Police Plane Catches Speeders From The Skies

http://mfile.akamai.com/8186/wmv/vod.ibsys.com/2004/0525/3346089.200k.asx

bastards !

how about the camo cops?

If they arn’t using radar from the sky with a video camera I bet that is easy to fight in court. If all they are doing is using a stop watch and time table between two lines, there is too much room for error. What happends if the guy hits the stop watch too soon or too late, what if he can;t see the line clear enough or at a certian angle.

only way I could see it sticking is if they got a tropper set up down the road nailed you with a gun, and had it recorded then it woudl probably stick. even then you can demand to see the last time the Radar gun was calibrated and if its not in what ever the specified time was it can be dismissed also…

This is another one I don’t understand. As per PA law ANY law enforcement vehilce timing cars must be visable and have their parking lights on. They days of sitting behind a billboard have come and gone. The therory behind the law from what I understand is if they can’t see you clearly how can they prove they got an accurate reading/timing/even your vehicle.

:dunno:

PS- I don;t have the code number handy but when I can get soem time I can look it up if anyone really cares

i got caught by the plane/helicopter in South Carolina coming back from NOPI a few years ago…sucks!!..85 in a 70…i was just glad they didn’t catch me about 10-20 mins before that…cause i was doing triple digits.
probably would have gone and fought it but its just to much of a hassle to drive back to S. carolina for a court date.

I’m thinking of moving to OH. I got busted doing 117 in a 55 and only got a ticket for $120 some bucks and no points. It was a state boy too. Here in PA I was caught on the turnpike doing 100+ and got hit hard with points/fines. Luckily I didn’t get the truck impounded… I was in the company suburban.

Township cops use the timing method, since they aren’t allowed to use radar guns. Just don’t speed and you won’t have to worry whether it’s accurate or not :finger: .

DAMN!!
:doh:

Eh, I got caught at 84 in a 55… The trooper was sitting 25 yards off the road. I shoulda gotten the $1000 fine + license suspension, but I apologized. :blah:

I thought they were supposed to be visible to traffic… Now this plane thing. :scared: :scared:

Anyways, township cops use the timing method, since they aren’t allowed to use radar guns. Just don’t speed and you won’t have to worry whether it’s accurate or not :finger: .

they have been using planes ever since i remember. it may just be new for butler county. on i-70 before you enter maryland there is a sign that says “speed inforced by airplanes”. the stop watch thing is also been used for ever, that is what VASCAR is.

only reason you didn’t get any points is because you are not a resident to that state, also i dont think it goes on your record either. same reason i didnt get any points for speeding down ocean city.

In that case I’ll stay here (where I dont need that stupid front plate) and only speed in OH.
:hahano:

uhmm, I mean… speeding is bad, mmmkay?

quite contrary. since they are using 3/10 mile long strips, you can be off as much as several 10ths of a sec and still be within a couple MPH. do the math yourself and see! d=rt

since they’ll prob never hand a ticket out for less than 10mph over, its pretty accurate

thats just plan out assholes

either way the cops have super reflexes so they are never off, have to to be able to push the button with a coffee and a donut. :smiley:

VASCAR is not simply a stopwatch. Its a whole system that is entered into the car and they can clock your speed even if they are riding in the oposite direction. It isn’t somthing thing that is easly removed and swpped into another curiser due to it being hard wired and having measuring componets that take readings from the officers vehicle as well.

Way it was explained to me they can follow and time you, use two points like the lines or be traveling in the opposite direction.

Agian this is just wat was explained to me from my retired fire chief who is a cop. :dunno:

that is not how my dad explains it. sure it is not just a watch but they have to be stopped. that is what the white lines are for. they cant be moving. :dunno:

The person who told me teaches all kinds of classes for different traffic situations including accident recreation, Vehicle code and law, and other things of that nature. I asked him the one day and he explained it. I;m not saying anything about your dad, just that it was explained that it was more involved than the traditional timing between the lines.

here you go, this came off a site of how vacar can measure…

Basic clocking methods:

Following - The officer flips TIME switch ON when target vehicle passes point “A”, then OFF when it passes point “B”. He then flips the DISTANCE switch ON as the police cruiser enters point “A” and OFF when he reaches point “B”. The calculated average speed is immediately displayed.

Opposite Direction - The officer flips the TIME switch ON when she sees the target vehicle pass point “B”. When the police car is opposite the front of the target vehicle (point “A”), she flips the TIME switch ON, and simultaneously flips the DISTANCE switch ON. When the police car passes point “B”, she turns the DISTANCE switch OFF. The calculated average speed is immediately displayed.

Parking - The police officer drives from point “A” to point “B” with the DISTANCE switch ON at point “A” and OFF at point “B”, and then parks off the roadway. As the target vehicle, viewed through the officer’s rear view mirror, passes point “A”, he turns the TIME switch ON. When the target vehicle reaches point “B”, the TIME switch is turned OFF. The calculated average speed is immediately displayed.

T-Intersection - The police officer is parked off the main roadway out of the driver’s normal view. As the rear of the target vehicle passes point “A”, the TIME switch is turned ON. The police vehicle then enters the road and upon passing point “A”, turns on the DISTANCE switch. The officer now proceeds to follow the target vehicle until it passes point “B”. At that time, the TIME switch is turned “OFF”. When the officer passes point “B”, he turns “OFF” the DISTANCE switch and the calculated average speed is immediately displayed.

Dial-A-Distance - Having previously measured the distance between “A” and “B”, the police officer parks her vehicle in a position of maximum concealment, yet where reference points “A” and “B” are clearly visible. She now dials the DISTANCE in on the thumbwheel switch. By using only the TIME switch, she can repeatedly clock cars until she observes a flagrant speeder.

EDIT- Here is the site where I got that info. It also has diagrams for each of the above methods http://www.vascarplus.com/Pages/How_it_works.htm