Permatex Headlight Lens Restoration Kit

I picked up the Permatex Headlight Lens Restoration Kit last year because I wanted to see if it would actually work on my Altima’s headlights. I actually lost the kit, but found it today so I figured I’d give it a shot while I’m getting the car ready for winter. The kit was $10 at pepboys.

Basically what you get with the kit is 4 different grades of sandpaper for wetsanding, polish, soft towel, gloves and instuctions lol. I have never wetsanded before, so this was kind of new and exciting (little nervous too). The grits for the sand paper are 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500. Because the headlights weren’t completely destroyed I started with 1500 and worked my way up to 2500. After the wet sanding and polishing was complete, all the yellow had been removed from the headlight, though it was still a little cloudy. I Finished off the headlight with a light compound and buff and the headlights looked awesome. Def a good pick up for someone who has rough headlights. Total time was around an hour to do.

Before:

AFTER

and actually, I think they look better then the pictures show. They look a little cloudy in the pics, but thats cause I had a shakey hand taking pics…and it was dark lol

I have done this before that kit came out, it would have been nice to pick up one kit instead of going store to store for everything needed. The kit looks to be really complete and you did a great job. :tup:

those are great results for 10 bucks and an hour of your time

yeah I was pretty happy…now I just need to fix the two rust spots :frowning:

looks good man!

i used that plast-x by meguires and they didnt turn out half as nice as that.

I used it before…it works great, but expect to do it every 3-6 months.

I’d like to combine that with those headlight films to protect it once it’s buffed.

Might have to pick that up, my 300M’s lamps are getting bad. I tried the Plasti-X stuff and it’s not coarse enough.

Nice job! :tup:

i agree…for $10 and an hour of your time, it was certainly worth it. it came out nice.

mothers aluminum polish works good as well for this

I did this basically on my audi tails that were all cloudy and would not polish out. I tried plastic polish, it did nothing. I bought 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 grits and wetsanded. They came out great. All you need to buy is individual sheets of sandpaper which you can buy at carquest.

:word: correct, but you prob should get polish too :wink:

Rubbing compound followed by Meguires clear plastic polish works great for me

I Need to pick that up. My Subaru’s headlights are way yellow. Meguirs Plastix helped a tiny bit, but not much, and it’s bothering me, and likely killing light output too.

Anyone know if Autozone carries this?

They might…I got mine at pepboys last year

damn, looks good. Might have to try this myself

wonder if it would fix mine haha

we can try…

Tooth paste works also.

I will try it on these and let ya know if toothpaste works or not.
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/716proo/crxmotor494.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/716proo/crxmotor497.jpg

now post up in about 6mos to see if they didn’t glaze over again

serious, i’m going to kick this back up in that amount of time, we gotta see pics

None of the resto methods or what have you have Ever worked for me, long-term.

Hmmm, I might need to try it.

X…