No More Front Plates!

This is a petition to getting rid of the front licence plate in Ontario. Please be mature when making comments and sign YOUR real name.

These were my comments in case anyone needs ideas:
My front plate damages my front bumper by putting in unnecessary holes and scratches into it when passing through the car wash. Also, the plate at times falls off in the car wash and is very flimsy on the front, I have heard reports of people getting their front plates stolen and used at gas stations to steal gas. Last year, I had a small bumper to bumper accident that caused no damage except for licence plate holes in my rear bumper and some blue and white paint off the plate. Please get rid of this useless plate. It is costing drivers of Ontario money when registering the vehicle and wasting natural resources to create these things. Quebec and some northern states have no front plates and there are no issues in these areas. Please take this into deep consideration.

What the petition states:

Honourable Donna Cansfield
Minister of Transportation
M.P.P. Etobicoke Centre

We, the Undersigned, petition the Province of Ontario to revoke the current law requiring the display of a front license plate on passenger vehicles. We believe that there are significant benefits in not requiring front license plates and our reasons for this belief are briefly summarized in the paragraphs below.

Firstly, eliminating the need for a front license plate will significantly reduce the Province’s costs associated with production, storage, and accounting for the additional plate. In 2004 the province of Saskatchewan joined five other provinces who no longer require a front license plate - reportedly saving the government $370 000 per year, while helping to reduce insurance costs. See http://www.gov.sk.ca/news?news

Secondly, the front license plate negatively affects the efficiency of the vehicle by interrupting the aerodynamics with the plate at the vehicle’s primary point of attack. Further, many vehicles suffer further losses in efficiency with the front plate’s blockage of large portions of the front air-intake of the vehicle, resulting in increased fuel consumption, and increased greenhouse emissions.

Thirdly, unnecessary damage is sustained from minor bumper-to-bumper collisions, resulting from the front plate mounting brackets and bolts on passenger cars, which cause cracks and abrasions to the rear bumpers of the cars that they hit, which would otherwise be absorbed.

Alberta, Quebec, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Saskatchewan and the three territories use single license plates. With Ontario’s population greater than 10x that of Saskatchewan, the demonstrated tax savings for the Province would be millions of dollars per year, every year. In light of the cost savings for the Province, cutting greenhouse emissions, and other positive effects, we are asking that this law be repealed.

Sincerely,

Let me rephrase it for you guys and cut out the BS.

"We, the Undersigned, petition the Province of Ontario to revoke the current law requiring the display of a front license plate on passenger vehicles. We believe that there are significant benefits in not requiring front license plates and our reasons for this belief are summarized in the sentence below.

My car will look a lot cooler without a front licence plate.

Thank you

well said^^.

we all know that law won’t get changed… doesn’t the police usually aim at the front plates when they are doing speed traps?

no front plates in novascotia. why ontario?
i say off with the plates. its un neccacry when the camera for speeding catches you its always the rear plate. and cops always follow people people to pull them over, not get ahead of them. so i beleive its a waste of money for both us and the government to make them.
Scott Fraser

With the lasers they aim it at the plate, makes their job easier, therefore they will never get rid of it.

Sask doesnt have front plates either