Parking Lot Question

Is it illigal to drift in a parking lot? or just frowned upon?

shakes head

IBTL

what does that mean?

Even if its at night with no cars…if a cop sees you,you are going to get in trouble…

i see, thank you

its called reckless driving = 6pts? or even suspended license? you can do whatever you want if you got permission on PRIVATE property. and even with that said, you could get a ticket for excessive noise.

^ overboost, highway traffic act dosen’t apply to private property, criminal code does, so dangerous driving, yes, potentially

so what would/could happen if someone were to do burnouts and donuts on private property since the highway traffic act doesn’t apply. thanks for the info.

I dont know but i think …since its private and you show them its yours or whatefer… you can do whatever you want …i think?

If you’re in an empty parking lot, privately owned, with the owner’s permission, you can screw around if you need to. Cops can watch you all they want but can’t book you for anything unless they see that you’re putting someone in danger. (ie. if you just barely miss a pedestrian while parking lot “drifting”, you can get booked for dangerous.)

However on your way out, I bet the cops will follow you around, WAITING for you to make the tiniest mistake, or bust you for loud exhaust, any other illegal modifications you’ve made to your car, blah blah blah.

It’s not worth the trouble IMO. Track is best…
or just go nuts in places where you won’t get caught by police…grins

Yeah, but honestly, I doubt the original poster owns the parking lot he wants to drift in…

yea, i dont own a parking lot, lol, thanks for all the info. i guess track is teh way to go since i dont really want to lose my license.

so wait, what CAN they do if you are caught and do NOT have permission?

and even if you do have permission, can’t they book you for exessive noise right when you leave since they cannot book you on private property (with permission of course).

They can book you on private property all day long if they have probably cause, and you making too much noise is probably probable cause. If I go blast music at my house now they won’t wait for me to go on public property the next day to book me.

I’m pretty sure if he was an ass he could give you reckless driving …

Well, what I meant is, the cops can’t book you on private property unless the owner calls them to complain about you. I’m not sure about all this noise stuff, I never looked into things in that much detail.

Dangerous is also a hybrid offence, meaning it can goto trial as a summative or indictable offence. If it’s a first offence it will usually be summative, but if you have a record it’s gonna be indictable.

Also, it isn’t only who is there AT THAT GIVEN TIME you are putting in danger to warrant dangerous driving. You can get dangerous if if there is a reasonable possiblity that people WILL be there.

I’ll find the exact section of the criminal code and post it up.

EDIT: Everything in the criminal code pertaining to Motor Vehicles, Vessels, and Aircraft: http://lois.justice.gc.ca/en/c-46/267407.html

ok theyr not gonna ass rape you, most cases they’ll tell you to cut it out and get lost, make sure noone is watching do a few drifts and get the fcuk outta there, if the cop is an ass he’ll book you for something, just be safe, be smart, and drift as much as you can…

Thats pretty much what you gotta go …well said 8) [/quote]

noise violations, tresspassing etc. are not highway traffic offenses…

i was caught speeding but pulled into my own driveway before the cop could catch me… i got a noise violation.

go with what justin said a couple posts up.

if a cop catches you he will do whatever he feels like doing. he could wait for you to leave and give you reckless or whatever…

as mentioned, track is best

Given that I deal with the Tresspass To Property Act, usually on a daily basis, only person’s acting under the authority given to them by the owner of the property or someone on there behalf can issue a ban or tresspassing ticket. If an Cop does in fact give you a ticket, it can be taken to court and most likely it will be dropped as only the owner of the property can make the charge stick.

Dangerous or wreckless driving pretains only to what is considered “Highways” which are any public streets, roads, avenues, RR’s, number highways, ect, ect. Being on private property no tickets may be issued under the Highway Traffic Act which both of these charges fall under. That being said, if you cause ANY damage to the property, injure or kill someone that’s a whole different story and the Police can charge C.C.C with whatever offence you’ve committed.

Any charge under and “ACT” is considered a quasi-crimial offence meaning it’s a crime but not really a crime. Those charges only envolve a monitary fine with no jail time imposed. Anything committed under the Crimial Code of Canada IS a crime and a monitory fine and/or jail time can be imposed.

Now having all this information is NOT a free pass to go drifting in parking lots. Doing so gives you and the sport of drifting a bad rap so my suggestion, if your gona do it don’t advertise it. :wink:

Edit* HTA link - http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Statutes/English/90h08_e.htm

*Tresspass To Property Act link - http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Statutes/English/90t21_e.htm

*C.C.C link - http://lois.justice.gc.ca/en/C-46/index.html