Picked up a 240z

fuck yeah, this is an awesome build.

I just read through it and lost my shit when i saw the 951 widebody.

shit, this makes me want to post up my build progress. Maybe I will… just maybe.

keep up the good work.

unless you think the battery tray is in the way or you feel it is an eye sore then leave it in there. your trey looks like it in good shape unlike most of 240z’s you see out there. what are your plans for steering? are you going to go with power steering of stay with the manual rack?

peace

Manual rack, yeah, I know it’s pretty rare to have the tray in good shape, but it’s also going to be a pain to finish stripping under it and paint. Gonna have to do some minor blasting for sure. Purely aesthetics.

looking good man,
wish i had your skills/shop

Thanks man. Been working on the engine bay every night this week. Have the battery tray deleted, along with all the brackets on the firewall and frame rails. The new floors and crossmember for the KA should be here this week and I might move it back to my garage so my roommate can help me with the welding.

DO IT!

hurry up mike he drift season is coming up and we dont need slackers!

haha

WICKED!

Tell me about it man, Spring Solstice is only 39 days away… I’d be lieing if I said I didnt feel like I was under a deadline.

Anyway, not much in terms of visual progress.

Spent a ton of time drilling out every bracket on the firewall, frame rails, and remaining bits of the engine bay. Ground most of them down flat, removed the battery tray, finish chemically stripping the engine bay, etc. I now need to go back over the engine bay with a wire wheel to get the remaining crap. The rubber steering bushing is being sent out to have an aluminum version made, the old one was quite hard and brittle. Basically need to go back and weld up all the holes and divots from drilling the brackets off, and tack in the crossmember with the engine test fit. That’s my scatterbrained order of things right now. Hopefully I’ll have everything collected to be welded this week and I can get that tacked in with Christian’s help and it can go over to PMP to have the finish work on the welds done.

One photo for today with the engine bay mostly torn down.

http://www.mturck.com/240z/DSCF3240.JPG

http://www.mturck.com/240z/DSCF3255.jpg
Another one of those moments where you just say to yourself… “WHAT THE %#$ing @!*& have I done!”

http://www.mturck.com/240z/DSCF3254.jpg

Working on cutting out floor/rust/stock seat brackets, the very tip of the frame rail, etc, etc. Floors are obviously here, and the crossmember shows up tomorrow for the KA24DE. Hoping to get the passenger’s floor fitted over the next day or so, and tacked in maybe this weekend.

http://www.mturck.com/240z/DSCF3252.jpg
Started working on fitment, need to do a bit of trimming/bending but it’s coming alonge

are you still free to come up here on sunday?

lets touch base before hand

What did you use to strip the engine bay?

Progress is looking awesome. This is going to be a gorgeous/well built car when you’re finished. Can’t wait to see it :smiley:

Some excessively potent chemical stripper, I cannot recall the name of it but remember it being around $25USD per gallon. Let it sit for a few minutes and the paint literally starts bubbling. Not to say there isnt a ton of time into the engine bay, but it certainly made my life easier.

Yeah man, give me a call around lunch tomorrow. I’m about to crash (exhausted).

Well I have a jug of high concentration muriatic acid in the garage, shit melts cement, but that wouldn’t work for non-horizontal surfaces, and is a bit excessive for stripping paint… I noticed the stuff you were using was more of a paste, and it would be easier, I’d imagine than most other options… Perhaps even media/sand blasting…

I’ll find out exactly what it is when I’m at work tomorrow. I picked up at Home Depot and didnt even get asked for a waiver or ID so it cant be THAT harmful :wink:

lol Werd. Lemme know, I plan on cleaning my next engine bay as completely as possible before the motor goes in.

Man this thred is making me very jelous

One day I will have mine

Pete, the stripper is “Kwik Strip” the 15 minute version, “sprayable” Comes in a metal 1 gallon container, fyi.

Thanks for the info. I’ll look into it.

Am I selling it? Am I not? i AM… I’m NOT. Shit, maybe I should sell it, nahhhh I’ll keep it… oops it’s up for sale, wow got lowballed worse that I would accept. So in the end, I decided to keep it. Plus with the Porsche gone off to get paint done, and then headed for new cage work I dont expect to have it around for awhile. So I need something to tinker with. So to my delight I decided to keep it.

http://www.mturck.com/240z/DSCF6184.jpg

In the garage tonight, spent another hour stripping interior stuff. I had removed the rear flares while I transported it home as they were not 100% secured yet. I’ll be working on it tomorrow and most of the weekend so expect new updates soon. :slight_smile:

Good news Mike!! You need to own this car, and it needs you.

Looking forward to the updates, as always with your projects.

Wow, amazing find, such beautiful car, wish my dad had kept his, sold them because I was born…Damn kids ruin everything haha.

Congrats on the KAT! WOOOO! BTW clean KA