Pistool permit..

Where do you go in Niagara County and how long does it normally take?

http://www.niagaracounty.com/clerks/pistolpermit.asp

Took me roughly 6 months. The hardest part was finding proper character references. For NT (as well as Lockport I believe) they require 2 references from the same city, in addition to two from the same county.

Can the references be family?

Otherwise I’m screwed because I don’t know anyone in niagara county.

“record” as in what? felony? what?

how much less could you care?

I don’t believe the references can be family and when they check your record they do it with the FBI so they even see when your parents spanked you when you were 3. basically they see everything you ever did and if you have ever been convicted of a felony I don’t think you can get one.

References cannot be family, and it’s recommended on the form that they’re people who’ve known you for over a certain amount of time. 5+ years IIRC. I’ve been in NT for over 20 years and I had a real hard time with references, mostly because everyone I knew was “dirty” in some way. You definitely want spotless character references - people with recent CC (concealed carry) permits are a good choice as they’re obviously clean. Like TORQDSS said, the background check is very thorough.

If I was arrested but the case never made it to trial… does that count against me? I basically got the standard 6 month probation, meaning if I did something else wrong it would go to trial that tome.

this would be a question for Erie County.

I’m by no means an authority on the subject, I just have the experience of going through all the hoops. However, I will say that I’ve been told that an arrest record comes up as part of the background check. Whether it affects your chances probably depends on the detective, the judge, and what the arrest was for. Erie county is very difficult to begin with, a lot of people are turned down for no good reason. Your best bet is to ask the clerk at your pistol permit office. If they don’t know, ask them what detective handles the application, then ask that detective. Someone somewhere knows the answer, and you shouldn’t have to pay $200 and wait 12 months just to find out.

It is also good if you have the nys security certificate. apply for the pistol permit saying you need it to further your career in security.

So basically I’m screwed. Because the only people I know in Niagara county is my brother and law.

bumppppppp

anyone recently rec’d there permit? Im looking to take the class in 2-3 weeks. Am I still waiting 12 months or longer?

probably longer… been on a few subject specific forums and it’s been ugly in Erie county as of late.

Question: You know how you have to buy a pistol within a certain amount of time of receiving your permit? Would claiming co-ownership of my dad’s pistols count?

I received my official permit and picked up my gun 2/1/10. I submitted the application on 1/3/2009, so 1 year and 1 month. I seriously doubt the times have gotten any better in Erie County since then. I got the approval letter on 11/23, but once you’re still not really there yet. You then go get your “gun coupon”, submit that, and they finally send you the license that allows you to own the firearm. In my case that took from 11/23 until 2/1. And yes, the day I got the letter (11/23) was the same day I bought the gun and got the paperwork mailed back out.

EDIT: Yes Fry, you with a gun owners permission you can put one of their guns on your permit to count as your mandatory gun registration.

Only if you both live in the same county. I tried that with my dad and they wouldn’t accept it, he is in Oneida county.

It took me over a year as well to get mine, but I don’t know the exact dates, pretty close to what Jay posted.

I called recently. There is an 6-8 month waiting period in Erie county right now.

lol… yeah, that’s what they quote. It’s going to be over a year.

Took mine ~3-4 years ago and it took over a year.

NYS BLOWS.

In Texas your driver license and clean record allow you to buy a hand gun same day. I can legally carry concealed in the following states. :slight_smile:

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16336&d=1285021640

I’ve had my class and permit filled out for 3 yrs now. too lazy/busy to go get printed or photos,forget whats next. Had a detective in EC tell me he couldn’t sign it but could help speed a bit. Stupid thing is all my references need to be from Grand Island not just erie county which makes no sense at all.