Runners, step inside.

EDIT: Long post NYSpeed ADD Cliffs: Started running, hurt my knee, can’t run. Gave it two weeks, still can’t run. Do I need better shoes or more time to heal or am I just a gimp?

So after reading Born to Run (about a primitive Mexican indian tribe that knocks off 100 mile runs for fun, lives forever, and doesn’t have any cancer, heart disease, etc) I ditched my crosstrainers for a cheap pair of soccer flats. They feel way better to workout in. Way more stability for squats and deadlifts. They felt better running too, but right about the same time I switched I started racking up several miles a day (for the first time in my life really) I’ve started having trouble. After some intermittent 2-3 mile runs I ran 3 miles one night then knocked off another 2.5 at lunch the next day. By the end of the 2.5 mile run one of the ligaments in my left knee started screaming at me and I couldn’t go up or down a flight of stairs comfortably for like 3 days.

So I gave it 2 weeks off (had to travel anyway) and tried to run again and bam within a half mile same ligament was saying “stop it asshole.” So now I don’t know if it’s the shoes or just running in general that has me tore up. Or even that I was trying to adopt an evolutionarily correct forefoot strike running stride. (As opposed to the heel strike over/under pronating running store jargon bullshit.) I find it hard to believe that after millions of years of evolution I can’t run without a cushy shoe anymore. I refuse to believe that Nike defeated evolution in just 30 years.

I tried going back to the crosstrainers and I tried to ignore my stride and just run mindlessly as usual. No results, though the time factor (not giving myself enough time to heal) may be skewing my conclusions.

I’m tempted to just say fuck it and go barefoot.

The weirdest part is that I can still do squats and shit without any pain, but a half mile slow jog and I’ve got to walk. I think I better research what the LCL does. That’s the ligament that’s hurting.

My objectivity here is a bit lacking because of an outcome that I obviously want to be the correct one (that I don’t need no stinking fancy cushy $200 dollar Nike shoes to just go for a run) so help me out. Did I just try to do too much too soon? Am I giving myself enough time to heal? Am I crazy for trying to do something we’re evolved to do without modern technology?

the ligament might still be healing, we arent 20 anymore. I’m a firm believer after seeing the results firsthand that a good pair of running shoes is essential. You can try and mimic a mexican tribe that you really share nothing with, or you can spend $100 on a pair of shoes designed to help out. make sure to get fitted, it helped me out.

sounds like you need to train with the sterling boys. we are probably doing at least 15 miles this weekend…

Yeah I’m getting old and didn’t grow up running 50 miles a day. That’s a good point, even if I don’t like it.

I’ll try giving it some more time then see if I can run again with my old crosstrainers, which didn’t give me any trouble aside from being way out of shape. Then go slowly from there, whatever I do.

Once I get my act together I’ll definitely join the Sterling tavern cross country team. :tup:

Where does one get fitted?

Better shoes. or running technique. Running heel toe can cause a lot of ligament problems, strike with your forefoot first. As bad as it sounds the proper shoes have a lot to do with this, I gained a mile by switching from my old running shoes to nike frees and I haven’t been getting shin splints either.

I honestly suggest Nike Free 5.0, they cost about $90, are formed and light enough to simulate barefoot running but do offer protection from the pavement.

I need to get some running shoes, I’m on week 4 of couch to 5k and my bmx sneakers aren’t cutting it lol.

My sister is a long distance runner, training for marathon coming up.

She bought herself some stupid expensive running shoe and a few weeks later her knee was in immense pain. She switched back to the shoe she was previously running in, and the pain went away within days.

Sometimes the super nice ones aren’t always the best, but you may have to try different things before you find the ones that are right for you.

yea, you dont need super fancy shoes, but you want one that provides support if you need it.

On my old pair, which i miss dearly, my left foot was getting a knot in the top of it after just a couple miles. Changed how I tie the shoe, and boom, no more knot.

I always go to Fleet Feet on Delaware. I believe they are locally owned (which I’m big on) and they are always super helpful. (They actually suggested to change how I tie the shoe instead of trying to sell me something else) You can get fitted there.

I had a pair of shoes I miss dearly with every fiber of my being. a pair of Rebok DMX with the air crap in the bottom… two air pockets, one under the front, and one in the back and it would squish back and forth when you were standing flat. I went to go buy more @ the PX and they didn’t carry them anymore, went online and tried to buy as many as i could find and never saw another pair that shared the same design. never been able to run very well since without pain… consider jogging slowly and in small amounts focusing on form barefoot. park at the back of a golf course in the evening or early morning or if you have a sidewalk near you. it’s all in form and shoes either help or hinder depending on how your body works and the form you’re using.

I used to always run in my basketball shoes (got used to it because I played when I was younger)

However I found my ankles always hurting and would even get shin splints at times.

A few years ago a Navy friend of mine suggested Brooks shoes to me (more specifically Brooks Beast) It was a WORLD of difference running in these things. I even ran a 15K in them. The pressure on my ankles and shins was immediately gone. Brooks has different lines for different foot shapes/arches.

Some/most of them are not good looking shoes, but hell they work. They even have a “mileage” rating haha

edit, this may help you pick a line
http://www.brooksrunning.com/Help/Shoe+Advisor/

You’re old.

In the most polite way I can say it, stop being a pussy. The first few miles are always the worst…keep going and you WILL run through the pain. Having recently gone through marathon training I experienced much of what you’re dealing with and found that the body needs a bit of a warm up before you can get comfortable. I really think this is what keeps most people from running…it’s almost the equivalent to the first few weeks of lifting weights and getting sore muscles. Keep running.

The first month into my training I had devloped big time knee pain. Went to the doctor and he claimed I was on the verge of needing surgery if I were to conitinue. Long story short I ran a marathon 5 months later with no issues.

Shoes can help too…but as you mentioned it’s unlikely that Nike killed our evolution.

Yeah when you first start running you will have a ton of aches and pains. Your body will eventually adjust your mechanics as you keep pushing mileage on it and you will have less pains.

Sneakers are important but its not like you are searching for the PAIR FROM ABOVE or anything. Have your arch and stride checked and you will be good to go.

Post a pic of where it is hurting. Sounds like jumpers knee…bad form. You ever clip the inside of your ankles with your opposing foot as you stride? gimp.

Mike you still running far? I clicked off a breezy 13mi last weekend. Prob going to run another full marathon sometime in the spring.

I think you started off too hard… maybe run 3-4 times a week for 2-3 miles until you build up, don’t try to do it all at once.

beyond that all the advice depends on your needs and will vary considerably.

I run to warm up for lifting. 3 miles in about 26 mins outside or 24 on a treadmill… I don’t love it, but the results are worth it.

While we’re talking about it, how about trails around here? Running on hard even pavement just sucks. Especially when it’s sidewalks cambered towards the street. Anywhere to run in grass or dirt?

I ran last week at this trail through the woods around a lake here in Syracuse and it was way more of a workout than running on pavement. I ran/jogged the 3 mile trail and I was dying, and this is a mostly flat trail that is covered in wood chips.

Yep! …but not as intense as when in training. I’m in the 20-30 mile per week range right now, usually will do 6-7 during lunch…haven’t done too many longer runs. It is def a great feeling to be able to just go out and run for as long as you want! What marathon are you looking into? I’m liking the idea of another destination run to a place I’ve never been. I’ve heard Nashville has a good one in the spring…

Chesnutt Ridge! They have a few 3 mile loops, however be prepared for some decent elevation changes. If you want grass, there’s plenty of room out there for that as well. A few weeks back I did 9-10 through the park never covering the same ground twice…such a nice place to run:)

I’ll keep that in mind as I get back into it. If I have time I may sneak off to UB north campus tonight and run through the fields and around the lake. The question is whether or not I try it barefoot. :pedo:

I remember listening to some segments on NPR about running. They spoke with marathon runners and sports medicine people and they stated that running barefoot was actually better for your body. I don’t really see why when you might step on glass and the such.

I suppose you could also check out the bike path at UB. Plenty of spots to run the grass just off the paved trail.

I have no clue where I want to run it. Maybe another one of the rnr series? Im doing the disney 1/2 on jan 8th. I would do the full but the gf is doing it with me and she just isn’t there yet. Still at the mental barrier part.
I honestly have only been really running well again for the last few months. I had serious back issues and many hours of physical therapy over the winter and now im honestly feeling pretty good and enjoying running again. Only doing 20-30 miles a week at most as well. With stretching and whatnot ive been able to keep mobility up and will do PT again this winter. Running makes me soooo much less stressed and motivated. God I missed it so much.