Pittspeed Fitness & Nutrition thread update:

Think of it this way. You can build muscle and lose fat. It is hard to do both at the same time but it can be done. As for “tone” muscle. that is mostly a function of losing body fat. If you increase muscle as well you can “tone” muscle. Bottom line it Diet is key…eat clean and a lot of protein…stay away from white carbs and you should be fine. After eating like this you can get idea how much you need to take in to either lose fat or gain muscle. Creatine is fine to take…but don’t expect anything that noticeable.

People shouldn’t bee too concerned with supplements until their diet is in check. Yor diet will make the #1 difference in your body, combines with a solid lifting plan of course. Once your diet is in check then I would worry about supplements.

Good info guys, I’ll keep that stuff in mind. Thanks

what he said…diet is the biggest part, then your exercise scedule/intensity, etc…then supplements

06se-r
do you have any rehab exercises to help a very sore and painful shoulder?
when i do the flat and incline bench, it has a very bad pinch when the bar is about 3 inches off my chest coming down on flat and at lock out incline. I had shoulder surgery when i was 18 for osteo-arthritus in my left shoulder, now my right is doing the exact same thing as the other but i do not want surgery! since you are a powerlifter, i am looking for possibly an alternative to the surgery. I trained very hard and heavy in the past for powerlifting and strongman but due to a bad back injury and shoulder i cant be competitive in the big 3 so, now i try to lift heavy but just like a heavy 3 rep.
thanks for the help

yeah, i had many shoulder injuries…

1-train heavy chest/shoulders/ sme day, this will eliminate the wear of using your shoulder twice a week…

2-when doing any shoulder press, never break parallel…

as for exercises, you can do rotator cuff exercises on a cable crossover machine, it works great. keep ypur elbow locked at 90%, and rotate it from your hrad yo your hips… its kinda hard to explain,if you want, i xan show you

thats good thinking to put chest/shoulders on the same day. i tweaked my right rotator cuff and it took forever to get back to normal.

i’m easing into a vegan diet, and i’m losing fat and gaining muscle more rapidly than I ever have.

I would be interested in how hard it would be to gain muscle with a Vegan diet. I would think it would be a little more challenging considering you can’t use meat for a protein source. Good luck with it…but I love my steak :yum:

if you go vegan, make sure to get a good multi and flax seed oil

my mom bought some oat flax seed ceral once, i was on the shitter for two days.

please tell me you’re not doing it for ethical reasons.

i need help, i finally quit smoking for good about a month ago, and now i just continue to gain, i have always been hefty but this is getting out of hand, i dont feel like i am eating anymore than i used to, getting the same amount of very little exercise, but i have put on 9 pounds in the past month up from 216 to 225, i need diet tips

its easy…eat healthy, exercise…thats it

I’ve read through this thread, and I see it over and over again. Everyone seems to post that they are wanting to gain or lose weight. I am a fan of gaining. I have been lifting heavy since high school, and now I am in my second year of the Army. I am infantry, where heavy lifting is required, but so is running 8+ miles @ a 6.5min pace consistently. My advice is simple. If you are like me, you sit at 195-205 and don’t really flex out of that range. My bench sits at 240, and it hasnt changed in about a year. You will plateau without complete 100% dedication. You will reach your body’s peak, and you will will find that you cannot break free of the same old basic routine youve held forever. I spent 9 months in Iraq lifting daily for 2-3 hours before my knee gave out. Change up your routine. For two months do the same exercises weekly (or however your routine recycles) and then switch it up. If youre trying to gain lean muscle, and you can honestly say that youre gonna do it and stick to it, EAT and EAT good. Don’t think that if you eat a solid Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner that you will gain like you would if you ate 5-6 times a day. Your body needs nurishment throught the day. Granted this does NOT mean hit up the new Sonic in Washinton 4x a day. Snack on protein bars or Granola all day (Kashi cereal is a great boost, and its healthy as hell). Always keep some in your desk or pocket. Even if you dont feel that you need to eat, EAT. Your body will thank you. Now all of this is from MY experience, and dont take it to heart that its truth, but it has worked for me. I recently began a new routine, and I am a testament that change, and a proper diet is a GREAT combination. I have a great workout for all of you wanting to lose fat and gain muscle. Its a high-speed workout from one of the fastest/strongest men I have met in the 2 & 1/2 years of the Army. He is a fellow Ranger, and he has won the Best Ranger competition. PM me if you want, or if alot of you want it I will just post it here.

Again, the best thing you can do for you body is listen to it. If its telling you that youre plateau’ing, you probably are. If its telling you to step it up, step it up, and if you have read this whole thread and not gotten your ass up and gone to the gym, or started doing pushups on your floor, F*CKING DO IT!

Oh and sidenote = MOTIVATION is MUSIC. Get and MP3 player, load up some music that motivates (Hatebreed works for me), and go hit the gym. Tell me you don’t do better

^^^ Very good post…spot on 100%. Maybe post up that routine I would like to see it. Or PM it to me.

Alright this is the workout. Its called the Diesel Pump. At least thats what we have called it since me and my buddy started it.

There are two parts to every muscle grouping. I do one muscle group a day. If you do it correctly, and really bust your ass, you will walk out of the gym feeling like youve been in it for 2-3 hours, and it takes no more than 45 minutes to finish.

For example of how to do these sets, lets take chest for example:

Tri- Set - You will do this 3 times
Giant Set - You will do this 2 times

The parts in () are my side notes

For the first set. You will do the exercises listed in the Tri-Set in succession. With as little pause in between as possible. The easiest way to do this is to set yourself up with everything you need to complete the set in one spot of the gym, moving benches and getting proper dumbbells or weights.
For Example, For the Chest Tri-Set, you will need A Flat Bench, preferrable one that can incline and decline. You will also need your appropriate weight for flye’s, proper weight on your bar, as well as the proper dumbbells for incline press. You will find that doing these all in a row with no pause will cause your body to tire quickly, so definatly start with less weight than you think. IE: I normally can bench 240+ and I use 180 for this workout on flat bench press.

CHEST

Tri-Set
Flat Bench Dumbell Flye - 12-15 Reps (after done, move directly to the next exercise, do not pass go, do not break, go right into it.)
Barbell Flat Bench Press 8-10 Reps (Really press yourself, but remember, youre doing this three times all together, dont go too big or you wont be able to finish all 3)
Incline Dumbell Press - 10-12 Reps (really push yourself, because when youre done, this completes 1 out of your 3 sets. )

Break for 3-4 minutes, and do it two more times!

Now the giant set, If you’re looking to tone, this is a great place to do that for every muscle group. You can do all 10 reps if you’d like, but because I go for mass, I usually do 8 with a little heavier weight

Now again, you will gather all of the things you need to do all of the exercises and set it up in your own little notch of the gym. You will need the bench that can incline/decline, as well as dumbbells for flat press, decline press, and incline flye. You wont need anything for pushups (but i guarentee you if you can do 8-10 pushups after this workout on your last set, you havent worked hard enough (i MAYBE get 3-4, and the spotter has to help me with the last ones) Because you will do this twice, and with little Reps, you will be able to do a bit heavier weight HOWEVER, remember that you are already smoked out from doing the Tri- Set, so you wont be able to do your normal weight.

Giant Set
Flat Bench Dumbbell Press - 8-10 Reps (Get great extension, lock elbows at top, and remember to BREATHE throughout these sets)
Decline Dumbbell Press - 8-10 Reps (Make sure to keep the dumbells going perfectly vertical from your nippples, even though you are at a decline, you still want the weights going perfectly vertical.)
Incline Dumbbell Flye - 8-10 Reps (A very good workout to strech all of the muscles that you have been working out. You will want to do light weight with this, and take your time, getting a good strech and making sure you use your chest to bring in the weights, not your arms)
Pushups - 8-10 Reps (If you can do all of these, work harder the next set, you want to really push yourself, as you will almost get a cardio exercise with your lifting, and it works out for a great pump.

You will do this set 2x, but when you are done, thats it for the muscle group, so work HARD at it, dont give up, and make sure you have a good spotter, you will see better results if you can complete all of the reps.

And that concludes my workout. It is really an amazing tool, and I have found that if you just copy and paste this into microsoft word, and you cut out the individual muscle groups, stick them in your glovebox, and take in whichever one you need that day, that it works really great. Just like lifting to music, you will work harder if you have a specific workout routine and you stick to it. Almost like guidance, you will waste less time walking around toget drinks, and you will get more out of your time at the gym. Also, drink alot of water As you work out, usually a 32oz gatorade bottle an hour is a good guide.

And now ladies and gentlemen, the complete workout::: ENJOY and if you have any ?'s go ahead and PM me or email me or something, hell when im up home next time (next couple weekends sometime), ill even meet up with some of you at the gym and run you through it. Just let me know if yall need anything, im always here to help

DIESEL PUMP

CHEST

Tri-Set
Flat Bench Dumbell Flye - 12-15 Reps
Barbell Flat Bench Press 8-10 Reps
Incline Dumbell Press - 10-12 Reps

Giant Set
Flat Bench Dumbbell Press - 8-10 Reps
Decline Dumbbell Press - 8-10 Reps
Incline Dumbbell Flye - 8-10 Reps
Pushups - 8-10 Reps

LEGS

Tri - Set
Front Squat - 8-10 Reps
Calf Raises - 12-15 Reps
Leg Press - 10-12 Reps

Giant Set
Barbell Squat - 8-10 Reps
Leg Press - 8 -10 Reps
Barbell Deadlifts - 8-10 Reps
Dumbbell Lunge - 8-10 Reps

SHOULDERS

Tri-Set
Dumbbell Lateral Raise - 12-15 Reps
Miltary Press - 8-10 Reps
Lateral Raise - 10-12 Reps

Giant Set
Dumbbell Shoulder Press - 8-10 Reps
Dumbbell Shrug - 8-10 Reps
Upright Row 8-10 Reps
Reverse Pec- Decs - 8-10

BACK

Tri-Set
Straight-Arm Cable Pulldown - 12-15 Reps
Dumbbell Rows - 8-10 Reps
Wide-Grip Lateral Pulldown - 10-12 Reps

Giant Set
Chin-Up - 8-10 Reps
Low Pulley Row- 8-10 Reps
Barbell Bent-Over Row - 8-10 Reps
T-Bar Row - 8-10 Reps

TRICEPS

Tri-Set
Straight- Arm Cable Press-Down - 12-15 Reps
Overhead Extension - 8-10 Reps
Skull Crushers - 10-12 Reps

Giant Set
Close-Grip Bench Press- 8-10 Reps
Cable Rope Press down - 8-10 Reps
Dumbbell Kickback - 8-10 Reps
Bench Dips - 8-10 Reps

BICEPS

Tri-Set
Standing Single-Arm Cable Curl - 12-15 Reps
Barbell Curl - 8-10 Reps
Preacher Curl - 10-12 Reps

Giant Set
Incline Dumbbell Curl - 8-10 Reps
EZ- Bar Curl - 8-10 Reps
Dumbbell Hammer Curl - 8 - 10 Reps
Dumbbell Concentration Curl - 8 -10 Reps

I heard of that before and talked to a guy who was doing it at my gym. Seems like a good tool to break out of rut. The only thing i see that I would really change is to add more hams in for the leg days…more verticle movements for back, and drop the tri kickbacks and replace with dips.

heh, ive lost about 17lbs since Marge started her diet. I ahvent really been dieting, but just not eating when I am bored all the time. That and I cant STAND any of the healthy shit she brings into the house.

Soon as I get back onto day shift I am going start hitting the gym up on a regular basis.

if you’re just looking to not be a lazy fat bastard, like i was… just start pounding water… fat kids like us have shitty metabolisms and the best thing for that is water… i drink about 160oz of water on days i work out and about 120oz on days i dont… that alone will blow off some weight without any exercise.

yep, water works wonders for the body, and does even better for the kidneys