Official 07-08 Penguins Thread

Here are interesting #'s…mario ftw

Evgeni Malkin has 158 points in his first 134 NHL games. A look at how Malkin’s numbers compare with those of Mario Lemieux, Sidney Crosby and Jaromir Jagr at the same point in their careers:
Player G A Pts.
Lemieux 83 133 216
Crosby 64 126 190
Malkin 64 94 158
Jagr 54 60 114

He’s playing the role that I always knew he could when he came here in 03-04… The big power forward. His place is in front of the net, he’s shown good hands and good vision, and he’s got the size and power to move people.

I’m really glad Bugsy is coming into his own. He is a force to be reckoned with.

thats my boy

About the lines…
What about Armstrong? Crosby and him have had some synergy… There are some tough decisions to be made. I think we should have 2 solid lines. we would match up better against the other teams.

Yeah, that’s what i was saying b4…who do you put with Crosby w/o breaking up the Sykora/Malkin/Malone line? Colby doesnt do shit this year and I think the whole synergy thing is a thing of the past…I think there may be a trade coming up that has some our decent players like Christensen, Sabo, maybe even Staal and we will get a scoring winger like CheeChoo…but Shero keeps on insisting he is not looking too much unless something really good is offered. I think it will interesting come March.

Sorry bics but I have to disagree with Cheechoo… he was only really noticeable the year after the lockout playing with Thornton, who also had blown up numbers.

What about a guy like Vaclav Prospal? His salary is $1.9mil this year and he’s a 70-80 pt guy. He’s been under the radar and I think we can get him in…

I see what your saying, but look at him since he has been back on Thorton’s line…he is lighting it up again.

Prospal has avg about 60 points per year since 01…he is decent but his high in goals was 25…Cheechoo had 56 goals in 06 and 37 in 07…and is younger…so I think if he can be had I say go for it.

christensen, crosby, kennedy

fuck that…if Malkin has Malone and Sykora, you have to have a quality winger for Crosby…CheeChoo FTW

like i said, regardless of how much sense it might make, i dont see them keeping malkins current line together. they wont put crosby on the lesser line, while malkin gets sykora and malone. just because its crosby, they wont do it. plus, i doubt he’d be on the 2nd line at any point, so that would mean malkins whole line would have to be the ‘2nd line’ and would probly get slightly less ice time (unless they plan on both lines being equal, which might be hard to do). basically im willing to bet that the current top line gets broken up just because its crosby…not saying i agree with it (or maybe they’ll trade for someone and that would def shake things up too)

that line wont get broken up, i think christensen and kennedy need a chance with crosby. malone and sykora were subpar all year till they played a while on malkins line

oh ya and cheechoo is a bum, 14 goals 8 assts…

He started slow then he was injured for a little while. lately he has been playing well and since being on Thorton’s line he is doing a lot better. I think with Crosby he can be a 40+ goal scorer easy…Keep in mind the two years before this year he has 93 goals

The up side to Cheechoo is his production has dropped off so he wouldn’t command much money wise as he may have coming off of a 56 goal season two years ago.

Which means we might be able to pick him up and sign him into a deal, then put him on the line with the Kid and get him some goals.

I am pretty sure he signed a deal that avg 3 mil/year for 5 years…I think this is year 2 now??? not 100% sure. 3 mil wouldnt be too bad for a 40+ scorer…but who gives a fuck Cheechoo is an old rumor…and I just want it to happen…haha

bics, you got center ice? i dont think ive ever even really seen cheechoo play aside from highlights. ill guess ill see him on the 24th

I got center ice and ive watched him play a few times. He can find the open areas that thorton can just dish it to him for a goal. He thrives with better players

madden was saying gonchar for cheechoo last month i think, i wouldnt let gonchar go for him though

no, i wouldnt like that either. i think gonchar is way too important. maybe they feel like letang will fill in as that possesion, offensive-type d-man (along with whitney) but i still wouldnt want to move him. im a big fan of gonchar and i feel he is underrated, as a whole. i’d move someone like armstrong, christensen, ruutu, maybe staal (but it’d have to be a good player in return).

No center ice, just highlights and stats. If this kid can put in 93 goals in two seasons I am sure he can match that with Sid. Also, I think it would be good to get a young talent, so he can be Sid’s linemate for a while. Like you said on the 24th I will get a chance to see if he is worth it.

As for the Gonchar trade…that is a really tough call. If you want a good player, sometimes you have to give a good one…unless a team is looking to unload some $$. You gotta ask yourself, are we a better team with Gonch or Cheechoo? That is a tough question to answer…Gonch is amazing and every year is in the top 3 for scoring defensemen…and he is a huge part of out powerplay. I think something like over 65% of his points come on the PP. But then you look and we have some offensive talent on D and we are somewhat spoiled with that. Then look how deap out #1 and #2 lines would be…those would be two toughf lines to stop. So all in all I think it is a tossup…Gonch is proven but is starting to get a little old and Cheechoo is young and has a lot of years left…but has he fully proven himself yet? Me I would take a risk and trade Gonch for Cheechoo, but what the fuck do I know. And it is a old rumor anyways so fuck it…I still want to see what happens b4 Feb 26th though