Nys inspection on a 99 Audi

I have had my car into the shop twice for an inspection and the NYS computer fails to communicate with the ECU I checked all fuses and were fine car runs like it should no enige lights are on.For those with NYS inspection license is there a trick to the Audi cars to communicate with the inspection computer.I use to be an inspector I remember having trouble with izuzu’s and kias not reading the vin code some times but The OBD 2 port keeps coming up as stated by the state’s print out as not having power.Any help would be appreciated.

take it to audi?

An OBD2 port is pretty simple. 1 power, 2 grounds, 1 data is all that is necessary. Not sure if some manufacturers add more, but that’s the basics. It’s possible that you have a broken wire or a bad connection for power/ground.

take it to autozone to check for a light … then see if the cheap ass readers can read data

do u have an aftermarket head unit?

Do you have the brake and ABS lights on? If so, a failed ABS controller often locks out communications with other controllers. If this is the case, unplug the connector from the ABS controller and try again.

Did the same station do it twice it could be the obd cord for the machine. I’ve seen this happen multiple times.

[quote=“Locutus,post:2,topic:31776"”]

take it to audi?

[/quote]

Not the one in Buffalo…

Take it to VW of Orchard Park and ask for Matt or Norm in service. They will take good cars of you if you can’t figure it out.
662-5500

i have heard of broken tabs/ pushed in tab on the odb port.

Funny thing is I checked all of the pins and have power checked the white and black wire to the ecu to the connector for a break and it was good the pins are in good shape the ABS unit was replaced last year but I have no abs lights on at all . I am stumped a obd2 scan from otc wont even acess it as well so I am almost folding into the point of getting bent at the dealer.I wish I still worked in my old shop with access to the NYS inspection machine so I could just scan another car and slip a sticker on.Not like I have heard of that being done or anything LOL.Thanks for the tips .The abs was replaced by the Audi dealer so I couldnt see them messing anything up and the car passsed last year with an aftermarket head unit in it.I am about ready to source out a a new ecu.

try the stock head unit if u still have it, i’ve seen them pass/fail numerous times because of it. only with audi’s and vw’s so far i believe.

I dont have a stock unit any one have one I could borrow for a day? And why would it cause a problem there is no warning of it in the owners manual and what causes the no communication error due to the non stock unit.

Here, read this about the aftermarket radio issue

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html

FYI ABS controller problems will cause communication problems on those cars.Have your station call clean air and discuss the prob.

yea i just inspected one i had to unplug the abs controler and it powered up the plug … some are diff tho give it a try , one of the computers itsnt allowing power through it

I did disconnect the abs unit and still nothing I will call the state and clear this up and follow up on the radio issue thanks I will keep you posted

My A4 didn’t pass with aftermarket radio…I had to put the stock in, in order to get it to connect.

You didn’t need to put a stock stereo back in.

You neeed to follow the instructions for the k-wire.

Meh, if you got the radio it only takes a minute.

I figure I will just pull the after market radio out and try that with the inspection so this way the K wire is not connected to anything