POR-15...who has used this before

Last thread about this was back in 2007

Anyone use it lately? I have a few parts I may do. If I dont Ill just powder coat them.
Is it true POR-15 does not hold up well in the sun?
Works great on metal but has anyone tried aluminum, like a valve cover?

thx

Whatever you do don’t get it on your face.

Should come off right?!?!
Lol, I have read a lot of people saying do not get this stuff on you…wth

You know POR stands for Paint Over Rust… right? Why would you use it on an aluminum valve cover?

I’ve used it on suspension pieces etc… if you get it on you, youll have it on you for a week or two.

I did the bottom of the pickup truck bed last year. Like newman said though, it’s made to use over rust.

X…

just use some crinkle paint on a valve cover. POR 15 works great but not for what you are suggesting.

my friend did his entire Mercedes Benz 560SEL with Por15 - it was fucking sweet.

This. Wrinkle Coat by VHT. If you let it air dry it will come out great. If you bake it it’s even better.

Can you use this over painted surfaces that are rusted or does it have to be bare metal? Also, where do you get it locally?

Auto Refinishers ( Old Al Wil ) on Transit Rd. in Elma has a good selection of POR-15

Did not know what it stood for, thanks.

Reason I ask about valve cover is because this stuff is pricey so why not use it in another place. Since it comes out nice and smooth, I won’t use the entire can, I was thinking making the cover black.

I’ll look into wrinkle paint

Btw, k&s auto on river road carries it

I’ve heard very good things about it…

Or in your hair. I washed it a dozen times and was still finding bits of it. They aren’t kidding about wearing gloves.

I’ve used it and it works great.

I think Newman posted in his e30GTR thread that he got it on his hands and arms or something, and it took FOREVER to come off. FYI.

ive used it when repairing rotted/rusted floor pans. i always used it with gloves, cause of what people said, if you get it on you, it doesnt come off easilly…
for the absolute best results, there is a 3 step procedure, clean the area with the marine clean degreaser, then use the metal etcher metal ready. let dry, then por15 away. if the por 15 is going to be in direct sunlight, it will change a greenish color i think, it doesnt break down, just changes color if i remember correctly. a coat of spraypaint will prevent this.
and you can use por15 and paint right over fibreglass matt, it will harden like an epoxy.

por15 also hates moisture so watch out for any contamination, and make sure all surfaces are totally dry.

hope this helps.

POR or POA
I thought he new it was Paint Over Rust…not Paint Over Arms =P

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

thanks Mark

ive used this stuff plenty of times…if its exposed to sunlight alot, they make a topcoat for it. you can go over rust but i usually wirewheel it down first…you have to do a couple coats…but it goes a long ways.

if you get it in the spray can and not brush on, get a respirator. that shit will cause all kinds of havoc on your lungs.

Lol jeez
This stuff sounds like I should have a hazardous chemical form written up