Porsche Boxster opinions

Boxster S, say 2007 or newer with 30k or less miles.

The Murano is going to be paid off in 2 years (probably less since I plan on tossing extra money at the payments now that the kid it out of daycare) and I’m starting to look at replacements for my GTO. I was originally thinking Vette but I’m at a point in my life where I want something a bit nicer than another shitty GM interior. Plus I really think I want a convertible.

EDIT: And yes, I know people will say “aww, you couldn’t afford a 911”. Don’t care.

Fuck that, Boxters are actually a freaking ton of fun.

I would not hesitate to purchase one. Obviously check the common maintenance issues, etc.

by then you might be able to get a hardtop convertible Z4 with the twin turbo motor which is a much more fun car for the street.

that sounds way sweeter than a boxter to me.

Boxster*

Boxsters are cool, I’ve driven a z4 and it was also very fun. No idea if it was a TT though.

I’ve only driven one Z4, a base engine one, but came away unimpressed.

Kind of sums it up. Plus I’ve always hated the look of it. IMHO it’s the epitome of the things Chris Bangle did wrong while heading BMW design.

that’s fair to say… I do like the look of the boxster over the z4

If you weren’t looking for a vert I would definitely try to convince you on the 911 (even with higher miles), but the 911 cab is pretty ugly.

sounds like you’ve sold yourself on the boxster… they are great fun, just be sure you won’t end up wanting more power because it’s not worth modding.

S2000! Lol

a couple years ago I drove a 08 Z4 and a 08 Z4M then a 99 911. The porsche was fucking amazing to drive. The Z4M was nice, good power, and handling and such but the 911 was in a whole different league. If any of the 911 DNA transfers to the boxster that would be a amazing car even though it is not very fast. I remember keeping up with a certain boxster at dunville in my SHO.

edit: The newer vette interior is pretty nice. I am not sure what years you were looking at, but I would agree with you for sure on the early 2000’s.

My dad has an 07 boxsterS and it’s a great car to drive, fit and finish is good, brakes and handling are amongst the most confidence inspiring out there, and the overall ride is nice. The problems are pointed out already, it feels slow (even slower than it really is) and its not a 911. All in its a great car, but he is already looking to get a 911 (although he’s had 2 boxsters in the last 6 years, and a 993.

X…

Never thought I’d hear you wanting/considering a Porsche Boxster, I’d throw in Infiniti G37 Convertible too to the mix.

Stick with the Vette. Get a decent option package and suck it up. Heaters and cheap mods/repairs make you forget soft-touch interior surfaces very quickly. If not, just race a boxster.

I’d be fine following that path. (own a couple Boxsters then get a 911) :slight_smile:

I say go for it…i have driven a Z4 it was ok…little to chunky if you ask me…i personally love the look of the newer boxster’s. you get the right wheel combo and they look sweet…the wife and I were actually talking about an Audi TT vert…

Definitely want an 07 or newer S, because that’s when they switched to the Cayman’s 3.4. 0-60 dropped to 5.0 and a 13.4@104.6 mph 1/4. A little slower than my GTO’s 4.8 0-60 13.3 @ 107 1/4 mile but probably not enough to really notice, especially with the top down. I’ve never felt my GTO needed more power.

I drive a 986 S with the 3.2 on the regular, what Boxster’s lack in the speed department they make up in handling. Especially with a set of sticky tires given the mid engine setup.

Do they still suffer from this IMS problem?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/14-ENGINE-Intermediate_Shaft_Bearing/14-ENGINE-Intermediate_Shaft_Bearing.htm

And I have a hard time admitting to this, but I think I would take a lightly used z06…

I’d be plenty happy with a car that can do a low 13 1/4 mile