Noise when turning left

I had a creaking and groaning when turning left, with any torque at the wheel… and the dealership replaced my left front axle. For 1000 miles, the creaking/groaning went away, but it came back.

I brought the car into the dealership, and they tightened everything on the front left, and it went away for about 75 miles, and then came back. Every day, it gets worse and worse, and they tell me it isn’t the axle, as it is brand new.

From a stop, reverse or straight, if the wheel is turned left and torque hits the wheel, you can feel it pop in the steering wheel as well as the pedals, and it makes a groaning sound.

If the wheel is turned right, nothing. All is normal.

Can anyone explain what else it could be besides the axle? Can it be anything else?

I have a 2006 Mazdaspeed 6.

Thanks :slight_smile: I’m sick of bringing my car in time and time again for them to tighten bolts, not feel or hear the problem, and send me on my way. I need another idea.

Wheel bearing

rack and pinnion binding

jack up the car, can you wiggle the wheel? if so maybe wheel bearing… but it doesn’t really sound like a creaking noise, more like a loud hummm from what i’ve ever heard

Stop driving that car like a Formula1 race car and you wont have these issues.

Most techs at dealerships are fucking idiots. I wouldnt put any value on anything they tell you. Just because a part is “new” (just installed) doesnt mean that:

#1 The new part is defective
#2 Idiots installed it wrong which led to premature wear and a failure

http://www.imazda.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11870

I can have someone diagnose it for you

they replaced the axle and for 1000 miles it was fine. i did a ton of thruway driving at 80+ MPH (trip to South Carolina… 1400 miles on the new axle)

I didn’t drive aggressively at all. Just 80+ MPH driving on the thruway.

Wouldn’t the rack and pinion binding as well as a wheel bearing make noise regardless of the wheel being turned the the left or right?

I will jack up the car and see if i can wiggle the wheel.

As for the rack and pinion binding, can you give me some more info on why it would only make noise when turning left, and why tightening up bolts would make the noise go away after 75 miles? I kinda want to steer the dealership in the right direction to get this fixed :slight_smile:

possibly early signs of a transfer case? do you launch it much?

not much at all. if ever I drive hard, I’m already moving. The speed6 doesn’t have a very strong rear diff, so I don’t want it to snap like so many others :slight_smile:

I just went outside and did a couple of reverse out into the street and then back into the driveway maneuvers, and I noticed that if I rev the engine a little more, but use the clutch to keep the car going the same speed… the clicking and sensation in the wheel gets faster as the engine revs, and doesnt change with the speed.

It is not a ball joint or wheel bearing. I can be going .5 MPH and with enough extra torque, I can get it to do it.

Steering Column?

If it is the steering column, why did the problem go away for 1,400 miles on my trip, only to come back later?

This is irritating. I don’t want to keep taking time off of work to keep dropping off and picking up my car at the dealer! LOL

Lesson: If the dealer didn’t figure it out the first 2 times = they are too stupid to do so and will not on consecutive attempts

is the car under warranty?

yep, the car is under warranty. that’s why i keep going back.

This time tho, I want some direction for them. They said they tightened up some stuff last time, and it went away. That makes me feel that it is not the axle. Also, there is way too much feeling associated with the clicking to make it the axle. Even a very faint click is noticed just as easily in the steering wheel.

[quote=“Violator,post:10,topic:38617"”]

Lesson: If the dealer didn’t figure it out the first 2 times = they are too stupid to do so and will not on consecutive attempts

[/quote]

Sadly, they are the only dealership I am allowed to go to for warranty repair on the Speed6.

How much did these bullshit warranty repairs(cough) cost you in time missed from work already?

You could have gone to a real mechanic and get it done for less Im sure.

they didnt cost me anything, i’m salary. And I’m not paying for the repairs out of pocket…

so, I really have no choice, huh?

[quote=“Marcus,post:5,topic:38617"”]

Stop driving that car like a NASCAR race car and you wont have these issues.

[/quote]

fixed…

see first post and title…he said only left turns, duh…

[quote=“Clean Baldy,post:15,topic:38617"”]

they didnt cost me anything, i’m salary. And I’m not paying for the repairs out of pocket…

so, I really have no choice, huh?

[/quote]

Its up to you really. You can keep taking it back to those dummies and hope they stumble into something that works. I would rather spend a few bucks and not be aggravated… thats just me tho.

[quote=“Violator,post:10,topic:38617"”]

[/quote]

honestly thats redic yes some dealer techs arnt the smartest but i also know techs that have forgotten more information then we will ever know. Tell them you want the mastertech to look at it and you dont want it back till its 100% right shit let them fuck up some lemon law that bitch

Please tell me about the lemon law :slight_smile:

Sounds like some kind of U joint or halfshaft.