Oil in the intake, car running like crap.

Hey guys. When we pulled the filter off of the intake pipe on the S13 sr20 Redtop we found quite a bit of oil in the filter and all the way down to the turbo. How much should we worry? Also he blew the ECU by putting the battery in backwards, we changed the ecu and now the car sounds like its only running off of 3 cylinders. Could that be the ignitor or something else? The car ran fine before the ECU problem.

There should be some oil in the intake track as the turbo is oil cooled.

Just how much oil was there?

like dripping everywhere?

There was a fair amount. Not running or anything but a little drip. Also there was oil in the sheep dog B.O.V.

some of the oil in your intake going to the turbo may be coming from the rubber line coming off your valve cover and going into the rubber intake tube. It is normal to have a little bit of oil build up in the intercooler plumbing. I dont know how bad your case is but if its not that bad then dont worry about it.

The oil doesn’t seem to be a problem at all, and as far as the car running abilities it turns out the 2 of the injectors are seized open.

dude you dont understand how to put a battery in or how the vent system works and you expect to have a 240 with all of that? wow

theres supposed to be oil if you have the line hooked up to your valve cover and a shitty running motor.

Excuse me DTS but Nismo_Only doesn’t own this car the car he is speaking about it is one of my costumers cars I asked Nismo_Only for help and he posted on here please keep your negative comments to your self

Thank you

Uh yeah.

Customer? That’s kinda scary.

No there shouldn’t be ANY oil in there. An SR red top uses a catch can, not a PCV to intake tract set up.

The oil that cools the turbo STAYS in the turbo.

If there is oil in there, it’s one of two things.

Your return line (the fat line that goes into the oil pan) is kinked, or blocked, or at too severe an angle. This forces oil into all kinds of places it shouldn’t be.

That’s unlikely though, because usually that kicks oil into the exhaust side.

Time for turbo rebuild. Sounds like an oil seal has gone. Now hot oil is blowing into your intake. This is not OK, because it will eventually find it’s way to your TB, and when your wheel is spinning upwards of 100,000 rpm, even a droplet of oil hitting the blades can stall them, or just unbalance it. Seals sometimes weep just a bit of oil and are fine for a long time, others just keep getting worse. My last turbo that was being boosted unmercifully (17 psi, very small turbo) developped a seal leak, and within 100 km was spewing oil everywhere … think Spy Hunter.

Since the oil has already made it to the BOV, check out the spark plugs. If they’re badly oil fouled, will cause all kinds of running issues.