paint scheme--any nys laws forbid??

I was wondering, has anybody heard of, or know any laws that prohibit certain colors or certain types of paint to be allowed on vehicles? In particular, im wondering if reflective paint, or any kind that may light up at night when in the path of headlights (like on a police cruiser) is illegal on non-state/town vehicles, according to NYS laws… Anybody hear of anything like this?? Any web pages list can’s and can not’s??

reflective paint like Road stripes? as long as its Reflected light i dont think its an issue. your car just cant emit light designated as a emergency vehicle like blue or red.

Ive made tons of reflective decals. but have yet to see reflective paint on a vehicle.

As far as I know there is now law prohibiting what you are asking.

well u cant use laquer paint on cars anymore but colors I dunno…I am assuming anything that will draw crazy amounts of attention or impare other peoples vision woudl be frowned upon but illegal i dunno…but search the DMV website

dupli-color makes a glow in the dark paint…i kinda want it

Only things I know of are that you can not change the color of a vehicle to represent an emergency vehicle or a school bus. You should be able to paint it pretty much whatever color you want. Changing factory lights and adding your own external lights is where it gets really messy.

also, paint like “mira-chrome” or the like i believe are illegal in certain states. as for which states, im not positive, but being NY sucks like that, it prolly is illegal here.

ps - Nappy, can you elaborate on that? i was pulled over recently because “my car is registered as a cav, and it doesnt look like any cav the cop has seen”. but no tickets, or threats of tickets. i think he was just curious

[quote=“nappy1380,post:6,topic:34206"”]

Only things I know of are that you can not change the color of a vehicle to represent an emergency vehicle or a school bus. …

[/quote]

but what about the hondas with the white and black “panda” scheme? isnt that the same as a white & black interceptor?

just cover your car with side markers?

[quote=“Eazy716,post:7,topic:34206"”]

also, paint like “mira-chrome” or the like i believe are illegal in certain states. as for which states, im not positive, but being NY sucks like that, it prolly is illegal here.

ps - Nappy, can you elaborate on that? i was pulled over recently because “my car is registered as a cav, and it doesnt look like any cav the cop has seen”. but no tickets, or threats of tickets. i think he was just curious

[/quote]

The cop was just being a prick and trying to give you a hard time. Odds are he didn’t want to see your car, he wanted to see if there was anything in your car/on your car that he could get you on. I don’t know the extent of the convo between you and the officer but that would be my guess.

[quote=“RedrRocket,post:8,topic:34206"”]

but what about the hondas with the white and black “panda” scheme? isnt that the same as a white & black interceptor?

[/quote]

Section 375 Sub Section 21 in NYS V&TL touches on specifics about bus colors. Apparently there are nationally recognized colors that can not be used on a vehicle but haven’t located a full list yet.

http://criminaljustice.state.ny.us/crimnet/ccman/vtlndx01.pdf

http://law.onecle.com/new-york/vehicle-and-traffic/index.html

I use these two sites the most for V&TL.

Wow, this is going to be funny and cool.

:drama2:

I cant wait to see pics, or the video on youtube!!

Gus

eh, after taking a look at that 2nd website, i think ill just go a different route. I dont feel like contributing to the PBA any more than i have to…

well if the bus color is illegal then why fuck is that guy in the GHOST RIDE IT vid crusing around in one?
And you CAN BUY old schoolbuses i saw one awhiles back where that faggot gorino’s used to be on the corner lot there on bailey and sheridan

[quote=“JDMAllstars,post:14,topic:34206"”]

well if the bus color is illegal then why fuck is that guy in the GHOST RIDE IT vid crusing around in one?
And you CAN BUY old schoolbuses i saw one awhiles back where that faggot gorino’s used to be on the corner lot there on bailey and sheridan

[/quote]

I never said you couldn’t actually buy a bus :gotme:. It just says you can’t take regular vehicles and try to modify them to look like actual buses. You can’t paint, letter, equip a vehicle.