«OFFICIAL» Watercraft / Jet Ski / PWC Thread + Boats

Two 80 footers I saw in Grand Haven this weekend. One old and one new.

1 Like

Forgot about this thread. Had some pretty good adventures with the boat this year despite not getting it out as much as I’d like between my rotator cuff surgery in May and one of the wettest July’s on record.

Taught my daughter to slalom ski (and wasn’t allowed to ski myself because of my shoulder recovery):

Did an 80 mile loop while on vacation at a lake house on Cayuga Lake. Through the lock at the top of Cayuga and across the canal to Cross Lake. That section of the canal is a 30mph limit so a nice on plane cruise.

A couple meals at River Works by boat.

Lots of WNY sight seeing

Saw the Blue Angles from the boat, which was amazing. Several times they passed right over us.

Sorry for the vertical video, kid was shooting this one.

1 Like

Nice.

I am always watching for a boat bargain but its getting worse. Everyone wants 2x what an old ass boat should sell for.

The fam and I were out on a friend’s pontoon yesterday in chautauqua. Camping here always picks up the search activity.

Yeah, there haven’t been any boat deals since covid started. Prices are insane. Not as bad as Buffalo Boat Club though. Friend of a friend signed up for that and I got the details.

$2500 up front, $400 a month (for all 12 months of the year) and a 3 year commitment contract. They have a whopping 4 boats, so good luck getting anything on the weekend unless you’re reserving weeks in advance, which all but guarantees the weather will be terrible on your day. You’re limited to the upper river and lake erie (since they’re stored in the water near smith boys) and the first year you’re on probation so only allowed to have them out from dawn till dusk. You also have to fill it up with gas before you bring it back, so count that against your “dusk” time.

I have no idea why someone wouldn’t just buy a used boat and if they decide boating isn’t their thing sell it. The great part about used boats is they really hold their value compared to cars if you take care of them. Of course right now you’d have to factor in some bubble loss because eventually the recreation bubble is going to pop, but still, $400 a month and $2500 down buys a nice used boat even today.

That does seem crazy, but for people with more money than time, it must make sense somehow.

The other other problem i have now is that if something does look reasonably priced, it must be a scam.

How hard could it be to fix a boat engine.

I have helped pull one the last time I was in chautauqua

Problem is even once you fix it you have a closed blow cuddy, IMO the worst boat design ever.

My evening.

1 Like

:tup:
Last time we were on a cuddy, the kids hung out in there for the shade.
I do see the benefit of the open bows for seating and overall access.

Definitely need shade, especially for the kids, but a bimini is a way better option. I ended up swapping out the 6’ bimini that came with my 21’ Larson for an 8’ to give us more shade. The bimini I can easily stow and have full sun when I want it though, vs a cuddy where most of the time that closed in area just sucks and there’s nothing you can do about it. Just an opinion obviously… some people swear by cuddy boats. The 6’ bimini on my 18’ Chaparral was fine but on the 21’ boat I found the entire back bench was in the sun most of the time.

1 Like

My season on the water has been limited to kayaks, canoes & that little sailboat I found on FB marketplace. So zero speed, lol.

1 Like

1 Like

Can’t beat that.

Ive always wanted one of these

So the wife has given the go ahead for a boat, which I didn’t think would ever happen. Where do you guys recommend renting a slip for the summer? Probably end up with something 28 foot or so, since it has to have a head.

@JayS will probably have better insight into this, but I think it depends on which lake or river.

Always been a trailer boat guy so no idea on slips. I guess start with deciding if you want to be on the river or lake more.

I did a slip once. Hate the build up of shit on the hull. Then you need acid and all kinds of bs to clean.

I don’t have a boat, but all my friends use trailers unless it’s over 30’

Well that was my issue from the beginning, having shit all over the hull and out drive, but the wife just wants to get in and go, which I get, I’d like to do the same thing. Other issue is I can’t have a boat parked in my driveway all summer in my neighborhood, so trailering comes with the added time of taking it back and forth to a storage facility, which really starts to blow.

An additional issue, now that I’ve been looking at boats for the last couple of weeks is nobody has what I want, either used or new. So, I might just have to order one and hope it comes in before the summer is done, which blows.

Is a 22 footer fine for Lake Erie/Niagara River? Our plan is to put it in the water here, but eventually, get a Lake House up in Old Forge. The issue is anything over 25 is a bit too big for up there.

:+1:

That said, I’m not a fan of the river. I know @jays would probably disagree. On any nice day there’s too much traffic, and that means it’s very choppy. I had a slip on Grand Island for my jetski and I only lasted there for a year.

That’s said, the lake can get choppy too. But you can also take short trips to the beaches south of Buffalo. I found that too be much more enjoyable. And you’re still able to find calm water away from traffic.