Noob Question - Vibration in the Shifter

I know this is probably a noob question, but I didn’t have this with my Honda Accord (I am a new 240sx owner btw). I am driving a 1991 240sx with the KA engine. I can feel quite a bit of vibration on the shifter and at first I thought there was a problem with the transmission. My pops took the car for a spin and told me it was fine. That it was just normal engine vibrations.

I guess I just wanted to know if you guys feel lots of vibration coming through your shifters on your 240sx’s… whether this is normal, or whether I should be getting ready for a transmission transplant :?

thanks guys!

The transmission in your new car is a lot more direct, thats why the vibration is more noticeable. Honda products use a series of bushings in the shift linkage because it has to go all the way up to the front of the car, this cleans up the vibration, but also makes it feel a lot less percise. Personally I love the AE86 shifter because it feels like your locking down the bolt on a well made rifle when you shift. My honda stuff… not so much.

It could be normal. However the things that wear out and cause this alot are your tanny mount. Also do you have a swhort shifter?? They vibrate and rattle quite a bit at high RPM.

yeah, all my friends think my shifter is wrong or something because of the vibrations or lack of connectivety, but any standard they have been in have had those plastic guides and way lower power car (well 20HP less then my car)

I think Variable hit it bang on… FWD = shift linkage going up into the engine bay, RWD = shifter connects straight to the tranny. Could also be some tranny or engine mounts that are just worn.

awesome guys! makes total sense now. Now if I may ask another question :oops:

At idle I my RPM’s stay at around 1000 and the suddenly drop to about 600 for a few seconds and then go back up to 1000 for a while… again, my pops thinks its a dirty or clogged fuel filter and I can see where he is coming from on that. It’s not that I don’t trust my Dad’s word, I just want a second opinion from those that are familiar with imports (my Dad has been driving and fixing domestics all his life) before I start tearing my car apart.

Thanks guys! :E

It could also be a small vacume leak or a problem with IACV, if nissans have such a thing.

I will bet its the IACV also. Spray a can of car cleaner into the trottle body and try to aim towards the very back of the intake manifold.

Genius! I did a little research and found this article on the subject:

http://www.se-r.net/engine/about_iacv.html

Here is a little quote from the article:

First, the needle valve can become clogged with dirt or carbon, reducing or completely blocking off airflow through the needle valve. This would reduce the airflow through the needle valve and cause the ECU to rely partially or fully on the opening of the trim valve in the IACV to maintain target idle. This would mean that the idle could possibly fall below 750 before the ECU could intervene.

I will try using cleaner asap. Any reccomendations on the cleaner I should get?

Not really sure… Seafoam is my favorite carbon killer, I am not 100% sure you could ge it where you need though… Maybe some carb cleaner ? In the past I have removed the whole unit and taken it apart to clean it.

hmmm… well I will have to take a look at it after I degrease my engine bay and see whether I can squirt a cleaner in there or whether I have to start taking things apart. I have more vehicle related questions, but I won’t bother you guys with them in this thread. Is the Hanes book pretty good for 240sx’s?

I would assume you should be able to just take the intake pipe between the filter and throttle body off and spray it into the IACV.

Kris has actually posted a link with full factory service manuals. These are pretty much always better then a hanes book for a car. They are way more in depth.

http://www.n-e-c-c.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1312

Ah shit… doesn’t cover the 91… :oops:

ya man I already dled it and was looking through it. They have the 1993 book (says 1994 on the site), but the vehicle is still basically the same as a 1991 from what I know. The FSM was ok, but it didn’t give much info on actual a-z step by step (unless I missed those pages…) from what I saw. It’s still great information though and I plan on using it further as it basically describes every part on the vehicle (just not how to remove/install) and how it works.

I am going to DL the Mitchel On Demand Import CD from PhatG20 tonight and see what it has to offer. I used that prog back in high school and it was pretty damn good for the most part.

Thanks for helping me out so much man!

Edit: Actually I do have another question. The service manual reccomends idle to be at 700 RPM + or - 50. Would it be advantageous to retard the idling RPM in my car to those specs, or do they only make sense for brand new 240sx’s?

If its runs fine at that low of a RPM I would do it for sure because you will save on gas and your car will cool a little quicker.