Official Running Thread!!!!!!

I know we have some dedicated runners on the site and know we have a bunch of threads discussing running and figured we should have an end be all running thread.

So whats goals and events are people planning this year? How is training going?

Just so everyone knows(sorry should have said this months ago) but UB north has an amazing gym with an indoor running track for $20/mo open to anyone. 6 laps is a mile and there is always a fantastic view.

My running
I am a well seasoned runner completing now three 1/2 marathons, one full marathon, manyyyyy 10ks (its my best race distance) and many fun 5k-5mi events.

I had a pretty bad back injury and was told to stop running and had arthritis of the back etc etc but after about a year of pt I am running again and feeling pretty good. Not like before but I am so glad to be out again. It helps me feel better about everything and stay thin while eating like terrible as always.

Just a few weeks ago flew to Orlando and helped my GF in her first ever distance race finish the Disney 1/2 marathon. She would be so mad if she knew I posted that pic haha

http://inlinethumb13.webshots.com/15628/2711193900102390703S600x600Q85.jpg

My goal is to do A 5k.

I cant run in this shitty weather but hopefully come february I can get out and run a few times a week to prepare for the Bengal 5-K.

May jump on that $20 to run the track at UB. It was always fun.

There are a ton of really fun and social 5k races that are a great atmosphere and include many beers after. Doit

Awesome pic lol.

I haven’t been running all too long, but it’s been on and off. Ran a lot in Hawaii just because it was a lot easier to motivate myself in that environment.

Glad you posted this because I’m going to start training again soon to do a full marathon in Nashville in April with Mike93. Hopefully I can actually get my ass back into a good rhythm by then.

Will also do a few 5ks for fun this year. Corporate challenge seems like a good time and maybe 1 or 2 more marathons. Now that it’s above 10* I can get outside without feeling death creeping on.

I’ve got to start going to UB. I bet I can sneak in for free with my student ID.

I don’t run much but by the end of the fall I was feelign good doing 4 miles at a time a couple of times a week. Running on a treadmill just sucks. It screws with your posture and your form since you’re just hopping in place like a damn hamster. :tdown: Plus it’s boring as hell. Unless there’s something interesting on an elliptical or stairmaster in front of you. Even that gets boring. You can only stare for so long before the memory deposit clears the spank bank and it’s not that interesting anymore.

Ran my first 5k ever this year. Lindsay’s Legacy along the river in Tonawanda. My training is sporadic at best so I was pretty happy with my 24:xx finish. :tup:

I can run 3 miles in 22:30 and I’m doing this 3-4 times per week. I hate running but I love the results and don’t want to get fat. People always ask when I’m going to run a 5k and I don’t want to run ever really. I probably will cave to peer pressure and run one with friends in the next year or so.

Ya from what I have heard they are. 3 miles is pretty solid for a nice physical run. Anything more I lose interest. Plus I live right off Forest so I can run that track and practice for it up to the day.

Tinkerbell and his wife are two friends of ours down there haha.
If you guys are willing to have a 3rd wheel I would run the Nashville RnR marathon.

That is a great 5k time I hardly ever train fast anymore I bet that is about as fast as I could do one. I hate treadmills, haven’t ran on one in years.

I love distance running because im not fighting the discomfort of running fast and can essentially just cruise along nice and slow and relax haha. Nice time for 3mi man.

GODSPEED :tup:

Strange coincidence. I just went to check out the results from the 5k I ran to see if I remembered the time right. There were pictures up. “Micah Webber Photography” Small world.

Here’s a great sample shot. Check out #130. That’s one good looking man. :hay:

I run on the treadmill at the gym. I can’t even do 1.5 miles. fml

Have you tried running slower? Shit when I cruise for 7+mi I am generally between a 9-10min pace a lot of times. Slowing down and relaxing is key to adding miles. Once you have the distance going then start adding in speed workouts.

Headphones at a race? What an anti-social douche!!! <3

I’m running at 6.8 mph, which I think is ~8:40 min mile…Not exactly sprinting lol

yeah… my goals went pretty much like this:

1. run a mile
  2. run an 8 minute mile (7.5mph)
  3. run 2 miles (7.0mph)
  4. run 2 miles (7.5mph)
  5. run 3 miles (7.0mph)
  6. run 3 miles (7.5mph)
    then I just added speed… this all happened over a few years.

also, stare at other runners who don’t suck and work on improving your form… my form is always improving especially since I’ve gotten faster and have more muscle.

That is not blistering fast but you should certainly try out closer to a 10min pace even if just to add some distance. I know personally i have breathing issues and really have to run back half in every race since if start out too fast I never get a rhythm, gas out and fudge the race. As crazy as it sounds I can crack out 3-5 730min miles but only after 1-2 at an 830ish pace. I know many back half runners so its worth a shot, Maybe after one 10mi miles your 840ish pace will feel easier once you are in a groove.

Yeah I pretty much don’t pay attention to speed when I’m just out for a run. It’s much more pleasant to just do whatever is comfortable pace-wise and try to do an extra mile or keep my heart rate up for a few more minutes. It’s usually around a 9:30 or so pace. If I get into a groove then I’ll dip down into the 8:xx’s but whatever. It’s just running.

One of my takeaways from reading born to run was that running should be easy, light, smooth, and fast. In that order. Only worry about the first three. If you can master those you’ll be fast.

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Haha I was just there because my uncle invited me (#107 that I’m staring down.) He warned me though that during the actual running he just pops in his headphones and goes at his own pace, no socializing. Being a guy I’m down with that. Beers afterwards though.

Running in WNY seems like it’d be a great way to network. Just at that race I met a couple of my Uncle’s buddies who own their own businesses, ran into a classmate from MBA school that I hadn’t seen since class, Micah was taking pictures, another engineer from Praxair was there… It’s a small town.[COLOR=“Silver”]

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

when I’m outside running I’m not as focused on pace and just do the best I can, it’s on the treadmill that I’m forcing speed based goals.

So what kid of footwear do you all run in? I’m not quite man enough (yet) for barefoot running, but I can’t help but see the logic behind those nutty barefoot runners. Our bodies are evolved with everything we need to run, not evolved to run on squishy pillows that encourage our foot muscles to get lazy and weak. That’s why “racing flats” are pretty common for runner. So I’ve been using a pair of $35 dollar soccer flats and after some initial pains I’m feeling pretty good in them. Just an idea I’m experimenting with. :shrug:

Favorite brand/model?

I’d like to do a 5k, but I’m no where near close enough to being in the shape I need to be. I’ll probably buy some running shoes in the spring and start.

Excuses excuses. Just go to the penguin whatever this weekend. I guarantee you’ll beat someone.