Runners, step inside.

That’s why god invented Vibrams lol

Vibram sort of follows that philosophy though. They built a product that is made to just protect the foot, while still allowing you to be “barefoot”. I believe they are advertised for use with anything from running, hiking, walking, etc…

Barefoot running? Just a million year old fad.

Harvard Professor:

Author of Born to Run:

Tarahumara Indians:

Fry I get jumpers Knee from pronation(bad form!) and just run it braced till it goes away. When I go out over 15mi I tyically run with both knees strapped. However if I ran these distances often enough it doesn’t hurt at all and won’t happen. ie. keep running!

http://www.ourhealthnetwork.com/conditions/knee/JumpersKneePatellarTendonitis.asp

Don’t think it’s jumper’s knee. It’s very distinctly on the side of my knee. I think/thought it’s just my LCL getting sore for some reason, but it sounds like the way this is described too:

Iliotibial Band Syndrome - ITB
Definition: Pain and inflammation on the outside of the knee, where the iliotibial band (a muscle on the outside of the thigh) becomes tendinous, and results in a friction syndrome by rubbing against the femur (thigh bone) as it runs alongside the knee joint.

Symptoms:
Initially, a dull ache 1-2 kilometres into a run, with pain remaining for the duration of the run. The pain disappears soon after stopping running, later, severe sharp pain which prevents running pain is worse on running downhills, or on cambered surfaces pain may be present when walking up or downstairs.
Local tenderness and inflammation

Causes:
Anything that causes the leg to bend inwards, stretching the ITB against the femur overpronation (feet rotate too far inward on impact) tightness of the ITB muscle lack of stretching of the ITB incorrect or worn shoes excessive hill running (especially downhills) and running on cambered surfaces overtraining

http://www.time-to-run.com/images/1itb.gif

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

And it’s pouring out. Maybe I’ll just sit inside and drink beer tonight. It’s a crossfit rest day anyway.

I have been running about 3 miles a night 3 nights a week for the past 3 months. My knee hurt like hell for the first month, but then it slowly went away. Part of my problem is I probably weigh twice what you do lol. I don’t think I will ever be able to run 15mi in my lifetime. Just suck it up and keep at it.

Jim, learn to tape your arches, I gaurantee you have bad form due to flat footed running style. Shin splints, jumpers knee and weak ankles can be attributed to bad arches/flat footedness.

Trust me, I went through 5 years of pole-vaulting and 4x100, I was the trainers best friend lol.

I miss being able to maintain a 6min/mile pace for a 10k’s and such when I was in the army, not sure I could have ever done a marathon at any of those points though. I’m making most of my weight lifting goals but not my fat loss/body fat % goals yet. I don’t do much if any cardio, so I can’t complain much. been looking at barefoot running as few friends of mine back in TX do it. They wear Vibram Five Fingers (foot gloves) when they’re on an unsure surface that may contain sharp objects you cannot see.

as for where to run… if you’re just going for distance and health and don’t care much about scenery, i used to go to the local high school track (orchard park) in the later evening to run. The track is made partially of recycled tires and has a really nice feel to it when running. I tacked on a couple more miles simply by running there instead of on the road, quite literally over night. I don’t know where you’re located or if all tracks are like that, but it’s work a look in my opinion.
If you can’t handle running in circles though, it’s pretty much useless to try. Music helps.

Parker field is a nice track, Lincoln park is not a nice place.

I run actively and I do own +$100 pair of runners. By heavy running I have done as much as 6miles 4 x a week or about 10-12 miles in a single run.

It happens but I have always heard good running shoes are the way to go. You must get the ones that are right for your foot though so make sure to look into that. Try running walking paths or soccer fields as those are softer than a road/sidewalk.

The saying no pain no gain is not true for when your muscles hurt in running so don’t push it.

also just wanted to add that stretching is possibly the most important thing you can do. and not just 15 seconds per leg, set aside a good 30 minutes for warmup and stretching. You can avoid a LOT of problems this way

Furthermore don’t expect to be iron man every day. I have run as little as one mile at times simply because it was not my day. Could be the weather, your body not feeling well, the food you ate or more. My example is that Monday I easily ran 4 miles while today I struggled for 2 miles.

Fry just start running with Geehee and I sometime. We pwn

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_O_wiBwUTjr8/TGr6F12Y0HI/AAAAAAAAAj4/K8mAbyPMj9c/s1600/boom.jpg

i’ve done 3 back to back 12 hour days, we just blasted out a 3 mile run somewhere around an 7.5 min pace

I pretty much don’t stretch. Ever. At all. :tup:

I’ll see what I can do at lunch. Crossfit should be pretty quick today (3 supersets of kettlebell snatches whatever those are and pullups) so I should have time to knock out a mile or two.

We’ll see.

Fry, I run, Everyday, some times twice a day. Have you ever thought about takng a aspirin before? Hit me up with an email

I had a physical therapist tell me that stretching before long runs can be a bad thing. What you want to do is warm up by doing a light run or just slowly get up to speed.

I also read somewhere recently that it can be counter-productive and that it’s not proven to prevent injury

The idea is that stretching doesn’t prepare your muscle for dynamic use and can actually lead to further injury. It doesn’t mimic any type of motion that you’ll be doing while running. Warm ups are the way to go.

yeah, that’s what I read

I will say this though, I HATE the feeling of tight muscles. I think that’s why I DO like to stretch. Just sort of makes my range of motion feel more fluent.