«OFFICIAL» Watercraft / Jet Ski / PWC Thread + Boats

@Scott upgrade your life vest game. That shit looks like you stole it from the paddle boat rentals at Delaware park, lol.

Damn the water level is HIGH today. I could jump parts of the break wall with my ski, lol.

Erie Basin:

basin1

basin2

Ice boom comes out tomorrow :+1:

I had to finish a quick edit from the last ride of 2018:

Been watching the MODIS images for a couple weeks now. Pulled the boat out of storage last weekend so I could start getting it ready.

Hasn’t been a clear day to get a good look at the ice since the 17th:

https://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.php?region=e&page=1

@jays I really only look at the lake temp. If it’s over 60 degrees I’ll be in there, lol.

On a related note, this skyway construction is really annoying. I can’t wait until it’s done and outer harbor access is back to normal.

Yeah, I’m less concerned with water temp on my boat and more concerned with going full Titanic on a random iceberg if we go out before the lake is fully flushed of ice. :slight_smile:

Also, any of you thinking of getting an early run in, don’t forget this recent law change about life jackets…

My boat is 21’ so we’re good but I doubt I’ll be out before May 1st anyway. There have been some really warm spring years when we’ve been out on the water in April though.

I actually wish this applied AFTER May 1st to the kayak gangs.

Lake Ontario getting to the danger level. It’s 2017 all over again. If it comes up another 6", we’re going to be pulling boats back out of the water, since it will be over the fixed docks. I’m “ok” since I’m on a floating dock, but there is danger of the floater ripping away from the breakwall, or yanking the power/water connections off. Also, the pilings on either side are now under my rub strips, so backing in if it’s a windy day can become a bit of a challenge.

My dock at the end of last year(I’m second from the end on the left):

Pic taken yesterday:

1 Like

I don’t remember this ever being an issue in all the years I’ve lived in WNY but since plan 2014 was put in place in 2016 we’ve had massive flooding in 2017 and 2019. But of course the government says it’s not Plan 2014’s fault. No, of course not. You kept the lake level a foot higher than normal in the fall then you’re surprised it floods in the spring.

yikes that’s close @bracketracer. I wouldn’t want to be embroiled in that mess if the floating dock breaks loose.

Wife and I decided to sell the boat I restored and snagged a fresh 2019 Axis A22. Already have 30 hours on it.

IMG_2198

Man, those are really well laid out wakeboats. Like that a lot.

Thanks! It really rocks for small lakes and water sports.

Oh, and since this is still purportedly a car forum, this one has a GM 6.0L L96 in it.

GM for lyfe

Heck yea! :metal:

Not just Lake Ontario either, Lake Erie is supposed to get close to the all time highest level set in '86. It’s already 2ft higher than it was back in 2009-2010 ish

The news said it was 9" higher a few days ago, but GLCFS says it’s currently normal.

Actually it shows Ontario as being normal-ish too, lol:

Here’s the most up-to-date info for Ontario: https://ijc.org/en/loslrb/watershed/current-conditions

2 Likes

Looking like a repeat of 2017 that’s for sure.

What’s most bothersome is it looks like they could have easily dropped the level of Ontario over the winter since the system downstream could have handled it and flushed it out to sea but instead chose to keep it about a foot over average. Now they’re stuck because downstream can’t handle more water without flooding Montreal. Would have been nice to have that extra foot of storage in Ontario at the start of the spring melt, or better yet, let it get a foot below average over the winter so you’d have 2 feet to play with.

When Plan 2014 was sold they said they were going to allow the lake to get both higher and lower than the prior lake management plan to more sync with it’s natural cycles. It’s not a natural cycle when you’re ALWAYS keeping it higher than normal.

Flat water yesterday, sunny skies, no wind, but…