Pittspeed Fitness & Nutrition thread update:

Yeah should have just went for 300 instead of 295. If you are repping 225 for an easy 10 reps then 300 should be easy. Who knows maybe by next workout you may be able to put 3 plate on each side.

Either way really good lift for only being 160…must be a short fucker…j/k

5’9" or so :slight_smile: not tall but not super short

Yeah short but not super short. Good height for benching , squatting and other exercises. Not so good for dead lifting. What gym do you go to?

I’m in delmont. I got to center ice fitness / fitness 365. I"m not sure what the proper name is, i just call it center ice as it used to be that name. Its a small gym next to the ice rinks. Very popular rink for hockey in this area. It sees a crowd

gym is 24 hours, 365 days a year. Not bad

300lb. bench is prett good for your weight, get it up to about 350 or so and you can compete in powerlifting

haha i’m not gonna try to compete. I do this for fun and personal satisfaction.

350 is a FAR cry away. Took me long enough to get where i’m at. i dont know if i’ll ever get to that level. I simply do not eat enough and not sure how i can improve. Cant eat when i’m not hongry and at work I just dont have the available food sources. I gotta work on that tho

Sounds like you know what you gotta do. Just have to find out a way to do it. For me it isn’t too hard to get extra calories. I work in an office and I can just bring food…now other jobs it can be more challenging.

For me getting stronger is “cool”, but when I really look at my goals it is not too important. Overall I want to be healthy and get bigger, and I take strength as a bi-product of that. Don’t get me wrong I like it when you are adding weight to the bar, it sort of reassures you the hard work is paying off…but overall I want to be healthy and put on some muscle.

x2

I don’t have a weight set for a goal. I just want to look a certain way and be able to ride dirtbikes, mountain bikes, and play with my kids without getting hurt or being to tired.

I feel out of place at the gym only benching the weight I do now. I only do dumbell bench and use 90lbs. People half the size of me are doing more than that. :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t say 90 lbs DB bench press is too bad. I actually think it is somewhat repectable for a “normal” guy. You go to Complete Fitness right?

I am now at globo gym AKA LA Fitness :smiley:

I can do a few sets of 90 lb dumbells but can only do 215 2 times on normal bench. :confused:

I was a lot stronger a couple years ago, I don’t know how I lost it.

I can do a few sets of 90 lb dumbells but can only do 215 2 times on normal bench

funny how that works. i"ve had similar problems before. For a couple months a year or two ago, my bench was good but my DB bench wasnt that good. Then i was doing good DB weight, but my flat bench wasnt improving… I’m finally at the point both are going up

But DB’s are always harder to do. I can rep out 100 for 7 but on flat i can probly do 235 for 7. Its harder to stabilize individual arms.

For me getting stronger is “cool”, but when I really look at my goals it is not too important. Overall I want to be healthy and get bigger, and I take strength as a bi-product of that. Don’t get me wrong I like it when you are adding weight to the bar, it sort of reassures you the hard work is paying off…but overall I want to be healthy and put on some muscle

For me I do like to be healthy and such, but i dont do that much cardio during winter, only summer months with sports. Winter is for bulking and jan/feb is my strongest time of year :slight_smile:
But i lift not only to get that muscle look and be somewhat healthy, i lift for strength/power. I push hard and when i’m not gaining, which does happen alot for me since i find it hard to gain power since i’m not adding weight to the body :), i get all pissed and frustrated. I’ve always been a smaller kid, and that kinda bothered me. Now 160lbs or so, but i’m not very happy with that. I really wanted to be more like 180-190 but i dont think that will happen.

Are there any good websites that talk about nutrition? I know my diet is bad, but i really don’t know how much or what to eat.

I usually do not have breakfast and when I do, it’s a pop tart or something like that. I usually have a pb&j and some cookies or fruit rollups for lunch. Dinner is usually a good meal. I go to the gym at night and when I get home I usually have another dinner sized meal at around 10-11 before bed.

I have a good workout going and want to get my diet in check.

ps. this is the best thread on pittspeed :smiley:

I am by no means a diet pro, but something that one of my inlaws mentioned a couple weeks ago was an old saying like: “At breakfast eat like a king, at lunch eat like a commoner and at dinner eat like a pauper”. Essentially, if you load your calories into your morning/early meals, you have all day and your workout at night to burn them off. I try to have some cheerios or oatmeal for breakfast with some fruit. Then before lunch I have a snack like cheese and crackers. For lunch I have a salad w/ a little dressing, or a wrap, or a sandwich (usually lunchmeat or tuna). Then I don’t eat much until dinner and I just like to have some grilled chicken or fish with rice and a veggie. If I am going to the gym I try to eat earlier for dinner so that I can digest before the gym. Also, I have heard you aren’t supposed to eat within 2 or 3 hours of going to sleep. You may want to consider pushing your calories towards breakfast and lunch and then having a normal sized dinner before your workout and then skip the second dinner before bed. Try just doing a protein shake or a piece of fruit if you need to eat something. It will take a few weeks (you’ll probably be hungry at night) but you will get used to it.

I got a liquid meal mix for breakfast and late night before sleep. 2 scoops and 25 ounce of water is 1200 calories, 55 gram protein. It really helps get alot of stuff in you really quick. taste is good too.

actually eating lean protein before bed will help burn bodyfat.

dude, thats a lot of calories in a shake, way too ,many for a protein drink. a good meal replacement shake only has about 400 or so

its ment to be a weight gainer. I usually only take 1 scoop for 600 calories.

Are those GNC Vitapacks any good?

I’ve got a question for fat loss. I’ve always been able to run as much as I want (while I was trying to stay in shape that is) but now I am not able to run on the ground for extended periods of time. I have compartment syndrome which prohibits me from abusing my shins too much…

Being overweight and trying to run with these shins is 10x worse than I ever remember while I was in shape…so the question is, if I run 1 mile (10 min) is this even doing any good for weight loss or should I just stick to 45 min workouts on the eliptical??

EDIT: The running on the street was never going to replace the other workouts at the gym…I’m just wondering if the supplemental workouts (street runs) are worth the pain.

Cardio is one of the best weight loss activities- why don’t you run on a more forgiving surface, such as grass.