Poll: GTR or ZR1

Time for some open debate and brainstorming. I’m not buying either of these anytime soon - but I’ve had this discussion a few times, and I’m wondering what NYSpeed thinks.

You will be given one of these two cars, free & clear - and you’re not going to sell it in the forseeable future. You can have a winter car, but whichever of these that you choose will be your daily driver & “fun” car. Which would you choose & Why?

Nissan GT-R, MSRP (premium coupe) $71,900.
Chevy Corvette ZR1 - est. sticker $65,000 - $100,000

The GTR has already been to the Ring, and has been on the streets. The OEM numbers can be found here: http://www.kbb.com/KBB/NewCars/Specifications/2009_Nissan_GT-R_227496.aspx?SelectedTabIndex=1

The ZR1 is still subject to all kinds of speculation, but the only confirmed number can be found here: http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/04/the-numbers-are.html

ZR1. More power, manual, better looking imo, better handling, and it’s an LSx.

I think the vette looks better so it’s my choice.

the estimated sticker on the ZR1 is definitly NOT 65k…its gonna be almost double that!

GTR… i like gagety cars

:fry: That’s right, you can’t get the GTR with a traditional manual can you?

I’d recently read that the sticker should be $65k, altho its more commonly referenced as $90 - $100k.

:shrug:

Don’t expect to pick one up for the expected sticker price of $65,000. Some estimates will have the limited-run car going for as much as $150,000. It’s a collector’s car, and GM is positioning it as such.

Don’t dwell on it, I’m gonna “give” you the car.

Gonna have to vote with the new LSX hottness.

Reason: I would want it for street fun and minimal track use. And I see the ZR1 being more fun for me on the street. I have nothing technical wise to add. I just see myself having more fun behind the wheel of a zr1 on the streets.

Vette. Becuase it looks way betterand seems like it would be more fun. IMO the GT-R will be a bit more “rare” though, so there is the I-have-something-you-don’t-have factor

how do you figure it has better handling?

you know already.

Yes, but I was really hoping that you’d (along with a few others) post as to why… would make for some good discussion points. Which, insofar, are lacking. lol.

ZR1 for two reasons 1. Manual 2. LSX

The GTR… AWD, great handling, good looks, and not built by Chevy.

The GTR is closer to the Z06 in price

The GTR spec V would be a better comparison to the ZR1

I think I would buy the GTR over the vette because with that much power I think awd becomes more of a necessity. Im not totally sold on clutchless cars but I have never owned one. I can see myself wishing it was manual if I owned it, but who knows I might like it.

There really isn’t much to talk about because other than the specs on the zr1 we know nothing about it. No times, no modability, no price and no real world testing. I chose the zr1 solely on looks because thats the only thing you can really compare yet other than a bunch of paper stats that don’t really mean anything.

I wonder who the first one to bite the bullet and actually heavily mod a ZR1 will be. If LSx form holds true, they’ll be running 8’s before long…

Obviously no real-world data to back it up yet, other than the fact that it weighs over 700 lbs less, which is usually a good sign, but the top engineer flat-out said it would be the fastest production car in the world on any road course in the world. To make such a ballsy claim for a car that needs no such hype for sales suggests some pretty good test results.

I voted for… gasp… the GT-R.

After reading the C&D review of the GT-R I was hooked. I’m not a fan of AWD until you get into the 500+ HP club.

At that point if you want to really enjoy that HP, not stick it in a garage and tell people about how you own it, AWD becomes important. Unfortunately the vast majority of ZR1’s will never see the track and rarely see anything but the inside of a garage. I think the percentage of GT-R’s that really get driven will be much higher.

It was a tough call for me though because of that stupid flippy paddle shifter. Give the GT-R a traditional manual and it wins in a landslide.

Yes, 700#s less, but an extra couple 100 ft-lbs or tire melting torque can pretty easily negate that.

Also consider that the GTR is AWD and has already turned in an astonishing (relative) time on the Ring. Also bringing alot of electronic mgmt to the table.