People with 4 Wheelers

Ok, about 6 monthes ago me and my girlfriend moved into a new house in Knox. It used to be my great grandmothers house and it sits on 88 acres, I have been coming up here since I was a little kid to go do stuff in the woods but now since she passed away some time ago we moved into the house.

Anyways I have a serious problem with people trespassing, and I don’t mean just riding around back in the woods which doesn’t really bother me, but people cutting right through my yard, caught some cocksucker today doing donuts in the field behind my house and tearing up my lawn, I find beer cans and shit left all over the place. I’m seriously sick of seeing this and since we plan on expanding some of the fields within a few years to have some bigger gardens and building a house farther back off the road, I want to nip this at the bud before I have these assholes destroying shit I actually care about. All it takes is one of these fuckers riding right through my vegetable garden to destroy an entire season worth of work.

I dont even understand what is wrong with some fucking people, I have ridden my dirtbike around since I was a little kid, occasionally I will end up on land that i’m not sure whose it is, its pretty much impossible not to, but it would never even occur to me to litter on someone elses land, destroy stuff or ride right by someones house and tear up their lawn on the way out.

Pretty much the entire property is surrounded by a chest height stone wall, like 150 years ago it was all fields and used to be a goat farm, in one place a ways back in the woods some people decided to knock down part of the stone wall so they could have access to what is now where I live. This was all some years ago and since I didn’t live here at the time I never cared enough to fix it.

Now last week I went and spent like 3 hours and rebuilt the wall there and covered the trail with a bunch of logs and nailed a little keep out sign I had in my garage onto a tree there. Well that fix didn’t even hardly last 2 weeks because today I went back there to walk my dog and found that someone with what was probably a 4wd 4 wheeler plowed the wall over and they moved all of the logs that were placed to obviously keep them out.

I’m so fucking enraged at this point about how little respect people have for private property that my plan is now to rebuild the wall bigger, get a legit Posted sign and go buy 3 or 4 boxes of short screws and nails and scatter them all in the mud there. What I would really like to do would be to find and cut down a 3’ or so tree and lay it across but I don’t have a tractor or bulldozer so I don’t have any way of moving it once I cut it down. And then even if I do that there is nothing to stop them from knocking the wall down 4 feet over and going around it.

Does anyone have any ideas on stuff I could do here? I really am at a loss of what I can do besides what I said or just sit back there with a shotgun 24/7 and wait for them to come to scare them off. If these are the sort of people that will destroy MY stuff on MY property they are also the sort of people that will steal shit out of my yard, break into my house etc… I need to put an end to this bullshit, the last thing I need is a bunch of stupid drunk rednecks stealing my shit.

Shotgun. works every time.

run strands of barbed wire around where they typically cross into your property, make sure you have plenty of posted signs up so its obvious they know they are trespassing

Posted signs everywhere. Blowing off a few rounds with a shotgun won’t hurt either

If it were me I would go the barbed wire and signs route and possibly buy some of those motion sensative cameras hunters use. Honestly if the dickbags riding on your property knocked your wall down they will probably fuck with whatever you put up next. Any way to put something like a massive hole in the trail before your wall?

if you put trail cameras up make sure to hide them good and make sure they dont use flash (some are IR), im sure if they spot it they’ll rip it down

Moat. Def a moat. And alligators.

Barbed wire and signs I think. Logs with long nails through, slightly buried could work too lol

http://www.foxco-2ndbn-9thmarines.com/vn13%20Small%20Web%20view.jpg

Head on a pike to serve as a warning to others?

Another solution:
[ame=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxBa5bQfTGc”]Real-Life Sentry Gun / Aim Bot / Gun Turret / Turret Sentry (video 8 of 18) - YouTube[/ame]

http://tf2wiki.net/w/images/thumb/e/ee/Engywithsg.png/350px-Engywithsg.png

More psychological option: Build an obvious gun range on your property. Place signage stating that not only is the property posted, but also a shooting range. Use it once or twice.

I decided what I think im going to do, going to rebuild the wall again and I have this heavy duty barbed wire mesh fencing for making chicken coops, its like 4 feet tall and heavy gauge wire. I’m going to nail that between 2 trees and paint it with safety orange stripes on it so you cant say you didn’t see it. Then i’ll put up a couple posted signs around that spot. That should keep out all but the most persistent people, I mean at that point it would take longer to knock all the shit down than just try to find a way around, which ill deal with when/if it happens.

And I do shoot back there a couple times a week, doesn’t seem to be scaring any of them off though. Luckily I don’t really have to worry about people getting accidentally hit with stray rounds. I lucked out and found a spot where I can get about 100 yards in a c shaped ravine, safer to shoot there than most legit ranges.

And as much as I would love to put up real traps I thinks its illegal to set up booby traps. I’m even on the fence about scattering screws but at least those cant physically hurt someone, just fuck up your tires. I mean it would be a hard sell in court to sue me for damages to your 4 wheeler because you rode through my stone wall, knocked down my chicken fence, ignored the posted signs, and aren’t happy that you got a flat tire because you happened to ride over a screw.

I would love to have a talk with all of them but its rare that I see them in person. If I see people around the house I usually really tell them off and tell them to get the fuck out of here. If I run into people in the woods I usually just say hey you know this is private property, which is fine but just keep away from my house and don’t make a mess and usually people are fine with that.

There is another trail off the property which leads into like 700 acres owned by the Albany Land Conservancy, its rare that someone comes through there on a 4 wheeler or something because its like 3 miles back to the road on their trail and they really don’t allow motor vehicles. Occasionally I see someone hiking who presumably came from that way though, always much more pleasant to them, believe it or not I don’t think its the bird watchers/hikers that are ripping up my lawn and leaving beer cans all over.

Id go with regular barbed wire, just like a cow fence setup. Just a run a couple strands.

Get a bunch of shooting targets and shoot the fuck out of them… Then hang those under your posted signs.

take some fishing line and run it between 2 trees where they enter your yard, at least half a dozen times, hang it right at their mid chest level. even if they go through it, it’ll hurt like hell.

or blow some 12ga blanks in their direction when they’re in your yard.

Good idea dummy.

Just ignore skid kid. He’s a retard.

This is a case where someone could literally say “but he means well” and someone could lose their head.

no matter what you do to prevent them from going quading they will still find a way.

i would approach them when they are riding and ask for respect. if they cant respect your area/ no quading zone then pull out the equalizer.

show them in the area out back you dont care if they ride there as long as they respect the land. ie no garbage, ripping down trees, drinking etc.

if they cant follow the rules start poping tires and blasting blanks off.

i wouldnt spend $$$$ on trying to keep them out either. if theres a will theres a way. so you could spend $1000 on a wall then a lil quad knocks it down. just like you said

also you might have to watch out legally. some people might have access to your land. easements