Pittspeed Fitness & Nutrition thread update:

I hate those fucking things. :slight_smile:

my forearms get enough of a workout thruout the day :wackit: :D:D:D:D

What is a good shoulder workout? I need something different.

For shoulders do overhead pressesā€¦standing and/or sittingā€¦db and/or bb
side raises, front raises, if you have access to some cables sit on an incline bench with your face towards the bench, set the cable low (height), grab handle with palm facing towards you and hand down near you knee across your body, then while keeping arm in a locked position move the weight up back across your body over your head.

That should be fine for shouldersā€¦to try something different why not try some drop sets while doing presses. You can have 2 bars set up one heavy and one light. Just press the heavy one till failure and w/o any rest grab the light bar and press that till failure. You can also do them with one bar, just set up the plates so when you want to drop the weight you can just strip off one plate and make sure to do it as fast as you can to min restā€¦I do these sometimes for benchpresses but strip off the weight 3 times so I do 4 sets.

i recently started doing standing overhead tricep extensions with a curl bar and cant tell if its any better. Has anyone tried these? im thinkin that laying down and doing skull crushers gives better isolation, i feel like im using body movement too much to throw the weight.

laying down skullcrushers with DB>*.tricep workout

A little twist during the movement really makes the entire back of your arm burn.

i do a 1 bodypart a day for training. if you want to get bigger or stronger, that is the way to train. decline skull crushers work the best for triceps.

I wouldnā€™t say ā€œthat is the way to trainā€ applies to everyone. It may work well for you, but my current workout works well for me :slight_smile:

How long does your workout take, like 20 minutes? I am at 30 minutes for my chest/tri days.

I canā€™t do more than 2 sets for a given muscle group in a row, I would be doing incline bench with like 20lbs. :smiley: I need to mix it up in between my sets to give time to rest a little.

I agreeā€¦but to get bigger and stronger it is a MUST include squats, deadlifts, cleans, OH presses, and bench pressesā€¦and most important EAT A LOT (but try to eat clean)

you have to eat a lot to get bigger. and what do you mean 20-30minutes. it takes me at least an hour to do my workouts for one bodypart. im a competitive powerlifter, and trust me, if you want to get bigger or stronger, you only do 1 muscle per day. the most common mistake people make are doing chest/tris and bis/back together. by the time your done benching, or doing back, there is nothing left for your arms. donā€™t get me wrong, if your doing a split, thats cool. but if you want to get big, you have to do 3 things-1-ift heavy2-eateateat 3-rest. your power zone is in the 4-6 rep range, thats for everyone. workout heavy, in the 4-6rep range, 4sets per exercise, 4-6exercises, and you will get big. trust me. i know people in here know a lot more about cars then me, but iā€™ll bet anything no one knows more about lifting/sports nutrtion. if anyone has any questions about how to get what they want(faster, leaner,bigger,defined)just send me a message on here. ill help anyone who needs it.

:cool:

I simply do not have the time to spend 1 hour in the gym a day. I do chest/tri because of time. When I finish with my chest, I do a few tri exercises and they are beat. What is the difference between a dedicated tri day to beat them, or adding it on at the end of another day to beat them? It all seems the same to me. :dunno:

what gym do you work out at?

I have scoliosis and cannot do squats, deadlifts, cleans, or a lot of weight on overhead presses. :frowning:

My back is getting a little stronger, so maybe in a few years I can do these things. But for now, I am just happy that my back doesnā€™t hurt like a motherfucker every day, before I started at the gym, I could barely do anything without back pain.

One thing that I havenā€™t seen mentioned is going to total muscle failure. If you still have energy left over to rack the weight, you havenā€™t gone to muscle failure and are ā€œcheatingā€ yourself. Results are pretty awesome when training to failure for each and every set. Rest is paramountā€¦you might not be able to lift again for 4 days and a spotter is also critical mainly to prevent injury.

Another tidbit is to trick your body. It will quickly adapt to any dietary changes and exercise patterns that you throw at it. For example: you are trying to lose weight and body fat. So you cut 500 calories a day for 7 days and that should equal a pound. After 2-3 weeks your body will adapt to the calorie loss, metabolism will slow and so will the fat loss. Change the diet by eating very clean and light during the week, but on the weekend have a heavy calorie consumption day, say 1000 calories over. Most people wonā€™t know that their diet or exercise plan has stopped working. Changing it up every 2-3 weeks is a safe way to continue having results.

For anyone serious about making progress: Stop drinking alcohol. Alcohol destroys protein synthesis, hinders recovery time, and basically destroys all of your hard work. If you drink and work out, the best you can expect is to maintain whatever level you are at right now.

i said splits are ok if thats the way you train. but if you want to get stronger, or bigger, they are not the way. for example, benching uses over60% of your triceps. so by the end of your chest day, you already trained your triā€™s. thats why you do back the next day, and legs the day after, and then do triā€™s. they will be fresh, and trust me, try it once. youā€™ll see the difference on how much stronger you will be on tri day. and any other day. you donā€™t have to spend an hour a day like me, but if you go 5 days a week, you can still do 1 part per day. its all in what you want. i lift at ballys in the north hills. and the other guy was right about alcohol. it is the ultimate enemy if you weight train. it is one of the worst things for you if you train.

I am somewhat with you on the training till failure. It is a must to train to failure and even to do some HIT to go past failure. But it is not good to do it all the timeā€¦this could result in CNS (Central Nervous System) overtraining and slow your gains. It is good to train to failure but not every w/o. I am with you 100% on the rest of what you postedā€¦but I always go by for most body parts anything under 6 reps is for strength and 7-10 reps is more for size.

Ya I ment if you are ā€œhealthyā€ enought to do so. But you could do lighter sets and take it slow and if in time you can build up to heavier weight then that is the route I would go

I try every now and then to do the big compound exercises, but anything with bending with weight is painful, and not the good pain.

speaking of that, what exercises build the upper back without exerting too much pressure on the lower back(thatā€™s where it is all fucked up)? seated rows hurt with a lot of weight, but I canā€™t get any decent work with my back at low weight.

do some pull ups

I am too weak to do these :smiley:

I never really did pullups, I will have to throw them in the routine somewhere.

:cool:

the most i ever could do is like 3 ā€¦right now i could hang there lthats it

Pullups are awsome for the backā€¦if you are light you may have to hang a weight from your hips. If you have a lat pulldown machine you can do some of theseā€¦some in pulling the bar to your chest and some turned around pulling the bar behind your back

I had no idea about the CNS. Is CNS something that is relatively new? (within 5-8 years)

Most of the routines (that I know of) that go for size and strength usually focus around heavy weight, low reps, protein, lots of rest in between sets (one reason the workout takes so long), and long breaks 5-7 days before you train that bodypart again. When I used to train like this, I almost always went to failure, but it took 6 days before I could train that bodypart again.

As far as back related issue go, I found my own back pain was caused by a combination of injuries, and somewhat over trained abs. The military was real good about only training anterior parts such as chest and abs, with little focus on arms. Legs were almost always overtrained through various calistenics and then running. (and letā€™s not forget muscle failure every other day) Try doing some back bridges over an exercise ball for a few weeks. They are pretty helpful to posture, and in my case helped to remedy lower back pain. The exercise ball is awesome for ab work too.

As far as pullups go, a great exercise to get started is kind of like a reverse pushup. You need a bar that is anchored about waist high that you can hang beneath. You basically grip the bar with a wide grip as if you were in the extended pushup position. Pull yourself up to the bar until your upper arms are parallel with the bar and then slowly lower yourself down to the start position. Do NOT LET YOUR BACK SAG TO THE FLOOR!

Has anyone here ever checked out Matt Fureyā€™s Combat Conditioning videos? There are some pretty insane workouts and exercises in those tapes.