Pittspeed Fitness & Nutrition thread update:

i like splits cuz a full body routine would just wear me down way too much… time i get to the last exercise i may not beable to do it.

splits allows me to hit parts hard and fast…dont spend a whole lot of time in the gym as long as i dont have to wait for weights and equipment.

You can definitely fit this into a 10 day schedule:

Day 1: Full body workout
Day 2: Off
Day 3: Off
Day 4: Full body workout
Day 5: Off
Day 6: Off
Day 7: Full body workout
Day 8: Off
Day 9: Off
Day 10: Full body workout.

Look at it this way: In 10 days of your splits you work/emphasize everything twice, but work some things body parts 3 days in a row. In 10 days of full body, you work everything 4 times and on the off days you only have to worry about your diet.

I will dig up the routine. :slight_smile:

You shouldnt do the same body part every day because I learned my lesson on that one. My triceps arent that big so I was doing them every day to get them big and ended up hurting myself because I wasnt resting them. Take atleast a day off per body part.

Well in the past two- almost 3 weeks now i have changed up my routine to basically all DB’s and some machine esp with chest and i have seen better results then using the BB for chest and arms. Regardless i had to move down weight with the DB’s but i have seen better improvement as well as structure form it instead of just mass. So it looks like i am hitting up 3 sets of 10-12 for the time being till i get more cut and then try to put on more weight. As of right now i am gaining mass by 10-12’s as well as definition. Weight might not be as much as BB’S or machines but it sure does a better job for hitting my muscles!

Switching to DB’s every once and a while is good to do. I am actually doing it now as well for Bench press. As for the rep range, high reps do not mean you will be more cut. If you want a cut look it is pretty much 100% diet and losing body fat. Working in the 10-12 rep range is good for adding size…you may want to read up on hypertrophy weight training…this is a big component of it.

As for going lighter…it really doesn’t matter…you are using more stabilizer muscles when you are using DB’s. At first they are a little harder than they should, but when you get used to the motion and your stabilizer muscles strengthen you will get better.

The higher rep range is frequently associated with getting cut.

At some point higher rep ranges become aerobic:

Aerobic Activity

Aerobic means in the presence of oxygen… and any activity that is performed at a low to moderate intensity for more than 90 seconds, allowing oxygen to release energy through metabolism, is usually called an aerobic activity.

The benefits of aerobic activity are…

Increased Cardiovascular Function Decrease in Body Fat

The negatives of aerobic activity are…

Decreased Muscle Mass
Decreased Strength
Decreased Power
Decreased Speed
Decreased Anaerobic Capacity

Most people in favor of aerobics in the Aerobic vs Anaerobic Controversy rely heavily on the ability of aerobic activity to reduce body fat… but fail to mention that you are also losing muscle, strength, power, speed and anaerobic capacity along with fat reduction.

Typically weight lifting is considered Anaerobic:

Anaerobic Activity

Anaerobic means in the absence of oxygen… and any activity that is performed at a medium to high intensity for less than 2 minutes, where energy is derived without oxygen, is usually called an anaerobic activity.

There are two anaerobic energy pathways…

The Anaerobic System (ATP-CP) is where energy is derived from the re-synthesis of Adenosine Tri-Phosphate (ATP) from Creatine/Phosphate (CP) until the stores are depleted… about 5-7 seconds.

The Anaerobic Lactate System (Glycolytic) happens after the (CP) stores have been depleted where the body resorts to the breakdown of glucose for energy.

This results in the production of lactate and hydrogen ions… ultimately leading to fatigue.

The benefits of anaerobic activity are…

Increased Cardiovascular Function
Decrease in Body Fat
Increased Muscle Mass
Improved Strength
Improved Power
Improved Speed
Increased Aerobic Capacity

The negatives of anaerobic activity are…

Anaerobic activity requires an aerobic foundation

More info can be obtained by googling “Anaerobic vs Aerobic” and at this page:Energy Pathways

Enjoy.

Yes it is…but in reality it is a huge misconception…it has been proven this is a myth. Getting cut is a function of dropping body fat…which is mostly diet. You can burn more calories doing cardio but as you posted you will lose muscle doing this…that is where HIIT training comes in. A very basic example of HIIT is to sprint for 20 seconds and walk for 30-40 seconds and repeat 8-12 times…will target fat directly and not muscle. Here is a little writeup I found on the myth of high reps = getting cut…there is a ton of info on this subject.

Myth #5: Doing high reps with lower weight will give definition, and low reps with heavy weight will bulk you up.

The fact is whether you do high reps low weight or low reps heavy weight, your muscles will get toned. Heavy weight low reps will not necessarily bulk you up, and low weight high reps will definitely not get you cut (give you definition). A matter of fact, getting cut and being able to see definition has nothing to do with how you perform your lifts or how much weight you are using; it has to do with how much fat you have covering your muscles. Losing fat is the only way to get definition and cut. Most women do not have to worry about bulking up because no matter what they do, they do not have the quantities of hormones needed. Have you noticed how power lifters are smaller than most bodybuilders, and yet are much stronger? Power lifters work mostly with heavy weights low reps and although they do gain muscle, they don’t gain as much as bodybuilders.

For more information on this subject read the section in my book “Live Your Way Thin,” on weight training.

Here is the link where there are a bunch of other myths

http://www.stavrosm.com/The7BiggestMythsoftheWeightLossIndustry.html

if you do more than 6 reps on anything, get out of the gym and just do bodyweight exercises like pushups and pullups.

I can’t stand low weight/high reps, it really do absolutely nothing(for me anyway).

I think you are putting a bit of a narrow rep range for what is useful. I know different muscle groups tend to respond better to different rep ranges and 6 is a bit low. I like 5-12 range myself depending on what I am doing and how intense I want to go. Also try 20 rep squats sometime…put on a weight you know you can get a solid 12 times and keep going until you get to 20 reps pausing at the top…this has been proven to be one of the best techniques to add size to your legs. Also going heavy all the time isn’t the best thing to do, there are times you need to change it up and run a light cycle for like 3 weeks or so to keep progressing.

But I do think people who put a light weight on the bar and rep for like 15-20 reps while not really straining themselves are for the most part wasting time (depending on their situation of course)

Rep ranges are mostly personal preference, but there have been many studies done on the ultimate rep range. 10-12 has long been considered the standard by many in the business. Others prefer 8-10. Some prefer 8-10 for upper body and 12-15 for lower body.

I mix it up frequently. For HIT routines I use 8-10 reps. For lightweight circuits I use a 12-15 rep range and heavy circuit routines I use 6-8.

Eventually your muscles will adapt to routine, rep range, and weight, so it is best to change it frequently. Some of the latest info suggests that the longer you work at a plateau after you hit the plateau, the longer it will take to bust the plateau.

For lightweight circuits I use a 12-15 rep range and heavy circuit routines I use 6-8.

thats what i do… i just started to frequently change up. i gotta sit down and reorganize the workout again now… i cycled a light/high rep to a heavy range, then a HIT and now not sure what to do. probly gonna try light again. No failure unless its a HIT

Here is about the best site I have come across for weight training…somewhat basic but there is almost everythinng you need to know on here. If you want to learn about every exercise it is great.

http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

Exercises

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Here is a link for a one rep calculator…seems pretty much accurate for the most part

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

Here is a link to tell where you stand for some of the big lifts

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm

well i got sick this past friday and on monday the doctor said i may have mono. it sucks big time but not sure if i really have it yet or not. i feel great now, just still have a mild sore throat :slight_smile:

Hopefully it is not Mono…that would suck…but if you take a week off no big deal…I like to take a full week off from time to time. If you feel OK to train I would just take it easy tho…till you are 100% again.

i was gonna head over to lift today…but i got stuck workin tonight as well as this afternoon so i cant now.

i dont plan to go crazy…just sustain… i can tell i’m losing mass. i’ve not been able to lift for about a week as it is. its driving me mad, and i’m gettin pissed about it. its a damn addiction

I feel ya…if I take off for more than 3-4 day I go nuts.

there is a really nasty virus going around that lasts 4-5 weeks. Took me out for a month. I kept up with the diet though.

I’ve done just a few workouts in the last week and a half.

I have not been in the gym since the middle of April.

It started with me partially tearing a hamstring while squatting or Leg pressing. I’m not really sure which though. I was instructed to stay off of it for at least a week and then I could go back to walking/jogging as i felt better. Well I decided to just take the following week after that off just to rest my body and what not.

I went last tuesday for some cardio and a full body workout which went well. It felt good and I had not problems with joints and connecting tissue. I havent been back since then.

I have lost about 15 pounds this past month which I thought would bother me but I feel much better being this weight. It was not all muscle loss either because Im gaining definition too! I can see that most of my mass was lost in my legs and shoulders :frowning:

However Im feeling good being lighter. Im changing my goals and trying to shed more fat and muscle over this summer. I forgot the feeling of being lighter than 190 pounds :slight_smile:

Jimmy

Great articles guys, i will check some of em out. I have started a kinda new routine as in 10-13 rep range n 2 or so exercises for each body part, i have moved down in wieght for alot of shit since i started out with the 10-8-6 routine and i have lost mass as well. But the nagain i have cut back on the protein lately and get half as much as i should for the day. Now with work i get to the gym and i am tired but i [push it through still. So i kinda see results here and there for dif body parts but i lost mass in my bi’s for sure since this routine. Still the same weight if not a touch more though…