OMGZ!! Iphone coming to VZW?? No Wai!!

I reaaaallllyyyyy want to make this part clear. [SIZE=3]This is not a thread to discuss the iphone and its pros/cons. This is a thread to talk about the reports of Apple looking to make a CDMA version.

[SIZE=2]http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/29/wsj-apple-developing-new-iphone-plus-another-for-verizon/

Ok, so, my answer to the question “Like, OMG!! When do you, like, think, like VZW will get the iphone?? TEEHEE, TEEHEEHEE!!” has always been “Never”. It’s not because I enjoy being asked the same question all the god damned time, rather a couple other reasons, which will follow.

This article does not state what carrier a CDMA version will be going to, nor that they have started making them. It simply states that they are looking at a certain company to do the manufacturing for them. It could end up on Sprint too as a Wimax device (which would REALLLLYY put some strength behind wimax, but thats another debate).

I have a hard time even imagining the possibility that it will end up on VZW because VZW is just simply too fucking stubborn and childish to allow some other company that amount of control. Ranging from distribution to the plans to warranty issues to the app store and not being in control of those potential profits…the list goes on.

In terms of any bad blood between the two companies from past advertising… I doubt that would be a real issue.

Would it be a good move? Well, are you talking for apple, or one of the carriers?

For Apple? Sure, thats more customers you will get from people who cant get GSM service or wont leave their CDMA carrier. Apple’s end game is and always has been “we want to move more units / sell more downloads”.

For VZW? In theory yes. There are plenty of current customers asking for it, and plenty of people on GSM carriers looking to jump ship, but wont because they love their iphone. Also, a LTE enabled iphone would be great to launch their LTE network with it. However, VZW’s end game will be “How many more NEW subscribers will we get from this?”.

For Sprint, I think this might be a “do or die” move. Launch it with Wimax. We all know about sprints customer battles, this would get them a lot of new subs on decent ARPU plans. Sprint will be a lot more open and flexible to meeting apple’s demands (vs VZW). However, VZW just has too much bloody money, and if they want to flex some muscle, they’ve got it available if they want to throw it around.

Gah, I dont know. Everything in me says “NOOOO!!!” but I’m sure they [vzw] are taking a serious look at it.

Discuss, INTELLIGENTLY.

[SIZE=1](Quick recap of me: I’ve been doing VZW for…6-7 years now? in some way/shape/form. For the past 2 I’ve been managing their B2B distribution channel at Ingram (to put it simply). Anyone that knows me knows that I’m a phone nerd, and am more than qualified to speak on this subject.)

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

yeah, clearly apple will expand their marketshare greatly

Android is really starting to nip at their heals and will soon be standing right next to them. If the iPhone gets to the CDMA carriers, they will start to own the market again. Really, that’s the ONLY way for them to get back on top of the market.

If it does switch to VZW, I’ll make the move. I love the iPhone but I am not particularly happy with AT&T’s service. Plus, the new iPhone is rumored to come out this summer, so if VZW picks it up before AT&T, then it’s just more the reason to switch.

I dunno. For some reason I don’t see it happening. VZW’s built their brand around their network and as of late the droid series as its flagship devices. Plus I thought the rumors are that the CDMA iPhone will be the same as the current iPhone and AT&T will get a new iPhone. I don’t see that flying at VZW. Sprint however seems to love sloppy seconds.

I have to wonder if there are any contractual/legal issues with Google that would keep VZW from scooping up a CDMA iPhone…

Who knows. It would probably bring them a lot of customers though, and really shoot AT&T in the eye.

I think Verizon is probably at the point that it’s more than happy to get over it’s stupid nanny network issues with the app store and Apple store to stop bleeding customers to AT&T as the iPhone becomes more and more popular. I’m guessing Verizon has finally stopped waiting for the mythical “iPhone killer” phone to show up on their network like a unicorn riding in over the horizon. It’s not coming. The Droid is good but it’s just not as good.

I really hope Verizon does get an iPhone because it will relieve a bunch of pressure on AT&T’s network while at the same time forcing better competition for pricing and speed.

This is a good point, but I dont think VZW’s lawyers would sign anything that allowed another company to dictate who they could work with in the future (i’ve had way too many run ins with their legal department, I swear lawyers make up half their workforce)

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Eh, saying they are bleeding customers is a bit strong, but I really dont see them dropping the “holier than thou” attitude anytime soon. I’ve delt with everyone from sales reps to Directors (in multiple sales channels), and it’s just one of those companies where you need to put on some blinders and take a big gulp of the coolaid if you want to stick around.

While I know this is an opinion what makes you feel this way? the only thing the iphone has over the droid is itunes/ipod. maybe ease of use, but only because more people are familiar with it. the droid does almost everything better than the iphone.

As for the iphone coming to vzw,I’im pretty sure it will. It will be a great move for apple and vzw will finally get all the apple freaks to leave at&t. so many people would be buying a phone they already own, then add in the people that wont go to at&t for service reasons that want the phone. But I still think in a few years android will be bigger than the iphone.

I am pretty sure that the CDMA is for the Korean market

I disagree I have used my Dad’s Moto Droid and my mom’s Iris and they are just not as polished or nice as the iphone. The Nexus One is however very nice and is more at the iPhone level. Secondly for all the bitching about the Apple App Store process I fell it is far superior to the Android Market, plus lot of the apps I have seen on the droid side just suck.

I am happy with AT&T, I just want tethering… I also would like Apple to make a 64gb iPhone, better camera with flash and multitasking, there are other features I want but those are at the top.

In the end it would be wise for Apple to expand in the US.

Free data plans via Geehee?

I like my Droid better…I have the iPhone now and it sits in my holster, and gets used once and a while.

annnnnnnd pushing back towards the topic of discussion…

this isnt a comparison of the iphone VS the droid.

Word. Lets talk iPhone vs Symbian. :run:

I thought I remember from a business school case study that Apple gets a fraction of iphone users’ monthly subscription fee from AT&T. I don’t remember if that’s the case or not, but I certainly don’t see VZW going for that.

Well what else would we discuss…There are reports that Apple is developing 2 new iphones one for Verizon…I guess we can end the topic now.

They do, and from what I remember it’s more than a fraction. I remember thinking “how in the hell does ATT make any money off this partnership?”.

if it’s more than a fraction, isn’t that technically the whole thing?

:ham:

i meant to imply that it was more than a nominal amount.

haha I know, just fucking with ya

I don’t know, i like them both. I have noticed that i don’t see the verizon commercials on tv that bash the iphone in awhile. The last one was “There’s a map for that” or whatever, but maybe they decided they can’t bash on something that’s coming their way.

Or maybe I just don’t watch enough tv and those commercials are still on all the time.

From what I got from the WSJ article yesterday, Apple is in the process of developing two new iPhones. One is GSM based, scheduled to launch this summer (to coincide with previous iPhone launches). The other is possibly CDMA based. The article did not dive any further into whether it was CDMA or not, they just rambled on into what it could mean for VZW.

My personal opinion is this: I think it’d be stupid for verizon to release the iPhone on their CDMA network and not roll it out to LTE for a kick off. Additionally, I think Apple would be stupid all together on releasing a Verizon based iPhone. Yeah, it would lead to more marketshare, but also reduce the exclusivity they have going for them now. It would be great kicker for Sprint and WiMax, as well. From being around phones as much as I am, and talking to many-a Verizon reps, I do not see Verizon liking the outcome of their financials with an Apple based contract. Like others have said, they are far too stingy with their money.