Pathfinder Exhaust Plans

Ok so here is the deal, chris found me a set of headers on ebay, the dude selling them actually lives 1 km away (small world eh) here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33631&item=7974502152&rd=1&ssPageName=WD4V#ebayphotohosting

the guy is asking 250 for them, my only concern is that there is no y pipe with them. The cost for these headers with no coating just black paint is 400 with a y pipe.

is this a good deal?

As for the exhaust system, i am planing on a 3" crush bend from the headers back, keep in mind this will all be single from the y pipe off the headers. I was told to put a resonator on due to the fact that i am putting a Magnaflow muffler in it, and it may be a little to loud for a pathy.

would the 3" crush bend not provide enough back pressure?
is it recomended to put a resonator on the system?
what kinda cost am i looking at here for the whole system bent and welded up with the resonator and a magnaflow muffler?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any help in advance

Offer him $200, noting that he isn’t including the y pipe or gaskets.

You should probably expect to pay ~$400-500 for a full crush bent system, depending on the muffler and resonator you choose.

Dude…why crush bent and not mandrel? If you’re trying to increase performance, you might as well spend a few more dollars and keep the flow going.

Good price on the headers though. I paid around 350 for my HEADER. :slight_smile:

Resonators are great - they don’t impede flow that much, and you’ll be able to cruise along without deafening yourself or others - not to mention having the police not bother you.

3" is probably too big for your engine unless you are planning on going with some forced induction later on. The reason you don’t want to go too big with the exhaust system is that a little backpressure creates a “Scavenging” effect. What this means is that outgoing exhaust flow that is moving through the pipe actually simultaneously pulls fresh exhaust and the new fuel charge through the cylinders more efficiently, which leads to a power gain. Without sufficient backpressure, you lose the scavenging effect - and thus power.

When I took my exhaust apart and drove to it the shop to get an 02 bung welded in, I had a noticeable decline in performance running just a header because there wasn’t much significant backpressure.

Yea a mandrel bend 3" would not provide enough back pressure, or that is what i am told.

and as for the police bothering me nooo… they only do that to you rice boys and your fart pipes :lol: they like the musle sound… i guess i am just a poser :smiley:

Well, then you need to get a muscle sound then. Anyway, why not mandrel bent 2.5" one muffler. You buy the bends, the straight pipe, and the muffler and find a competent welder. All you need to do is drop your old systema nd copy it, length for length. But having no turbo means, it’s going to be loud, like Mike’s system. My van has a 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust with the magnaflow 11256 muffler.

what is the cost diff between a mandrel and a crush bend.

the cost is in the welder, and what he wants to charge.

who the hell is chris? i found those header for you u bastard.lol :finga:

sorry what name are you going by now “Mike” how should i know :roll:

I think we need name tags.

I think so too Aaron.

Can I get one with double-sided tape so I can stick it on my “special” helmet? :E

How does a tattoo on your fore head sound.

BTW how did you make out at UC after me and Rob left??

In what sense? Jay hung out for awhile after you guys left - but then it was me, VR4 Chica, and the two pizza guys. So we talked for an hour or so, and then I buggered off.

Doesn’t sound very exciting does it? :smiley: There were a few fat guys there, I was thinking about having a fatty parking-lot run off with the timing gear, but thought there might be lawsuits after someone collapsed and died. :E

the vr4 chick got out of her car and talked to you guys? fuck i knew i should of stayed. :cry

She seen ya pull away then came outta her car!! :butthead:

Ha ha ha…

Yeah, she got outta the car. She’s actually really cool too, and knows her stuff about performance. I was quite surprised.

See what happens when you “roll with your homies”, dude - you miss the good stuff. :smiley:

Those two guys in the Z31 really started to piss me off, considering that the passenger has a Z32 that is “Apparently modded to stage 8” and has so much power and is so fast, but he never drives it or dynos it or takes it to the track. Yet they had the nerve to start making fun of your car when they didnt even know who you were.

Anyways …That VR4 girl :dizzy

Yeah - I could imagine someone really being offended by that if they took their car seriously, fortunately I’ll be the first one to make fun of my car.

Anyway, it’s no different with these muscle car guys that think these imports are crap, then they baby their cars around like Grandma’s sitting on a TNT box in the trunk. Corvette owners I’ve met are the most elitist assholes for no reason of any marque I can think of - and when Aaron’s car puts the smack down to them, you can bet the ricer excuses will start flying.

And yes, VR4 girl = teh win. :E

she probably got out of her car and talked to u guys to find out where i went GOD didnt u guys figure this by now. :lol: