*OFFICIAL* Buffalo Sabres 2007 Off-Season Thread

Cause it was a really really good season, i see your point though. I still don’t see him staying. I hope I’m wrong.

[quote=“RobHimself,post:81,topic:30906"”]

Cause it was a really really good season, i see your point though. I still don’t see him staying. I hope I’m wrong.

[/quote]

He had 80 points. Since when is a player who has 1 80 point season worth more than 5 million? I’m starting to hate the cap era already…

[quote=“JayS,post:68,topic:30906"”]

They want Stanley Cup talent, at 8th seed prices.

[/quote]

You are really dead on. We get some young talent, start showing signs of a competing hockey team, and don’t do anything to hold on to them.

Buffalo has become a professional farm team as we pick up players cheap, and as soon as they get good, we let them go.

what about roy?

connoly is gonna turn up the HEAT

but i hope his head doesnt explode in the process

2pm today Live press conference on WGR550

Let’s hear what Darcy and Quinn have to say. Fuckers.

And actually, I’m having a hard time being angry anymore. We knew they wouldn’t be able to sign both captains. Briere is great, but not worth 52 million over 8 years, and Drury is an amazing captain, but worth 7 million dollars for 5 years? Fuck that. Joe Thornton just extended his contract with San Jose for just a little over 7/year for 3 years, and he is twice the player that Briere and Drury are.

ugh

sabres are in desperation status right now methinks…but theres a press conference at 2PM today where there was hinting from my friend there will be “absolutely huge” news

for those that havent listened, i STRONGLY advise many to go to WGR’s page and listen to the interview with briere from last night…the interview says everything in that for briere it wasn’t about the money as some other team (hint hint montreal) offered MORE than philly did, but he turned it down. basically briere tried to not comment on the sabres organization, but hinted at that it didnt matter what the sabres offered, just that he was gone since he didnt hear ANYTHING from the team in the 6 weeks since the season ended…apparently we spent all that time renegotating with lindy and darcy :ham: briere also said but tried to backtrack on the fact that hes been in cali with drury for the past 5 days, and they had been having “many long talks” about their future with the team. they both decided together that neither wanted to stay here after being ignored for 6 weeks. briere even said he was surprised the sabres even offered him a contract, in that he felt the organization did not even want him to resign. drury felt the same way and they both left, albeit in different directions yet to the same division

now buffalo is going to be left with a shitstorm of fan anger, and they are going to pursue zubrus again bad knee and all. we’ve now lost out on nylander, kariya, smyth, blake, and our captains. the talent pool is thin for big name signings…i hope my friend is right and they announce some giant signing today like souray or maybe even shanahan…

toronto getting blake angers me greatly only b/c he more than likely could have come here…hey, maybe we’ll sign MOTHERFUCKING MICHAEL PECA just to spite those canucks :rofl:

a friend just called and told me he heard talks about forsberg meating with the team, withe the open cap room forsberg would def bring some grit and leadership then hopefully souray and any word if salanne is locked up or not.

Forsberg is a good player, but he is injury prone and signing him would be a gamble. I wouldn’t mind a 1 or 2 year contract at like 3 million per. Other than that, fuck that.

Edit- and as for Blake, he had a great season, but the last thing Buffalo needs is another small, crafty, finesse type of player who never hits.

[quote=“Pass McGrass,post:79,topic:30906"”]

What makes you think any teams will offer Vanek more than 5 million when he has ONE good season under his belt?

[/quote]

a 50 million salary cap :gotme:

spending is way overboard yet again…rangers have 3 players at 40% of their cap and their top goalie and two prospects as RFA’s…shits rediculous

and i agree about briere absolutely not being worth his deal…granted its rediculously frontloaded (10mil a season? come on, no WAY he should be the highest paid player in the league) and he ends his contract (career even) making 3 mill a season for the last 2 years of the contract…

drury getting 5 years surprises me…i would have thought he would have been looking 7-8 years to ensure he finished his career there

also of note is the no-movement clause in both briere and drurys contract…b/c that right there ensures both get every penny of their contract regardless of injury or anything. smart on their parts, possibly dumb on the organizations…

By not signing either of your two fan-favorite CAPTAINS, the Sabres just pissed in the same water they drink from…

I could see letting one of them move on, but both?

They better be signing some big, physical, skilled player.

fuck forsberg…i would actually be PISSED if he came here…maybe play like 2 shifts and then hurt his precious ankles again :ham:

everyone keeps talking about selanne…last i checked he’s still under contract and only deciding if he wants to retire or not…

[quote=“Bigairskier1580,post:93,topic:30906"”]

By not signing either of your two fan-favorite CAPTAINS, the Sabres just pissed in the same water they drink from…

[/quote]

they moreso confirmed to everyone all the shit that people like gilmour, peca, mckee, grier, and others have been saying about our organization for over a decade…

The Sabres need to bulk up. They were far too small last season to compete in the physical game that is the playoffs.

I just hope that whoever they sign is a big, physical, good skating, offensively talented player.

[quote=“JDMR2,post:92,topic:30906"”]

a 50 million salary cap :gotme:

spending is way overboard yet again…rangers have 3 players at 40% of their cap and their top goalie and two prospects as RFA’s…shits rediculous

[/quote]

If Vanek goes/stays for more than 4.5 then I’ll be very surprised.

And the Rangers cap isn’t quite at 40%. Jagr only hits at 4.9 or something, but they still have to sign Lundqvist and Shanny. Me hopes they can’t do it.

[quote=“JDMR2,post:89,topic:30906"”]

toronto getting blake angers me greatly only b/c he more than likely could have come here…hey, maybe we’ll sign MOTHERFUCKING MICHAEL PECA just to spite those canucks :rofl:

[/quote]

:eekdance:

is there anyway to stream wgr550 without signing up for their gay lockerroom club?

[quote=“Pass McGrass,post:97,topic:30906"”]

If Vanek goes/stays for more than 4.5 then I’ll be very surprised.

And the Rangers cap isn’t quite at 40%. Jagr only hits at 4.9 or something, but they still have to sign Lundqvist and Shanny. Me hopes they can’t do it.

[/quote]

jagr is 7+ last i heard buccigross talking about it?