once in a while my s10 wont start

i dont know what the hell it is but its pissing me off. truck is a 97 s10 2.2 auto 2wd.

what happens is once in a while…ALWAYS on a cold morning…i go out to leave for class and jump in and turn the key…cranks, sounds like im good to let go, “VROOOchugchugchug STALL”. so i go to re-start it…it just cranks and cranks and cranks but wont catch and fire. only 50 miles on the full tank of gas, perfect amount of oil, perfect amount of coolant…i mean, everything is as it should be. I have had a check engine light on since i got the truck but autozone always got a 3 or 4 codes that seemed to be opposites of each other leaving it inconclusive.

if i wait like an hour, and go back out there and pump the gas intermittently while trying to start it i can get it to start, but its HARD.

the only issue with the truck that is known for sure is the gas gauge itself does not read, and that is a common problem with the s10’s sending unit.

any ideas what this could be? the truck has cost me two classes already and it always happens at home in the driveway. this is about the 5th time since i got the truck it has done this (6+months)

vacume leak?

i have the same problem with the s10 it only haopens once in a while. it is the o2 sensor.

when the truck warms up its fine.

is your ok when its warm?

yeah its completely normal when its warm out, never a problem

did they pull an o2 code?

may have, i had all SORTS of codes that were wierd. i thought for a while the fuel pump was on its way out, but then changed the fuel filter and the truck ran great up until it got cold out…if i can get it to start again ill go have the codes read again. i also have the maintenance records from the day the truck rolled off the lot from the previous owner, so im sorting through those to see if the 02 has been replaced recently or not

170,000 miles on the thing lol

lol perfect time for all the problems to come out.

yeah, i was told when i bought the truck brakes, plugs, wires, etc… were all done recently.

now for the egr valve, tps and iac sensors to go. And weird vacume leaks.

the TPS was replaced 30k miles ago.

I usely can get it started. i know your not supposed but i pump the gas and after a few trys it starts right up. nick can never get it started he refuse to wake me up to start it for him

i dont know what it is, i try pumping it sometimes but amanda has teh right touch i guess. I called advance auto parts, $22 for the 02…now i need a place to do it other than my driveway

clean mass air flow sensor clean throttle body. i bet its the throttle body is really gummed up with carbon build up. the only thing pumping the gas pedal is going to do is open the throttly body

Does the 2.2 have a cold start injector? I know the 2.8 multiport did. It was an extra injector that fired only in cold start conditions.

If you have one my guess is when you changed the filter you dislodged some garbage that clogged the injector. That would explain it running perfectly when it’s warm.\

EDIT: Looking into it I guess that cold start injector was a weird thing GM did only on the 2.8 and some 5.7’s so it wouldn’t apply here.

Check the fuel pump pressure. Sounds like a weak pump

http://www.s10planet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11407

cross posted this for ya, and its all coming up teh same as what they’re saying

well, they are saying fuel filter…which i changed 2 months ago so thats brand new. i do think i am going to seafoam everything though, and get an 02 sensor…it was never replaced