OFFICIAL Buffalo Sabres Thread

the reason i think this should be a goal is because the versus announcers said it was a goal, and they hate buffalo period

No, they said the same thing I said when it happened.

Minus the explitives obv.

I’m not a fan of benching Max in favor of Goose either. I mean, game 5 is HUUUGE now. Do you want to put that weight on a guy who hasn’t played a single game in almost 3 months (he went down Feb 7th).

To me Gaustad has always been an Adam Mair, but with more talent. Not sure I’d want to bench Mair the way he’s been playing either though.

Other than Timmy’s big move where he almost scored, I thought he had a terrible night. Lots of bad passes and bad decisions. I don’t think I’d bench him either though. It’s a tough call.

The Sabres need more physical play along the boards and down low, and I think Gaustad can bring that type of play coming back. I’d put Gaustad on a line with Drury and Zubrus and move Kotalik back to the 4th line with Mair and Connolly. Jagr’s line will have a hell of time working against Zubes and Pauly G.

And if Max were only playing half throttle and not giving the puck away so much, I wouldn’t even consider benching him. But I really think that he’s been hurting the team more than helping.

You do realize Max has 4 points in the playoffs, tied with Pominville, Stafford, Mair, and Roy?

He’s a +4

Hecht on the other hand, has 1 point.

Yep, I’d bench Hecht and bring Max back.

http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/app

Yes, but going only by +/-, Zubrus is a -1, which makes it look like he’s been playing worse than Max. I know that’s not what you’re saying, but I’m not going to pay much attention to his +/- number. Plus, I’m pretty sure his +4 is inflated because of Vanek.

Stafford on the other hand has 4 points, but a super quiet 4 points. Quiet because he’s not playing as well as Vanek and still has 4 points AND because he’s not doing anything to hurt the team.

But I still think that Max should not have been benched. He’s on the team for another 3 years, what if this puts a bitter taste in his mouth and he dogs it for the rest of his contract? That’s a long shot, but it wouldn’t be too surprising seeing how he feels that his play has been totally fine. “Why am I getting benched when I’m playing good hockey?” It just doesn’t seem like he’s going to do anything about it or try to work harder.

Benching Hecht would be a bad idea because they’d lose one of their best penalty killers. He is pretty much the Roy of the second PK line. He chases the puck down and eats time off the clock in the opposite zone.

this game was a crock of shit.
end of story

no good calls made.
the sabes played like shit until the 2nd half of the 3rd.
and refs/officials are out of their tree.

The Sabres have played horribly at MSG. Is they ice bad, maybe, but both teams are affected by it. Anyways, the Sabres have home ice advantage so complaining about the ice is a moot point.

Was it a goal? Probably but according to the views that the NHL had there was insufficient evidence to prove beyond a doubt that the puck COMPLETELY crossed the goal line. The situation is in the past so scrape the sand out of your vagina’s and move on!

Benching Max… maybe it was a mistake, but maybe Lindy’s looking at the big picture instead of one game. He knows how Paille responds in the stress of playoffs this year. Max also had a chance to sit down and relax. He always seems to go into seizures when he gets the puck. He know how to drive the net and get into scoring position. The problems seems that he rushes things and tries too hard.

And despite being out since Feb. I say bring back Gaustad. A key player like him coming back may be the catalyst the team needs.

Further proof that vdubs rot your brain.

McGrass… I don’t put a whole lot of stock in Max’s +/-, I was just posting it to show he isn’t really “hurting” the team.

The number that means a lot more to me is Hecht’s single point. That’s supposed to be our #1 line.

Ok, that’s the easy call. Who do you bench?

we played rediculously and deserved the loss that was just straight up a horrible game on the sabres end Zubrus and miller were the only ones who showed up and played a solid 60 mins of hockey.On the other hand that was the worst no goal call i think ive seen all season.That puck clearly crossed the line in every replay they showed.Such fuckin bullshit fuckt he refs, fuck toronto and fuck the rangers, we will take jagr’s ugly shrek lookin ass and his team out.

I’m finding it really funny that all the people who have said stupid things all season in this thread are the same ones so sure it was a bad call.

im finding it funny that all the people that claim to be sabres fans dont mind it when the sabres get raped on a goal :tup: makes sense

we got raped, but it is time to move on if we dont come out and light up the rangers on friday then something is def wrong with our team.

coincidence?

that goal was definately inconclusive, nhl should invest in the cameras they use in NHRA with the ultra slow frame rates.

its not getting raped when its not conclusive. u can only assume it went in u cant actually see it go in. did it cross the line, probably but u dont know for sure u dont see the puck. am i mad they it was not called a goal, yes but it was also a good call too.

JayS - Paille made a feed pass to (wow, can’t think of the name), which was inches away from mair pounding home the rebound. He had an impact, he just isn’t as flashy as Maxim, so he doesn’t stand out as much.

Bottom-line, the Sabres have not committed to this series yet. They need to develop and maintain a strong forecheck, and they really need to stop being so careless with their passes.

Also, stop shooting low, or into the chest area of Henrix. I saw a perfect oportunity for Kotalik to blast a shot, he shot it DIRECTLY into the chest of Henrik, despite having all 4 corners open. You don’t get rebounds much from chest shots, and it wasn’t a screened shot. It was a wasted opportunity.

They did skate more and harder tonite, but they continued to be careless with the puck. You don’t win a NHL playoff series with careless giveaways in your own zone, and the neutral zone. There were times when I could swear you could see frustration from Miller.

And it has nothing to do with the ice, because I didn’t see the same issue from the Rangers.

The Rangers are playing a trap style defense, and the Sabres have not adjusted to it. They aren’t going back to the fundamentals of slamming into the corners and winning the individual battles. Look at the goal by Kotalik. It was a goal scored after a battle down low, and the Sabres won the forecheck, and hey, look, it’s a goal.

I didn’t see any determination, desperation, and drive until the last 6 or so minutes of the game.

Anyone remember post-season last year when guys would dive in front of shots and sacrifice themselves to breakup plays? I’ve hardly seen ANY of that this postseason.

PS - Our PP absolutely blows. We can’t keep it in the zone for shit.

And before my opinion is discounted, I have been following the Sabres for many years, and this past season I watched at least 40-50 of the games this season between skiing and work. Just didn’t post on NYspeed about them, because you’ll notice a massive lapse in my posting thru the winter.

eh , from every angle the puck crossed it from what anyone watching could see and ill go by that.I just think its funny that when reviewing it they showed the play sevral times then after the rangers won they didnt show it at all.Oh well let the vs. guys suck off jagr and the rest of his team and then friday they wont have much to say when hsbc and our fans rock the place.

I don’t understand why they can’t bring back the technology Fox used a while back. Use it only for when the puck is crossing the line, or just have it so that the overhead camera is the only one that shows it.

So you could actually see white between the puck and the back of the goal line? Because if you could, then wow, the guys in Toronto and upstairs at MSG are blind.

Edit- And prove it. Let’s see a clear picture showing the puck across the line and shut all of these reasonable motherfuckers up who obviously don’t know what they’re talking about.

Of course Versus is going to lean more towards New York City.

Look at the population differences. There are MANY more people from New York City than Buffalo. It’s all about the ratings and the money.

Now onto a REAL reason to hate Versus…

Was anyone else infuriated by that one time we had a good forecheck going in the 3rd, and the Rangers were dead tired, and they iced the puck, and wouldn’t be able to change lines, and Versus decides it’s time to go to a VERY long commercial break?

How convenient and what a way to break up the flow of a game at a critical time.

:bloated: