Project: Do Work

To continue on with the build thread theme going on, heres my contribution!

After deciding it was time to retire my DD to winter beater and months of searching for a clean chassis in my price range, I found this S13. Alot of the old school son’ers will know it as green93SR’s old Sr20 drag car, but its been through acouple other owners on son as well through the years. Here it is when I bought it.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/sidewayz240/GetAttachment.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/sidewayz240/before2.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/sidewayz240/before3.jpg

I started off by getting a non hicas subframe, stripping it with plans to get everything powder coated, all new bushings, multi-link, blah blah.

Stripped and stuff

Braced!

Decided to take on the task of making my own multi-link toe and traction rods, so i made acouple jigs for them.

Bought some heim joints and lathed the misalignment spacers. More on these arms later on.

Also machined a piece for a set of broken Battle version T/C rods I picked up for next to nothing.

The good one and the broken one.

Some goodies I had collected, suspension technique sway bars and link, tein rods, bushings etc…

Meanwhile stipping of the front suspension started.

Huge mess

I wasnt planning on taking the engine out, but i seemed so simple with no crossmember or anthing. So i dropped it out the bottom.

‘97 Ka with an apparent 80 k on it, stripped of manifolds.

Intake mani all cleaned up, butterflys and all emissions removed. Going back together.

All done.

Misc stuff

Cleaned, primed, painted, and lookin good.

Got my stuff back from powdercoating!!! Big Thanks to the guys at Brightside Powdercoating! Check them out.

You cant tell from the pictures but the powder had silver flakes in it that look sweet in the sun. To bad its going under the car. Notice the badass “Trismo” power brace!

Poly bushings in!

Front subframe going back together!
Tein inner and outter tie rods with spacers, new boots and ES rack bushings

Engine cleaned up and going back together

The accent colour of choice. BASSBOAT style!

Clutch – Competetion clutch segmented kevlar. Also got a fidanza 11lbs flywheel going in thats not pictured.

Lightened crank pully VS. Stock

Good old Ka going back in after a box load of new sensors, gaskets and seals! Reliability FTW.

In!

Time for the rear suspension! Bings rucas and my custom toe and traction rods getting a coat of paint. New ball joints installed all around and F&R suspension technique sway bars.

Rear end out.

Hicas, meet sledge hammer.

Starting to go back together. Its an swsome feeling putting together a whole rear end and not getting your hands dirty. Ahh yes.

Grease nipples (zerk fittings) were installed in every rear spindle poly bushing to avoid sticktion, allowing me to keep then well lubed up and functioning at all times. I forgot to take any pictures of the bushing extraction/installation, lets just say I wasnt in the mood to take pictures.
My arms all done.

I didnt end up using them yet though, due to the fact that i fucked up the measurements somewhere along the way and didnt give them quite enough adjustability inwards. I didnt want to stall the completion of the car anymore so i stuck the stock arms on for the time being until i get my arms the correct length. Big thanks to Adam (s13counterpart) for doing the welding on all the arms, not so much on some other parts though… :slight_smile:

Insert here.

On all fours for the first time in months!

Battery relocation wire routing. 0 gauge

Custom battery box and ANL fuse.

Sparkles bitch.

Volk wheels after being disassembled, polished, cleaned. Fuck thats alot of work. 18x8.5 +19 with adapters. 235/40/18 front and 245/40/18 rear.

Finishing up shit, stock struts and springs still on

HSD’s installed!! Thanks to PUR auto, HSD’s offcial canadian distributor! Loving them so far, I opted for the 9k/7k setup, check them out if you looking for new coilovers. New spray bombed, rustless, wiperless JDM hatch as well!

Engine bay almost all sorted out, a few things needed cleaning up still

Finished the car about a month ago now, and took it up to barrie with me for a couple weeks to enjoy it while i still could. It rides awesome, my first experience with my own coilovers and i couldnt be happier, everything feels extremely solid, theres absolutly no slop in the steering wheel or rear end, and the poly subframe bushings are a perfect compromise between stock and sluminum in my opinion. Theres a few little things that need adressed, and the slave cylinder decided to take a shit on me, but all in all, I’m extremly happy with the end result.

Ka-t next season, interior and some body add-ons (side skirts, lip, etc) to come! I’ll keep updating the thread as things progress. Thanks for looking, comments and constructive critisim very welcome.

Do work son! (no pun intended!)

Nice job man engine bay is immaculate very nice…

Sweet progress man, I like the title…lol

Shit there’s more already.
Nice color scheme too, I like the engine bay choice.

wow thats insanely clean man good job! i gotta make my build thread have as many decent pics as yours as my build continues. what did you use to paint the tranny?

now this is a build thread, to the people who made a build thread with nothing to show for should use this as an example.
DO WORK SON!

Damm that’s one clean car, you didn’t take any short cuts at all. Good job!!!

Very nice, that’s dedication to doing it right :slight_smile:

You’re welcome… douche… :stuck_out_tongue:

Hahahaha, Trevor. Do you remember when I almost bought that car from green93sr like 5 years ago?

I knew you were doin shit right, but you never showed me, Im super impressed!!

Congrats man, hard work pays off :slight_smile:

wow, really like how you did all the suspension. Nice.

Awesome build. I wish I had the knowledge, courage to do everything myself like that.

Thanks for all the comments guys. It did pay off for sure, felt amazing to drive the car, even if it was only for acouple weeks.

I used some kind of highheat silver paint on the tranny.

And haha yea I remember that osad, wayy back when…

:thumright::thumleft: heyyyyyyyyyyyy

+1 for the trismo

and for the HSDs of course =)

PS

is the front steering rack the quicker hicas one?

Looks good man

daaaaaaamn, is there any rust on that thing at all? im used to dealing with rusted bolt after rusted bolt, that thing looks in great condition though and looks like ton of fun

cant wait for the ka-t

Nice Build Good job