parking brake light on dash stays on (s13)

ok…i need help fixing this plz. heres the story…last nite i was fixin puttin in new rotors nd pads…and the piston on the left rear wouldn’t retract…so i took it out and put it back in…forced the pads to go fit the rotor…then i put it all together…i find out that one of the rear wheels (left rear) won’t lock when i pull the ebrake so i tried adjusting it by tightening the cables on the adjusting nut under the handbrake lever. after that…still the left rear won’t lock…and then i found out the parking brake stays lit when release…i thought to myself…i prolly tightened it too much…and so i slackened the cables back to where it was b4 and now it the parking light still stays lit

did you bleed the brakes ?

and the sensor is under the e-brake

i kno the sensor thing…which touches that thing and it has a spring on it…i pushed it and also released it…disconnected and reconnected the wire…i think its being shorted/grounded somewhere…but i checked every electrical thing…started the car too…disconnected my battery and reconnected…i’ll try using my voltage tester to see whats goin on

about bleeding…i never disconnected the brake hose…do i still have to bleed it?

Dont have to bleed, but is it stock fluid… Stuff does break down after awhile. Wouldnt hurt to run new stuff through the lines.

ebrake is mechanical. it doesnt run on the hydraulic system.

you’re running out of brake fluid.

running out of brake fluid?
i sprayed some oil in the piston b4 removing it…then wen i took it out…i unno if it was the oil or brake fluid dripping out…i put it back anyways…parking brake is mechanical using cables to lock the rear wheels.

you took out the piston? didnt read that…

well yea thats brake fluid. you will have to bleed your brakes if u did that.

sry for the noob question,
how do you exactly tighten the e-brake (s13).
And is there really a preferance on how tight it is? or just as tight as possible.

Thanks!

ok thanks…i’ll check the level of my brake fluid and bleed that caliper.

and yes…about tightening the ebrake…if u bring it up about 6 or 7 notches you will see a hole in the cover. i think its a 8 or 9mm nut. i didn’t have anything long enuff so i removed the centre console and pulled up the rubber handbrake cover and tightened it with an adjustable wrench…took a looong while.

thanks for the help guys. i’ll try bleeding it tom morning

should be a 10mm nut irc to tighten the ebrake handle.

as i remember it doesnt really make your ebrake lock faster or anything. its just tightening the ebrake handle.

like the other guy said its ur brake fluid
happend to me like a week ago

How about checking you brakes? That light turns on when your fluid is low. As you brake pad wear the caliper piston stays out farther holding more fluid. Eventually setting the light. Brake fluid just doesn’t evaporate or disappear. You people really shouldn’t be working on your cars or giving advise, if you don’t know what your doing.

ok…i need help fixing this plz. heres the story…last nite i was fixin puttin in new rotors nd pads…and the piston on the left rear wouldn’t retract…so i took it out and put it back in…forced the pads to go fit the rotor…then i put it all together…i find out that one of the rear wheels (left rear) won’t lock when i pull the ebrake so i tried adjusting it by tightening the cables on the adjusting nut under the handbrake lever. after that…still the left rear won’t lock…and then i found out the parking brake stays lit when release…i thought to myself…i prolly tightened it too much…and so i slackened the cables back to where it was b4 and now it the parking light still stays lit

did you bleed the brakes ?

and the sensor is under the e-brake

i kno the sensor thing…which touches that thing and it has a spring on it…i pushed it and also released it…disconnected and reconnected the wire…i think its being shorted/grounded somewhere…but i checked every electrical thing…started the car too…disconnected my battery and reconnected…i’ll try using my voltage tester to see whats goin on

about bleeding…i never disconnected the brake hose…do i still have to bleed it?

Dont have to bleed, but is it stock fluid… Stuff does break down after awhile. Wouldnt hurt to run new stuff through the lines.

ebrake is mechanical. it doesnt run on the hydraulic system.

you’re running out of brake fluid.

running out of brake fluid?
i sprayed some oil in the piston b4 removing it…then wen i took it out…i unno if it was the oil or brake fluid dripping out…i put it back anyways…parking brake is mechanical using cables to lock the rear wheels.