Oil Cooler Mounting and Flow (upside down)

Alright guys, well I’m installing my oil cooler and the best way for it to fit at the moment would be for the fittings to be on the bottom due to the way i have everything else set up, however, wouldnt having the inlet/outlet for the oil on the bottom of the cooler create an air trap ?

I thought about this for a long time and came to a conclusion that its not ok to mount it with fittings on the bottom. Then I thought that it would be ok as long as the oil cooler is FIGURE A type as shown below.

http://xs218.xs.to/xs218/07323/oicoolers.JPG

And if I was to mount a Figure B cooler with fittings on the bottom it would create an air trap ? Or would it not anyway because the oil would stay in it and not vaccuum back into the oil pan after I shut my motor off ? Because technically if theres oil all the way from the pickup through the pump through the filter fitting through the line through the cooler and to the filter which is way up high, than when I shut my motor off all that would drain is from the other side of the filter which is the highest point in the system ?

And than theres this with TWO of them mounted upside, makes me think they are both figure A type.

http://www.fensport.co.uk/galleryfiles/runxfront.jpg

Vlad if you flow from one side of the cooler (top to bottom, bottom to top, left to right, right to left), it will net you the greatest amount of cooling. Because ultimately your oil is being pumped, if it’s pumped from the bottom to the top, you have less of an air pocket being trapped, and extended cooling time.

oil system is under pressure, it does not matter how the cooler is oriented

oil pressure > gravity

^^^ those were my thoughts too. System is pressurized so I wouldn’t worry much Vlad.

I’m posting from Justins computer because I’m banned at the moment so yeah…

Anyways, the reason I say go top to bottom or bottom to top is to give air a place to go to.

Same as your coolant system being under pressure, you can still get air in the system.

Ward. Air gets entrained in oil in various forms, like little bubbles or foam.