Orr89rocz's 1989 Camaro Iroc-z 5.7L

naw, i really think i’m gonna hit up the 503 cam. if i want bigger, then i can always get it later

wussy

go big or go home

You ARE keeping the roller setup right?

Comp# 08-306-8
Comp# 08-503-8

Are these the two you are considering?

yeah those are the two he’s looking at.

503 is nice if you want driveability or if you have a heavy ass car.

306!!!

or man the fuck up bitch, and :bowdown: GM 847 that fuckin car and be done with it!!!

Ok then, the 306 is what I have in my engine currently and it’s WAY too friggin’ mild as far as I’m concerned.

You should IN NO WAY go for anything less than the 306.

Maybe even go up a bit.

Go on the Comp web site and fill in all your car info and they will get back to you with a recommendation.

I did, and they recommended an 08-443-8 for mine. If I change cams though, I am going to change everything to a solid roller setup. They told me that they would grind any of their solid roller grinds on an 08 blank so it would slip right into my motor. This swap would probably end up costing about $1500 by the time I was done, so maybe next year…

gm847 + stock bottom end = :scared:

the 847 isn’t that much more impressive over the 306 anyways.

hahah WUSSY!!! the 847 is nice in stroker motors, but ya, just get the 306 already and be done with it u lil sissy man

or just put a pig block in it :rolleyes:

hahahaha

first off a cc306 in a 408 inch motor willl be mild.

on a 350 its a beast. i wont beable to tune that without some help and i planned on doing it myself

plus i dont want to run 1.6’s with that cam since the lift will be HUGE. i’ll have to get 1.5 rockers

cc503 is a very stout cam… 306 LT1’s make like 350-360whp on stock heads. 503 will do 340-345whp.

i’ll sacrifice 15-20hp for better driveability, 300-400rpms less, and more low end torque/hp. it will be PLENTY of cam.

EDIT: not to mention i only have shorties with weak collectors as is… i want longtubes but i’ll have to wait till i get those and jeff can do the custom ypipe

08-433-8

thats that 236/242 grind…very nice cam and should be nice in that 408. I’d be tempted to try the XFI 242/248 on that setup tho. with 113 lsa it will also like nitrous. else get that 433 xe288 cam on a 114 lsa for your spray…it will like it

08-443-8 - Actually it’s 242/248, but yeah, I know what ya mean about a wide LSA for nitrous.

But, I’m not going to change to any other hydraulic roller. If I am going to make a change, it will be to a solid roller cam. Both Comp and Crane make tall solid roller lifters to fit a chevy roller block with no modifications. I would also need new springs/retainers/locks/pushrods, so it would get into some $$$ to make the change.

why not run 1.6’s with it? it’s a lot of lift but if you port your heads down the road (or right now) it will make some very nice numbers.

and if you sacrifice 15-20 hp now, u might sacrifice 10 hp later… then another 10 hp with another mod. It all starts adding up.

if the tuning thing is an issue, a have a couple of buddies that have obdI f-buckets with a 306 cam in it. You can just peak at those tables if you need a nudge in the right direction.

it all boils down to this. everyone wants you to run the 306. I went through this phase with my car. I was thinking about just putting a hotcam or 305 in mine. I stick by the decision I made.

Just read a quote:

Having a small cam is like having a small dick, everytime you go to use it, you wish it was bigger.

EDITED: Got AFR heads from a gift from my dad

OK, now you have options…

RHS makes a 200cc head with a 50cc chamber and they flow like crazy.

http://i4.tinypic.com/6lbrhhh.jpg

Link to App Chart…

http://www.racingheadservice.com/Information/Technical/Heads/SmallBlockChevy-Heads.asp#appChart

Look like they run about $620 each/assembled (set up for hydraulic roller cam) or $360 each/bare…

:bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

50 cc may be very small lol

i’d like to keep it 58-64…maybe i’ll have them milled down

i’m still not set on the 503 cam but was thinking something abit more custom like those high lift 503 lobes or maybe the xfi stuff but those aggressive lobes are hard to control over 6000rpms. i’d have to do something like beehives

Smartest thing said in this thread.

it may get a pig block someday… i really like Todds setup, but i’d want it on a 5xx incher. By then i hope to have a standalone fuel DFI unit of somesort and i hope i’ll beable to tune it.

edit for updates