Pittspeed Fitness & Nutrition thread update:

they are best for size. don’t get me wrong, machines can help, but free weights are the way to get big. the big 3 lifts-squat,bench, deadlift, are all free weights.

0gpgt, if you want to lean, do double cardio for a few eeks. do it 1st thing in the morning on an empty stomach, and then as soon as your done lifting.

im not going to do a competition to prove whos a more knowledgable trainer or whos philosophy works “better”. honestly i couldnt care less if people take my advice or yours. i take my time to answer these people because i like to see them set goals and achieve them.

your forgetting the obvious fact THAT EVERYONE IS AN INDIVIDUAL. EVERYONE RESPONDS DIFFERENTLY TO WORKOUTS, NUTRITON AND SUPPLEMENTS. there is not one general workout and nutrition plan that will work for everyone like your trying to tell these people. if they want to accept that and follow your ideaology then thats their choice.

Bodybuilding is a trial and error sports where it takes time to see what works for you, not what what works for everyone else. now what i have been doing works for me so you stick to your philosophy and ill stick to mine.

as for the ISSA, i didnt have a choice of who certified me. my former employer paid for it and i took advantage of that. it wasnt a bad certification but it wasnt as comprehensive as i would have liked. this is the reason i took numerous courses at CCAC and RMU to further my education in this field.

Jimmy

Many of the comments above should be taken with a grain of salt. My thoughts and experience on this are that some people have the “gift” to develop very quickly while others are limited.

In 1996 my friend Chris and I used the exact same diet, took the exact same “cutting edge” supplements, and did the exact same workout. While we both saw results his results were much more dramatic than my own. Why?

There are many supplements on the market that offer dramatic results. All of these products “work” to a degree but the fact remains that the majority of the “average” people will only see “average” results. The average person cannot consume and use 400+ grams of protein. It takes years of training and conditioning of the body to be able to use that much protein.

It is true that times have changed and many popular myths have been dispelled. Supplement technology has come a very long way. Products like Gakic, endothil, protein powders, creatine, and glutamine have definitely improved in quality.

Even diet technology has changed. Ever notice that body builders and weight lifters eat a diet that is very similar to the diabetic diet? The reason? Huge spikes and then drops in insulin levels promote fat storage. For a diabetic keeping insulin levels even and level is paramount to good health. For bodybuilders and weight lifters insuling spikes are paramount to fast absorption of protein, carbs, and other supplements. Timing is everything when it comes to eating and supplement intake.

It all boils down to what works for you. Realistic goals, basic knowledge of what to eat and when to eat it, and how to exercise to achieve your goals should be the foundation for any exercise or fitness program. Don’t be disappointed when plateaus are hit and expect to frequently change some element of both the diet and exercise plans.

This has been a very interesting and informative thread.

very

So how did my gameplan look? I want to keep my rep range in the hypertrophy range so I can maximize size. Some sources say 6-8 reps and others say 8-10. I think for smaller muscles I will keep it in the 8-10 range and larger muscles in the 6-8 range.

your gameplan looked as good as any ive seen. your going to have to determine what rep ranges keep your body growing.

its hard for me to grow in a specific range for specific sets at any exercise. i tend to lean towards drop sets, pyramids and burn outs to grow on my larger exercises. LEG isolation exercises i like to work in a slightly higher rep range( 12-20) than i would for upper body isolation(8-12). although like is said its all about what works for you and keeps you growing.

Jimmy

i strongly agree with you that GENETICS cause individuals to benefit from different diets, routines and supplements. there are no cookie cutter plans when you are beyond a BEGINNER in this sport. the hardest thing about bodybuilding is finding what works for you and what doesnt.

Jimmy

Ya for me I have had great results with dropsets in the past…helped me get past some plateaus. I throw them in everyonce and a while…HIT isnt good all the time.

As for my diet plan…what do you think of that? 1 month bulk, one month cut. I think when it comes to the working out part I know a lot but for diet i could learn some more. For example I lift around 8-9 pm at night and dring a protein shake (60 grams) after my w/o. I read that taking in carbs is good to eat after w w/o to help the building process…so could you recommend what to eat. Some peopel suggest taking in a glass of juice with some dextrose…any thoughts?

genetics have a lot do with it. and your gameplan is almost there. but for getting size, no matter your metabolism, hypertrophy levels, or endurance, it is best to stick in the 4-6 rep range at first. and do only one muscle per day. splits are great, but by the time you hit the 2nd muscle, your already running low on atp, and starting to build up on lactic acid. its just like working on a car, there a lot of ways to it. but that is the best step in gaining mass. you said you were a lean 200 lbs, and 6’1, so im assuming you could put on a few lbs. of fat without anyone noticing. i would cut down your cardio a little also, if you do any at all. no more then 3 days per week for a while. if you start to balloon up, then do it.

taking in the dextrose is to help the creatine absorb faster into your blood. thtas about it. thats why i suggested the cell-tech. its basically their version of kool-aid mixed with creatine. if you have powder creatine, mix it with grape juice. it is the best at helping creatine. and also, mix in some glutamine powder with it.

Now I am taking the ethyl ester creatine…which “should” be absorbed into my system a lot better than reg mono creatine. I read that too about dextrose with mono…but what I read is your body needs carbs along with protein to help rebuild your muscles.

Heres my plan…
Go to the gym 5 days a week. Work different areas each night. Run at least 1 mile on the treadmill, then hit the sauna/steam room to wind down. Afterwards, eat some salad or chicken then go to bed.
For lunch, Subway special, eat 1/2, save 1/2 for next days lunch. Its light on the stomach and wallet.
So far so good. Next step is cutting caffiene and that crap. Taking nothing but multivitamins and maybe that mochatonix stuff soon, both for energy and nutrition.

I take it you are trying to lose some fat and cut up? Maybe a little more detail about what your routine will be would help to see if it is a good plan.

True.

10-15 reps, 3-4 sets
usually:
Monday: bi-s, tri-s, run
Tuesday: shoulders, back, abs, run
Wednesday: chest, abs, run
Thursday: whatever, run
Fri: off
Sat/Sun: legs, run

I would do chest on Mon
legs on Tue
Shoulders/back on wed
arms on thr

and do abs when you have time…if you want a 6pack/ripped abs diet is 90% of what you have to do.

be rad, thats a great plan for cutting up. keep it up. you have all the bases pretty much covered. bics56, you do need some carbs in your system, but not as much as most people consume in a day. sweet potatoes are the best for you. they take the longest to burn off, then brown/wild rice, then oatmeal. you should only have around 3-4 servings per day of carbs. but you should be eating at least 6 meals per day(i count protein shakes a meal), so eat them early in the day, and before you go the gym, and then stop eating the cars at least 2 hours before bed. but you can eat protein before bed, it is actually a great time to do it.

im done being petty about this. so instead of arguing im going to comment and add a few pointers. i think these people will benefit much more with both of us working together instead of against each other.

you need to rememeber a proper warm up before going into a HEAVY 4 x 4-6 exercise. i usually jump rope for about 10 minutes before my workout and then with the first compound movement do a lighter weight for as many reps as i feel i need.

thats a good point. i shoul’ve mentioned that. but i figured he works out, so he would know to warm up 1st.

the dextrose is essentially sugar which causes an insulin spike. the insulin spike causes faster/greater absorbtion of the creatine monohydrate.

if grape juice isnt your thing you can also use apple juice.

this is very interesting to me

Don’t mix creatine with citrus juice. Orange, grapefruit, cranberry, in fact, most fruit juices have been most recently found to neutralize the activity of creatine monohydrate. The reason is the waste product creatinine develops. A lot of you put creatine on your tongue and drink it down with grapefruit juice. If you have taken creatine this way in the past, stop it now! You are not getting creatine, you’re getting waste product.

Do mix creatine monohydrate with warm water–in a glass. This is the only way to ensure you’re getting the full benefits of creatine in its dry form. Creatine does not have to dissolve to be effective.

take that into consideration.