Project 10Sec $4K 4thGen

since emissions dont matter on your car whats the issue with being legal?

are you hell bent on going fuel injected? if that’s your reason for going lsx i can understand. but carb’d will save you a shit ton of money and with a fat shot of n2o down the strip on some slicks will push you into the 10’s fairly easily with a slightly worked turbo 350 or 400 and some mild gears out back. it’d still be streetable as hell and you’d save enough money to get yourself some dot tires for the road.

John , my car still runs … yours should seein as its a bolt on car, mine is not nothing d/t wise is stock and i pound the car whenever im in it so after a lottttttt of no2 and whatnot that car still got me my number and all i did was fry a set of rings ill take that lol.I coulda swore u told me ya gonna have woody run a ladder barcause it works and its cheap . . If not I’m sorry …yes the ladder is cheap and on paper it works but in real life it dont and is dangerous because its not only pivot points its leverage points off the line the ladder on the car will work hit the brakes and tell me its still safe esp at speed .to run a carbed on these cars ya lose the wipers ,cowl, and some of your windshield .yeah thaats legal lol

I wasnt thinking of space/height I guess.

turbo350,s and th400 are old school and not any better than the new o/d,s when built by people who know what to do and be built for the same price basically

I think what KK is trying to say in not as many words is that the prime objective of this project is to reach a budget. So of course some of the routes on how aspects are handled wont be ideal because ideal=money. He wants something that functions and performs at a budget, not something that is flawless with no kinks at all that would cost 2 or 3 times as much to build.

A chassis mount trq ARM . Remove the crossmemember behind tranny and use that for the trq ARM mnt to chassis and then build ARM . I told him to look at my setup and copy it lol

I decided I am putting leaf springs and CalTrac’s under it instead. LOL

Why would I carb an efi motor? When I bought an entire running parts truck, and pulled everything motor, trans, harness, ecu, etc from that to transplant into this? I am an EFI Live lic away from turning the key with the LQ4.

Remember this car is also going to be a showcase of my shop talent and its going to encompas all the elements we want to pump out of the shop for customers; LSx swaps, Custom turbo setups, stainless headers and exhaust work, machine work, suspension upgrades, cage work, safty items, paint and body, etc. So every aspect I am building this car around has its strick purpose.

Dude, carbs are for people who are scared of electronics :rofl

<3 you, Johnny. :hug

TRUE MOTHERFUCKIN STORY. :rofl

:crackup:crackup

dude your shot. carbed gen 1 sbcs are dinosaurs and in the end dollar for dollar way more expensive then a budget built LS based anything.

Mike I was suggesting you take a look at my S&W stuff and make your own version. If your hell bent on ladder bars best of luck I’m sure you can make it work, but everybody runs a t arm for a reason.

I knocked off their kit on the jetta :slight_smile:

In all honestly I could still do a trailing arm setup, no matter what axle I use. Like John said, make the slip mount up front based off the trans crossmember. Out back I would not attach it to the pumpkin, I would make plates and mount it off the axle tube, just to the side of the pumpkin. As long as there is room inside the oem tunnel. I dont want to get into moving floor sheet metal.

Cost to make a tube trailing arm would be probably the same as 2 ladder bars. Since the ladders need twice the joints, but are shorter where as the trailing arm is more tubing material but half the joints/bushings. I would still be making tubular and adjustable lower links and pan hard anyway, so its about the same price, who knows. No need to nickle and dime it to death.

To me its all about learning, R&D and doing. If I think it will work, I will try it. If it sucks, I can and do admit all the I told ya so’s, got no problem doing that… its worth it to me to give it a shot than not try at all.

Hell, if the car doesn’t sell when its done, I can try both solutions and test them side by side. You all know I like writing books in great detail. It would be a worthy tech article if I did.

I enjoy working on/driving carb’d vehicles. My/my dads Camaro is probably “tuned” better than most of the EFI shit on this site.

My father likes carb’d vehicles too, especially when they are in the cars they belong in. :lol I could never go backwards in technology like this young man is suggesting, it’s just not right.

Understandable, and I agree. It’s just funny when the ‘new school’ guys think that carbs can’t run right, etc

it was just a suggestion. i’ve been successful in the past with named setups. carbs are just real easy. if you’re spraying you better have an intricate ignition controller anyway. which is still easy as hell to hook up but even carb’d cars are getting more complicated with the times. i respect the lsx approach though. you already got the motor and all so that explains it.

EFI Live CoS#5 equipped and ready to do work.

You have that pinion angle dialed in good! LoL

What if the brake biased were changed or the rear suspension travel limited. Could this solve the possible rear lift issue that Meat Pawz says is typical of ladder bars?