octane level/rating

so what octane do most of you run? is it pump gas or is it race gas? is it a mixture of both?

now if you run race gas is your car really a street car?
also if you ran race gas do you think you could actually get it to run on pump gas?

this would also define what is a street car and what isnt, adding octane at the track is ok but if you have to rely on it, it isnt a street car for the average wallet

i run 93 in all my rides, i have mixed it a few times for added safety when spraying

94 octane in the accord and M3. 87 in the beaters

93-94 in my celi… if I go any lower I notice a signicant drop is mpg. Before the motor swap I would put in the cheep stuff but I cant do that anymore.

93-94 in both of mine.

mix a little turbo blue in the mustang every so often

94 only

ok so far we have street cars posting up. i know there are ppl on here that have to run high octane

93, but might do 94 with the new engine because of the higher compression

93-94 in 240
89 in Jetta

The only reason that I can think of that you would need to run higher than street octane levels would be for high compression heads (and maybe with nitrous - I don’t know squat about nitrious). Octane is simply a numerical representation of a fuel’s resistance to pre-detonation. Fuel will spontaneously combustion at a specifc temperature or under sufficient pressure. The higher the octane level, the higher the resistance to combust before seeing a spark. Unless you are seeing high head temperatures or have a high compression ratio, race fuel is probably a waste of money. In fact, if you are putting higher octane fuel than recommended in your owner’s manual on a stock engine, you are likely also wasting your money, unless you know for a fact that the gas has additives to clean your fuel system.

Over the years, alot of people seem to be under the impression that octane is a measure of per-unit energy of the fuel. That’s just not true.

I run 93-94 octane in my road race car even though I could probably get away with 89 just because I know I am running at excessive high temperatures. I would prefer to complete avoid the kock sensor from retarding the timing on the track.

also boost levels would be a reason. i know when i was running 12lbs i would just use 93 but could def get away with 91 but whne i was running 20 lbs in the srt i always ran 93 but when i went to the track i tossed in a few gallons of 110.

I run straight aviation gas. At 13:1 it does a finejob.

Good point. Didn’t think of that.

i ran turbo blue in the bike

87 in the beater
94 in the red car because of the compression

unleaded turbo blue in the practice bikes bike
VP Pro Racing Fuel in the race bikes

91-94 octane only here usually 93 cuz its common my owners manual says 91 minimum

why,it dont fly:kekegay:

Neither do you, but you got wings on your back. :jerkit:

93 in the vw

87 in truck and trailblazer and mustang

run 110 in gn 26-30psi u need it…but im detuning car to 93 octane so i can drive more!!! it does get costly to drive with race gas all the time!! i might get alky for it not syre!!GTP runs 93