NOS is legal

Some people on this site seem to think nitrous oxide is street legal to have in your car. First off NOS (Nitrous Oxide Systems) is a brand name, not to be confused with nitrous oxide. Second off nitrous oxide is a huge safety hazard in a car that is involved in an accident, this is why you don’t see any cars come stock with it. The bottle is under high pressure, and if it explodes, it could mean death to every passenger in the car. If you get pulled over and you have nitrous tanks, you can get a ticket. If you take your car in for inspection and you have nitrous tanks, you will fail. I don’t see how you guys think this is street legal?

i believe the law states it can’t be turned on…doesn’t say anything about not having tanks

same w/ whats above… ok if not on.

one when in a car it needs to be seperarted by wall or have a vent tube. show it in the book the code of the law and section where it shows its illegal. yes the bottle is dangerous but that is why you need a vent tube. Im pretty sure the ppl that use nitrous know that N.O.S. is a company and not the same as NAWZ from the damm movies. other states dont allow you to have the tanks but never heard of PA having that problem

I was pulled over by the PA State Police, speeding, my current insurance card was in the trunk. He spotted my bottle, had a few questions and I went on my way.

It is street legal. The requirements are a placard for over 25lbs on board (oxidizer with green background), and a vent tube outside the vehicle compartment. Nitrous has the same requirements as propane, which many trucking companies use instead of gasoline.

i HEARD… as long as its not hooked up…

“What are you talking bout… My EVO comes stock with NNNOOOOSSSSSS” :smiley: :smiley:

all replys are correct,i got pulled over with it,cop got out the book & couldnt find shit!
but the way ur talking,u need to have cats on then to!save my trees !!:grouphug:

I’m sorry officer, these on ramps on these big highways scare me. I always feel better about merging with a drilled out 250 jet… :bigok:

everything is legal when street racing (in a racer’s rule book)

“Run what you brung, and hope it’s enough to win”

well said!! :blue:

n20 is a non flammable gas, it cannot explode, but metal shards from the bottle bursting can injure the people in the vehicle

just makin sure you didnt mean explode as in fire explosion…

ask Jeeves.

Not really a street legality issue, but Nitrous Oxide is pretty strictly forbidden for autocrossing and road racing.

…and this applies to the street how?

its been said but yes you need a hazmat placard for over 25 lbs, it may not be hooked up meaning the lines have to be disconected at the bottle but the bottle can be in the cradle, and Nitrous oxide is an oxidizer so it still needs a “fuel” and “sorce of ignition” to complete the combustion triangle. :slight_smile:

:dunno:

NOS is like saying klenex or xerox or q-tip.

x2

It was being discussed over in that “street racing” post, i thought that was originally how it came up. I figured this was continuing that discussion.

http://www.pittspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10781&page=4

Does anyone know if a similar law applies to nitrogen tanks? They can run some pretty high PSI numbers on those tanks. I would assume normal compressed air is not really a concern as alot of utility trucks have them onboard.