PennDot strikes again

Does anyone have any idea why they “tar and chip” roads around here. They dump down a layer of tar then chase it with a pile of stones and make a mess of everything. For weeks you’re kicking up rocks on your car and on everyone behind you. What is up with that?

Asked that last year. They nail every road around where I live and the only purpose is to fuck up my car and make me scared to death on my bike. I ask people from other states about it and they’re like, “WTF is that about?” Apparently it isn’t done much anywhere else.

I grew up in Columbus, and I never heard of it until I moved here. Seems like a way to keep body shops busy.

Ahhhhh I fucking hate it when they do this. They just did acouple roads where I live. I can’t amagine how bad that would suck to be on a bike with all those loose rocks.

Yeah and the twisted part is that they did a road that a bike wiped out on just a week ago. The caution tape is still hanging in the bush he landed in.

they were doing it today here in Coloraldo

Tar & Chip FTMFL!!! … I hate that shit, and I avoid it at all costs if I can.

I hate that shit, too.

I wish that the state/county/township/boro/city would realize if they didn’t use such shitty pavement the first time, they wouldn’t have to do the tar/chip deal.

They tar to seal the road to try and extend the life of it, and then throw chips down to keep the tar from flying up on vehicles.

Which is the dumbest idea on earth since the chips do just as much damaged. Cheep ass PA. Half the time it rains right after and you end up with permanant ruts form drainage in the fucking road like over by me. Its a fuking nightmare.

It might help if the chips actually stuck. A lot of the roads end up with the chips coming off where the tires go when it gets hot, and it sounds like you’re driving through water.

Are they supposed to roll the road after putting the chips down?

The ONLY people who like this shit are Penndot and the people who make the shit. Anyone who actually has to drive on it despises it. They did it to Saxonburg BLVD last year, which was in good condition and didnt need to be screwed up. Since that was my alternate route to work becasue they had 28 all fucked up, they were not real high on my favorites list last year.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08164/889293-147.stm

Tar and chip road paving gets tarred and feathered
Thursday, June 12, 2008
By Joe Grata, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation has suspended tar and chips road maintenance in Allegheny County because it has been causing problems it’s supposed to prevent.

“The emulsion oil is bleeding through the stone,” PennDOT District 11 Executive Dan Cessna said yesterday. “We will determine what occurred and take corrective action.”

Suspension of the tar and chips activity pending an internal investigation comes after PennDOT workers already had sealed 18.3 miles of secondary roads to extend the life of asphalt pavements.

Motorists have never liked the program: On newly sealed roads, tires often kick up the small stones, which chip paint on vehicles. This time, the oil emulsion apparently failed to dry and set up as intended, penetrating the old asphalt surface, breaking up in chunks and leaving shallow potholes.

“The program is doing the opposite of what’s intended,” Mr. Cessna said. “We’ve notified our oil emulsion and stone vendors and are lifting samples and getting them analyzed. The recent heat wave exacerbated the issue, but we expect it’s not the cause.”

PennDOT has had workers out spreading sand on the oil.

PennDOT began the in-house tar and chip treatment of roads late last month and has completed 11 roads thus far, including parts of four in West Mifflin – Bettis Road, Thompson Run Road, Commonwealth Avenue and the shoulders of Buttermilk Hollow Road.

“The problems began revealing themselves about a week or so ago and were random,” Mr. Cessna said, including a road he drives en route to his District 11 office in Collier.

“We are often criticized for seal-coating roads because everyone likes fresh asphalt, but in many instances, this is the most responsible treatment to extend the life of pavements. We need the process to be successful to keep the trust of the public in what we are trying to do.”

PennDOT workers have used about 105,000 gallons of emulsion oil so far, about a fifth of the 475,000 gallons they’re scheduled to use in Allegheny County this season.

x2

They are doing pretty much every hollow from Belle Vernon down passed CentryIII Mall…

Yeah tell me about it :madfawk:

They have been threatening to the road that First Try is on for about a month now. I should mention that the road is fresh paved and is less then 1 year old.

Dear PennDOT,

I really enjoy spending hours of the day picking chunks of tar and stone off of the paint of my car and everywhere else. Please continue to do the worst job possible of maintaining the roads.

-Dan Trump

:rofl:

fixed. PennDOT=fail

its for winter tracion & to slow ppl down!

Slow or fast … it still fucks paint up!