Pittspeed Fitness & Nutrition thread update:

I wish I could throw out some advise but I kind of have 2 conflicting views…and I am far from a doctor. I first think you should try to stay with exercises where your back is supported so you can reduce your chance of injury. Then I start thinking maybe you need to strengthen you back to help you out in the long run. I kinda think if you do decide to try exercises to try to strengthen your back then I would take it slow at first and see how your body responds, then you can try to build from there.

As for dropping 45 lbs…that is almost all diet. I would take a look at what you actually eat and look at areas where you can clean up your diet…eat healthier while reducing you calories. Keep in mind generally it is good to stay away from processed foods and try to keep it to wholesome healthy foods. When I diet down I like to cut some of my carbs down but not all…carbs are essential to staying healthy. I mostly try to cut out the white starches for the most part and replace them with lots of veggies. Try to eat 5-6 times a day but eat in moderation, so overall you will be consuming the same # of calories (but reduced to what you normally take in) but spread out through out the day…this will help with your metabolism. If you clean up your diet and take it seriously while trying to find ways you can stay active I think the pounds will drop off real quick. I would say a healthy rate to lose weight is roughly 2 lbs/week. That way you know you are not losing too much muscle mass. Hope this helps and good luck

thanks bics56

So how is everyone doing with their goals?

I am doing pretty well…a little while ago I got up to 225 and now am a more “trim” 215. Strengthwise I am pretty much as strong as I have ever been. Still not where I want to be…but is anyone???

With winter rightaround the corner I might start focusing on trying to gain more size…but don’t want to gain too much fat…it is actually pretty hard to do. It is way to easy to eat non quality calories when you are trying to bulk.

im getting up there in my reps of 12oz curls. pretty soon im going to make the move to 16oz curls and finally to my main goal of 40ox curls. feels good to see improvement…

I weigh 185lbs!

beeeeen a LONG while since i been in here and i must say i had no reason to post

over the summer with softball and hockey taking up alot of my time, i still was able to lift and didnt gain…i actually got weaker…alot weaker

graduated school in may and was the strongest i ever been. benching 245 for 5, 6 with a slight spot. weighed about 160-162.

started dropping, 225 for 5-6 then down to 205 for 6-7… changed up my lifting didnt really help. i just couldnt stop the downfall and didnt know why it was happening. weighed in at around 152.

got off bench for a few weeks and did dumbell bench. started with 80’s and moved up rapidly, lifting 1 time a week and then about 1 time every 4-5 days.

now i can do 95’s for 6, and benching 225 for 5-6 again. weigh about 155-158 depending if i ate or not lol. i got a long ways to go to get back to where i was now that sports are over and i can calm down. i dont know why my bench always suffers every summer, while everythign else isnt effected that much.

That all mostly sounds like diet…doing more and eating the same or less can make a big difference. I would try to up your calories about 500 calories or so and see how that works for 2-3 weeks. I always made my best gains while eating clean and a lot.

glad to see people are doing good with their workouts. remember, it is all about protein intake 1st, then form 2nd, and weight used 3rd. i read an article from scott mendelson about that.(he weighs around 280, benches over 750 raw, 1000 with a shirt, and has a 6 pack). he showed how his weight increased with the crazy amount of protein he ingested. and im sure the balco vitamins didn’t hurt either. but when he ate trilpe his weight in protein grams, his strenght went up over 10%. there are many articles that show the importance of overloading on protein. but dont do it for too long, it is hell on the kidneys. about 2 weeks tops is the max before you damage your kidneys.

<<<just got back from the gym today and am getting ready for a drug free national in december in NY. i just got 575 for 4 reps in deadlifts, which might seem high to most, but is really not that good for my weight class. i need to be at or around 650+ to be competitive in the nationals for deadlifts. if i get to 600x4 by november, i might have a chance.

Thats some pretty good pulling. My DL is pretty pathetic…I never really trained them till about 10-12 months ago…I usually rep 315 for 10…but my grip gives out on 8 reps and I re-grip for the last 2 reps.

thats interesting…cycling protein intake

i read that the body can only process 30-40 grams of protein every 2-2.5 hrs. If you ingest more than that during one sitting, its wasted protein. therefore your suppose to split up protein intake/meals to multiple servings at a certain hourly interval. instead of 3 meals a day, make it 6 smaller and spread them out. that way your getting more protein intake and being able to process it all.

But cycling protein overload for a short amount of time sounds like interesting idea. i need to up my intake. its that time of year again that i start putting on weight and getting stronger. it does this every damn year. summer time i drop weight and power and i start growing again in the fall and winter. I dont change a thing and know i’m suppose to eat more in the summer but i havent been able to. I dont change a thing and my body is growing…go figure

I overheated my treadmill and the belt folded in half. oh well, treadmill shopping saturday

What about substances that enhance protein absorption like hydroxylamines?

damn, that sucks 2 ways…1-it happened. 2-before my job in philly, i managed a healthclub in greentree. we remodeled and sold all the old equipment. if it would have happened 2 years sooner, you could have had a industrial grade treadmill for a oot cheaper then one from a store.

That is true and false. It was proven that we can only process so much protein, but also false because once you start to sbsorb more protein, your body will build up how much it can process. most bodybuilders/meatheads(like me), powerlifters can do 50 or more.

Edit…did some DL’s lastnight…repped 315 for a very easy 10 rep w/o regripping. Cool to see progress.

awesome. keep it up. 315x10 with no straps is a good set of deads. you should be able to pull 425 or so for 2.

That was a very easy 10 reps…I think I had a solid 12-13 reps if I would have re-gripped. I think I can pull about 420-430 or so for one rep…and compared to where I should be that isn’t too great…but lifting over 400 lbs is pretty good I guess. I used to be your typical rookie or whatever you want to call it…I would train upper body all the time and legs like once every 6 weeks…pretty sad. The past year or so I put together a solid routine where I train everything while using mostly compound movements. My legs and lower back(dl’s) have gotten a lot stronger, but compared to my chest and back they are still lagging a bit. But that is the part of the fun/frustration of weightlifting…learning what to do and what not to do…what works for you and what doesn’t.

:bluez28:

no lie.