the $4mill arbitration award, that they needed to lock up briere and drury long before they hit the market. same with campbell, he should have been signed before july 1st of LAST summer. if i can identify market trends without expensive and intricate analysis, then why cant the sabres?

again, i love this team so much, yet it still actually hurts to think about how close we were and how quickly it was dismantled.

exactly… when you resign your own guys it ends up saving you money too, apparently buffalo doesn’t realize that

please stop, i dont even know what that means. :bloated:

I don’t like what the league is becoming.

Nobody is going to be able to hold onto their players unless they are a top team every year, like Detroit where the players will take a cut to stay for an opportunity to go for more cups.

It ultimately will mean that all teams will not be on equal ground even with the salary cap in place, which is why it was put into place in the first place.

I think the league is heading for disaster regarding the need for player salary caps and I don’t mean with just another one year lock-out. I can see a much larger one looming when the cba expires again.

100% agree.

when does the cba expire anyway?

2:33PM Ottawa Senators sign UFA Forward Shean Donovan to a two-year contract.

fuck hossa and the extra .4mil he needed over the pitt offer.

malkin 5 year deal though

"The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed Evgeni Malkin to a five year contract extension.

The extension mirrors the one signed by Penguins captain Sidney Crosby in July of 2007, a five-year deal averaging $8.7 million.

Malkin, 21, emerged as an NHL superstar in his second season, finishing second in the league with 106 points before adding 22 points in 20 playoff games and has one season remaining on his current contract, so the extension would take effect in the 2009-2010 season.

That means that the duo of Crosby and Malkin are both going to be under contract with the Penguins through 2013."

midnight(NY time) September 15, 2011

3:03PM Ottawa Senators sign UFA Forward Jarkko Ruutu to a three-year, $3.9 million contract.

ugh, Jarkko and Neil on the same team…2 of my most hated players lol

alright im back after a day off from this sheer stupidity

its like i said before…doesnt anyone remember back when the league IMPLODED upon itself when jagr had an 8 mill/season contract? this upcoming CBA may destroy hockey forever…this shit has gone BEYOND retarded

brian campbell now makes more money than niklas lidstrom, arguably the best defenseman of all time (aside from bourque or orr)…i’m not saying he’s not good, but he’s not worth that much money

wade redden signs with NY for 6.5 per season…uhhh, anyone else notice his numbers have been in steady DECLINE for the last 3 seasons??? also unreal that the rangers have 30 million invested in 5 players…lundqvfag, drury, gomez, roszival (another fucking joke at 5.5/season), and now redden…wow…

hossa…what a joke…7.4 for one year…i bet he has a huge season playing aside either datsyuk or zetterberg though…

matts fucking sundin…over the hill…washed up even…and he has not one but TWO offers of 10 million per season…about to become the richest player in the NHL…at the age of thirty f’ing seven…give crosby 10 per season, give malkin 10 per season, give brodeur 10 per season…not sundin…thats IGNORANT

and my final rant and the TRUE sign that the apocalypse is upon us…

Sean Avery signs a 4 year contract worth nearly 4 million per season…sean avery…someone who hasn’t EVER scored more than 15 goals in a season…the retard who thought a good idea for a powerplay is waving your stick in a goalies face…the same guy who called out a player who is now (actually was i guess, lol drury) his teammate saying he would end his season…

seriously, i hate the NHL now, only because of sean avery…if he was on the sabres, he would be the highest paid player on the team…fucking stupid GM’s…

i still dont understand how they can pay these salaries, and allow the salary cap to keep going up when revenues arent following the same trends.