Official 08-09 Penguins Thread

supposedly kovy because “a cancer” in the locker room. thats not something you’d want to put into your locker room.

being a cancer in the locker room cant be singled down to just 1 player… there has to be tension with at least 2 or more to get things rolling

id still take him…

if you hate your team or teammates your not going to do well, I think thats his problem in Montreal

nobody likes the French…

im not that big on whitney anymore.seems to me like every game hes stumbling over his feet and givin the oppisition a odd man break.and montreal is looking for an offensive defenceman

I agree 100%. There are times when it is painful to listen to the fans at the games. I was there a lot in 02-05 and I have to agree it seemed to be a “better” crowd compared to the larger crowds now.

I do think Staal and Whitney are on the trading block, just sucks they have played like ass lately…

He is still just back from a debilitating injury that had been plaguing him for 2+ years. That is tough to deal with. No training camp, no pre-season, just thrown straight into the fire and expected to perform.

That being said, I’ve never been a huge Ryan Whitney fan. I debated openly the idea that trading Noah Welch 2 years back for Gary Roberts was iffy because I thought Welch might project to be a better D-Man. While that may not be the case, I think they do have 1 offensive D-Man that will be better than Whitney in Letang and another one that, based on his play, will project to be better than him as well in Goligoski.

He’s just always been way too soft and slow for me. If you’re going to be slow, bust some skulls like Orpik. Or if your going to be soft, skate your ass off like Gonchar. But it can’t be both in my opinion.

It’s a catch 22. If they were playing well, there’d be no reason to trade them because they would fit better in the system here. But when they aren’t playing well, you’ll get less for them.

all i know is there is no reason to wait for trades… 5 games before the deadline all to east coast teams… we need those points… a new coach with a new system can only go so far!!

Also this caps/canadians game is sick… ovi/semin/backstrom r fast!!! Ovi had one of his “wow, i cant believe he scored” goals…

good. he’s on my fantasy team

i respectfully disagree. for Whitney, i feel like we have 4 guys that basically fit the same mold on the blue line. Gonch, Whit, Letang and Goli. Whitney isnt as valuable to the team as Gonch (who makes more) and costs more than Letang and Goli. but he would get more in return than those 2 and i honestly dont feel that hes any better than either of those two (maybe alittle better than Goli, but with a bit more experience his mistakes will go away. hes already proven he can skate, create offense and play solid D tho). so Whitney is the odd man out of the group, in my opinion.

as far as Staal, if he could play wing, then id say you are 100% right. he cant though. i cant see paying 4mil for a guy that is basically locked into the 3rd line center position when we are weak at wing on our 2 top lines. the better he plays, the more we get in return. he’l develop into a solid player on someone elses roster with more ice-time as a 1st or 2nd line center. i thin we can get what we are looking for with him somehow included in the deal and what we can get for him would help us alot more than what he is contributing (and from what i think hes realistically capable of, seeing as hes on the 3rd line)

for the record, i am a fan of both of those guys but i feel like they are expendable and if you want a big-time 1st line winger, you gotta give something up.

i agree about whit… and hold the same for scuderi and eaton, why we put goli down to the ahl is beyond me…

I like Staal, :slight_smile: my argument to keep him, lol… once he grows into his role as a big guy then he will be like Eric… plus once ziggy comes back, then we have another center in the mix… but right now even though he is worth 4 mil, the last couple of games he has been looking good but not able to finish… and that might bring his tradability down…

but anyways we are always talking about those two… lets talk about the other guys that arent doing shit that we picked up!!! lol

who kept their armstrong jersey? he’ll be back in the off season! I’ll put money on it :slight_smile:

It actually looks like the penguins of last year.

Staal is absolutely horrible. I hope we trade him ASAP. I have not seen him contribute anything to the team after his first year here, maybe some PK, but thats it.

They need to try him with Sid

good lord we suck

no they don’t. Staal doesn’t skate, how in the hell would he keep up with Sid? He just puts around the rink every night, it’s like a Sunday afternoon skate for him. I hate watching Staal play, it’s hard to keep from throwing something thru my tv when his line is out there.

haha. like i said, staal is not a winger, and like 77 said he cant play at sids pace. i dont feel like staal has the touch to receive any of sids crazy passes and have any chance of putting them on net. im sure if the coaching staff saw him fitting on the 1st line with sid, theyd be trying to do it (because that would basically solve our problems) but the sad reality of it as that its not gonna happen.

Why? What is the absolute worst that can happen from it, we lose 5-2 to the Caps, or lose 6-2 to that Leafs, or lose to the worst team in the NHL…

Has Malkin ever openly bitched about playing on a wing?
its just a little weird to me that they are searching high and low for this magical winger, and the best pure goal scorer in the league is already on the team and perfectly capable of playing at crosby’s level. the only argument i can see right now is that there isnt enough offensive depth to justify pairing those two.
staal as a first line winger? that is just silly. if he wants to prove himself as a contributing member of the team i think he needs to step up and become the legitimate top 6 winger that he claims to be.

i think they just want them to be separate so they can have their own lines to spread that talent out. if staal was a big scoring threat, then it would work out perfect. he could either play wing on one of those two guys’ lines or center the number 2 line and let geno play wing on sid’s line. but staal just hasnt been a proven scorer, so teams dont have to worry about shutting him down. if sid and geno can both roll lines that are puttin pucks in the net, its pretty tough for another team to pair up lines to shut both of our lines down.

Not sure if this means anything at all, but while watching Fedko last night he said something about possible friction between Sid and Geno. He said after the Caps game on Sunday Geno and Ovechken were talking in Russian in the hallway and Sid walked right in between them where he didn’t say a word and he looked pissed. Not sure if he was implying maybe Geno and Ovechkin are boys now and Sid is pissed…but I wonder if Sid would even care if those two cool with each other. They were probably talking about how Sid can be a bitch…haha.